2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah I haven't had time to call or test. I'm just getting back to work from being on vacation and I've been playing the catchup game. This weekend I should be able to get in the room and do testing.

As for the Dolby Atmos channels working on ATV they do just not for the Netflix App. See and other Movies sound great and all channels are working. The issue is the Netflix App does not send the height Channels during movies and I'm going to test with Netflix movies. Last night I was able to watch a few Episodes of Lucifer which is in Dolby 5.1 not Atmos. The sound did occur and I hear it coming from the height channels above me. Very weird since Netflix wasn't broadcasting Atmos.

So my testing this weekend will just confirm if Atmos Height work in Netflix Movies.

I'll try my best to call Apple today and file a complaint.

Yah I haven't had time to call or test. I'm just getting back to work from being on vacation and I've been playing the catchup game. This weekend I should be able to get in the room and do testing.

As for the Dolby Atmos channels working on ATV they do just not for the Netflix App. See and other Movies sound great and all channels are working. The issue is the Netflix App does not send the height Channels during movies and I'm going to test with Netflix movies. Last night I was able to watch a few Episodes of Lucifer which is in Dolby 5.1 not Atmos. The sound did occur and I hear it coming from the height channels above me. Very weird since Netflix wasn't broadcasting Atmos.

So my testing this weekend will just confirm if Atmos Height work in Netflix Movies.

I'll try my best to call Apple today and file a complaint.
My problem is on Apple tv+ as well as Netflix, so not just one app. I've not heard it yet on HBO Max, but haven't watched a lot in Atmos on there.

The replacement Apple tv box came in literally overnight. So I will probably pick it up later today.

My new balanced force 210 just arrived here at my home too. Thanks to Shawn at DaVinci Media! So I'm gonna be busy.

Well, a I watched several episodes of the new season of See in dolby Atmos and it never had a problem. That's after getting the new box. Maybe I had a defective unit. I must have watched a good 3 hours and not one hiccup.

Tonight I downloaded the brand new OS Apple released. Will have to wait and see if the problem comes back or if new problems arise. Hopefully all is well!

Robert, great to hear the new unit is delivering a more stable audio stream. That See series is one that is quite demanding with respect to connectivity between ATV and Processor / TV.

I have the latest TVOS on my units and all seems to be good with DV/Atmos streams from the various services.

Robert, great to hear the new unit is delivering a more stable audio stream. That See series is one that is quite demanding with respect to connectivity between ATV and Processor / TV.

I have the latest TVOS on my units and all seems to be good with DV/Atmos streams from the various services.
Yeah, I'm caught up on the series and so far I've had no audio issues.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I think it had to be hardware related. It was either the ethernet switch or the Apple tv box itself, or a combo of both. All I know is that I've not had a reoccurrence. After replacing both I've had no problems!

Yeah, I'm caught up on the series and so far I've had no audio issues.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I think it had to be hardware related. It was either the ethernet switch or the Apple tv box itself, or a combo of both. All I know is that I've not had a reoccurrence. After replacing both I've had no problems!

So my New 4K AppleTV is in and working great. Definitely was a Hardware issue IMHO. Haven't had any issues yet but still keeping my fingers crossed. Also went to the same scene again in El Camino at about 22 to 23 minutes into the movie where Jesse is in a holding cell in the ground and Todd comes up and talks to him from above ground. This time the dialogue was perfect and I could here Todd perfectly from the Dolby Atmos channels above. So now lets hope the electronic buzz never returns. LOL

So my New 4K AppleTV is in and working great. Definitely was a Hardware issue IMHO. Haven't had any issues yet but still keeping my fingers crossed. Also went to the same scene again in El Camino at about 22 to 23 minutes into the movie where Jesse is in a holding cell in the ground and Todd comes up and talks to him from above ground. This time the dialogue was perfect and I could here Todd perfectly from the Dolby Atmos channels above. So now lets hope the electronic buzz never returns. LOL
We both must have had faulty devices. My new box is still ok. I was worried the new OS that came out last week would wreck things but so far no trouble! I sure hope that the hardware fault was the cause and we dont have to worry about it anymore. I sucks to be enjoying and engrossed in your movie and then it is all ruined by audio digital glitches or complete silence of all sound!

Has this crept back up for anyone? I've been noticing this too with my Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and Marantz SR7013. It has historically been the low-pop, digi-wig audio, but tonight I had a loud pop and thought I may had even blown a tweeter (not happy). After this, I had the muting symptom, and saw on the Marantz display the decoder changed to stereo, to multi-ch, and back to Atmos before audio was restored. I've also only noticed on Atmos content, and maybe with accompanying Dolby Vision content. Going to see if I can find Atmos content that is not in DV and see if it continues. However, up until tonight, it was just annoying; now with this loud pop, I'm kind of P.O.'ed.

