2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

whathappenedtomymoney

Reaction score
This shouldnt affect our problem, but I just noticed that all the menus on Apple tv are in Dolby Vision even if you have Match Content in video options turned on. So watching Better Call Saul in 4k, but not DV, the screen had to turn black before the menu comes back on as it switched into Dolby Vision mode for the menu.
Correct, it is working as intended. I believe QMS is supposed to resolve this minor annoyance.

whathappenedtomymoney

Reaction score
tvOS 15.5 dropped, although I am not optimistic for any fixes.

So, experienced something odd the other day. Was watching some Netflix content the other night (DV/DA, though I have Atmos disabled in the ATV so I'm not bothered with the popping), and was getting these brief video stutters (have seen this before, frequently in fact). But, this time also noticed some video "sparkles" you would traditionally associate with an HDMI/cable issue. What surprised me was that doing a hard reboot on the ATV (no other devices restarted) seemed to resolve it. My expectation lately has been that the ATV will get a little sloppy in performance over a period of many sleep cycles, but I was surprised that it would degrade the HDMI in such a way until a hard reboot.

whathappenedtomymoney

Reaction score

IraG

Reaction score

So, experienced something odd the other day. Was watching some Netflix content the other night (DV/DA, though I have Atmos disabled in the ATV so I'm not bothered with the popping), and was getting these brief video stutters (have seen this before, frequently in fact). But, this time also noticed some video "sparkles" you would traditionally associate with an HDMI/cable issue. What surprised me was that doing a hard reboot on the ATV (no other devices restarted) seemed to resolve it. My expectation lately has been that the ATV will get a little sloppy in performance over a period of many sleep cycles, but I was surprised that it would degrade the HDMI in such a way until a hard reboot.
With tvOS regressions reaching the point that there are even reports of Gen 1 units suffering the Atmos dropouts, did you think the video was safe from Apple's incompetence?

Robert D

Reaction score

Ugh. That sounds horrible. I've not had any of that. I wonder if it's a 15.5 issue. I'm holding off on that for awhile.

Robert D

Reaction score
With tvOS regressions reaching the point that there are even reports of Gen 1 units suffering the Atmos dropouts, did you think the video was safe from Apple's incompetence?
Sounds like they need to hire a new engineering team. I've never had this experience with any other electronics. Microsoft's Windows has had some big issues, but they get resolved within a reasonable time. Apple's problem seems to have even gotten worse. You can bet that if the problem was with their phone it would have been fixed by now.