Has this crept back up for anyone? I've been noticing this too with my Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and Marantz SR7013. It has historically been the low-pop, digi-wig audio, but tonight I had a loud pop and thought I may had even blown a tweeter (not happy). After this, I had the muting symptom, and saw on the Marantz display the decoder changed to stereo, to multi-ch, and back to Atmos before audio was restored. I've also only noticed on Atmos content, and maybe with accompanying Dolby Vision content. Going to see if I can find Atmos content that is not in DV and see if it continues. However, up until tonight, it was just annoying; now with this loud pop, I'm kind of P.O.'ed.
Oh man. I hate to hear this. Mine has been performing wonderfully. Not a hint of a problem since I got my replacement box. Maybe yours is faulty too?

You say you have gen 2. Is that the same one I have? Got mine when it came out new earlier this year.

Replacing mine with a new one seems to have cured my woes, but hearing your trouble has me worried. I made an appointment at the Apple store and they had me come back 2 days later to swap my original for a new one.

I'm guessing you kept up with the new OS software patches? One thing you can do is factory reset yours and reinstall the OS. There is an option your can select to reinstall everything. Cant remember the exact option and what it's called..

Since the major OS update about two months ago, I've been getting an odd audio effect where it just cycles between silence and sound, about every half second. Pausing the feed and restarting tends to clear it. (My internet service is 600 mbps and I've deployed configuration options to avoid buffer bloat, so I know it's not a streaming problem.)

I believe this is a different problem than you're having, but it didn't do this on the prior OS. (This is the latest AppleTV version, purchased when it was most recently revised.)

Oh man. I hate to hear this. Mine has been performing wonderfully. Not a hint of a problem since I got my replacement box. Maybe yours is faulty too?

You say you have gen 2. Is that the same one I have? Got mine when it came out new earlier this year.

Replacing mine with a new one seems to have cured my woes, but hearing your trouble has me worried. I made an appointment at the Apple store and they had me come back 2 days later to swap my original for a new one.

I'm guessing you kept up with the new OS software patches? One thing you can do is factory reset yours and reinstall the OS. There is an option your can select to reinstall everything. Cant remember the exact option and what it's called..

Glad to hear your problem is resolved! Yes, I received a few months ago. I also have the first gen ATV 4k that I never had an issue with, since moved to my bedroom setup. After a bit of Googling last night (how I found this thread), I see it's happening to many others, including users of products like Sonos, etc. This leads me to think the problem is certainly with the Apple hardware, unless companies like Denon/Marantz, Sonos, etc. all use the same decoder hardware or other components that may be at fault. But, considering no other devices have been exhibiting this behavior, I'm back to blaming this one on Apple. I'm also hardwired GB ethernet with 500 Mbps data plan, but I'm not inclined to blame networking since I have other devices that stream Atmos/DV without issue, even via WiFi. And even if there were networking issues, the AppleTV should handle more gracefully rather than almost blowing my speakers (but, again, don't think that's it at all, and tvOS probably is handling network issues adequately).

I do keep up to date with patches, etc. To add, I'm a data engineer with a background in EE, so I'm pretty good with troubleshooting/problem solving, and have done most of the legwork already in ruling things out (makes support calls with front line reps complete misery, but understand the need to funnel the support tickets like they do). Going to see if I can arrange an exchange for a new unit based on everything else I've been reading.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well I'm starting to hear popping and clicking now on my Brand New ATV4K with my Marantz as well. My guess is the latest update. This time they are different from the sounds from before tho. So its definitely something with Marantz and Apple. On a side note; I haven't had single issue with my Sonos Beam in my bedroom which I transitioned my old ATV4K from the theater too. My thoughts are with Marantz. Which is also why I am looking into upgrading now from the AV7703.

Well I'm starting to hear popping and clicking now on my Brand New ATV4K with my Marantz as well. My guess is the latest update. This time they are different from the sounds from before tho. So its definitely something with Marantz and Apple. On a side note; I haven't had single issue with my Sonos Beam in my bedroom which I transitioned my old ATV4K from the theater too. My thoughts are with Marantz. Which is also why I am looking into upgrading now from the AV7703.

Thing that gets me is that there are complaints of this problem with other people using products from Sony, JBL, Sonos, etc.

Something else I forgot about until I was just packing up my ATV (appt at Genius Bar in 30 min for diag), occasionally, when adjusting the volume via Siri remote, it will jump like 3 dB, when usually it adjusts in 0.5 dB increments. Since I'm using HDMI CEC, I've tried both the TV and AVR remotes during these 'episodes' and they work correctly. But, the Siri remote will have this huge delay in adjusting the volume, and then just shoot up/down a few dB (it's not 'queuing' the button presses - in case anyone is thinking). So, may be unrelated, or perhaps it is indeed something faulty. Something else I noted when pulling my ATV packaging out, is that I forgot about this awful, mildew-like smell on everything. FWIW, the Apple support rep didn't even ask me any troubleshooting-related questions, and sort of just jumped to me taking it in after she researched the issue.

Since the major OS update about two months ago, I've been getting an odd audio effect where it just cycles between silence and sound, about every half second. Pausing the feed and restarting tends to clear it. (My internet service is 600 mbps and I've deployed configuration options to avoid buffer bloat, so I know it's not a streaming problem.)

I believe this is a different problem than you're having, but it didn't do this on the prior OS. (This is the latest AppleTV version, purchased when it was most recently revised.)
Similar to what I was having. My sound would cut out too at times, be out for maybe 5 seconds and then come back on. Other times it was digital beeping sounds almost like it was code.

Thank goodness now my problems are gone. I worry that it might return. Mine is still under warranty. If it happens again I will call them and open up the case again.

All of you with problems need to contact Apple so that they are aware of the issue, because when I talked to some of the techs they acted like mine was an isolated case. One tach did acknowledge to me that others were having issues with their Marantz receivers and the Apple TV sound.

Is yours plugged into a Marantz?

Glad to hear your problem is resolved! Yes, I received a few months ago. I also have the first gen ATV 4k that I never had an issue with, since moved to my bedroom setup. After a bit of Googling last night (how I found this thread), I see it's happening to many others, including users of products like Sonos, etc. This leads me to think the problem is certainly with the Apple hardware, unless companies like Denon/Marantz, Sonos, etc. all use the same decoder hardware or other components that may be at fault. But, considering no other devices have been exhibiting this behavior, I'm back to blaming this one on Apple. I'm also hardwired GB ethernet with 500 Mbps data plan, but I'm not inclined to blame networking since I have other devices that stream Atmos/DV without issue, even via WiFi. And even if there were networking issues, the AppleTV should handle more gracefully rather than almost blowing my speakers (but, again, don't think that's it at all, and tvOS probably is handling network issues adequately).

I do keep up to date with patches, etc. To add, I'm a data engineer with a background in EE, so I'm pretty good with troubleshooting/problem solving, and have done most of the legwork already in ruling things out (makes support calls with front line reps complete misery, but understand the need to funnel the support tickets like they do). Going to see if I can arrange an exchange for a new unit based on everything else I've been reading.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah, I had the very same experience as you. It was only my Apple tv with messed up sound. My Amazon Firestick 4k streamed Atmos just fine. It was only apple having the problem. I too have about 600 mbps connection through fiber optics. Fiber is all the way up to the house panel.

You should arrange an appointment at your local Apple store. Thats what I did. If you dont have a local store then youll have to figure out something else. With my case, I made the appointment and took it in. After the tech at the store went over everything with me he agreed that the only way to fix this was to give me a new device. He had to order one special from Apple. The Apple tv was shipped to the store and I brought mine back 2 days later and swapped it out for the new one. You keep the remote and everything else in the box, just return the Apple tv device itself. So they wont just have you swap it all out for a new complete Apple TV setup. This is why he had to order it special.

Once I got my new device, the problem is gone! Im hoping that it does not return. I cant remember when I did the swap, but it was sometime in the early summer I think. I had only had the new Apple tv 4k for a month or two before getting a new one.

Just got back from my Genius Bar appt at the Apple Store, and they are replacing the unit and Siri remote. I'll have to wait a couple days for it to ship, but I'll report back my findings with the new unit.

Just got back from my Genius Bar appt at the Apple Store, and they are replacing the unit and Siri remote. I'll have to wait a couple days for it to ship, but I'll report back my findings with the new unit.
Nice. New remote too! They wouldnt do that for me. When you get the new unit youll just need to update the OS probably. I hope your new one fixes the problem like mine did.

When exactly did you get your latest Apple TV? I preordered mine and got it the first day they shipped it. I cant remember when that was. Maybe it was in April? I wonder if there was a tech problem with the early production. I got my replacement in June or so I think.

Nice. New remote too! They wouldnt do that for me. When you get the new unit youll just need to update the OS probably. I hope your new one fixes the problem like mine did.

When exactly did you get your latest Apple TV? I preordered mine and got it the first day they shipped it. I cant remember when that was. Maybe it was in April? I wonder if there was a tech problem with the early production. I got my replacement in June or so I think.

They're doing the remote because I also mentioned my problem with the volume jumping 3dB at a time (instead of 0.5 increments) in the event it was relevant to their troubleshooting process. Which, interestingly, is also an intermittent problem like the Atmos popping; though, could be totally unrelated. But, when encountering this issue, my other remotes (TV and AVR) control the volume just fine; it's only the Siri remote that acts up. And, it's not like a delay where I press the button a few times and then it finally catches up; I press Vol Up/Down, it lags a sec and finally changes the volume in a 0.5 dB increment, then I press it one additional time, and it jumps like 3 or 3.5dB (I'm using the decibel volume display on my AVR where they show as negative, and move towards 0 as you increase the volume).

Purchase date was 2021-09-16, although I bought from Amazon so I guess it could have been sitting around the warehouse for a bit. It had a pretty bad mildew smell when I opened it, enough so that it kind of hit me in the face upon unpacking. Didn't think much of it at the time since there were no visible signs of damage to the box or unit. Also probably unrelated, but who knows.

Glad to hear you've been having a problem-free experience since then. I'm going to reconnect mine to use until the replacement comes. I'm going to try disabling the "Match Frame Rate" and "Match Content" settings in the meantime to see if it helps at all; I was reading some posts on various audio issues, so figured it's worth a shot. Maybe that will help someone else, too, if they ever have trouble and stumble onto this thread looking for answers. I'll report back to this thread should I find out anything more.

Back