2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I mentioned it, but my volume issue is still present after 15.3 beta (thought it was resolved). Can’t help but think it’s somewhat related as didn’t happen with gen1 nor 14.7.

HOw is yours doing? Same questions as above.
I changed a number of components in my system - most notably the processor - and while I haven't had any drops lately, I'm on a processor that seems to get HDMI a bit... "wrong." The sound quality is simply fantastic, but there seems to be a problem when HDMI changes mode, and audio isn't muted long enough while that happens so there is a single click or pop that occurs.

While the click is far worse on the AppleTV than other devices, I can't say it's the sole fault of Apple. Other owners of devices in the same processor family have been eagerly waiting for months for a firmware update that fixes it. If that is released soon, I can report back if it improves or resolves the AppleTV issue. I tend to run the volume at a much higher setting on AppleTV than my DirecTV feed - Apple seems to have a different philosophy behind their native gain levels - so that probably is the reason for the "pop" being much more noticeable on AppleTV.

I have an in-wall HDMI cable that I plan to replace too, to see if that helps. Belkin doesn't make one quite long enough, so I ordered a Wireworld cable that supports 48Gb bandwidth and 8k video, meaning I should be future-proof for 5+ years. I'll definitely post if that has any positive impact.

I forget where you are with your problem. Same question. Is the problem worse, better, or the same for you now? Have you contacted Apple?

To be honest I haven't heard the issue in my room for quite some time. But I haven't watched any Netflix either, only movies that were purchased through Apple Movies. Also I've been watching a lot of Disney stuff and it hasn't acted up ever. I can go back and try Netflix out and see if it happens again and setup a recording to try and catch it. But I've probably watched a dozen movies and tons of Apple TV+ and Disney content and no issues since I last posted. Also Paramount+ has no issues.

I changed a number of components in my system - most notably the processor - and while I haven't had any drops lately, I'm on a processor that seems to get HDMI a bit... "wrong." The sound quality is simply fantastic, but there seems to be a problem when HDMI changes mode, and audio isn't muted long enough while that happens so there is a single click or pop that occurs.

While the click is far worse on the AppleTV than other devices, I can't say it's the sole fault of Apple. Other owners of devices in the same processor family have been eagerly waiting for months for a firmware update that fixes it. If that is released soon, I can report back if it improves or resolves the AppleTV issue. I tend to run the volume at a much higher setting on AppleTV than my DirecTV feed - Apple seems to have a different philosophy behind their native gain levels - so that probably is the reason for the "pop" being much more noticeable on AppleTV.

I have an in-wall HDMI cable that I plan to replace too, to see if that helps. Belkin doesn't make one quite long enough, so I ordered a Wireworld cable that supports 48Gb bandwidth and 8k video, meaning I should be future-proof for 5+ years. I'll definitely post if that has any positive impact.
Just curious, what new processor are you using?

It’s an Emotiva RMC-1.

Edited to add: many thanks to ttocs for all his effort testing, documenting and supporting multiple subwoofers, both in this community and the board at Emotiva. I largely opted for the RMC-1 specifically because he uses one of their processors, and being on a similar system seemed like a good idea for the best possible chance of success configuring multiple subwoofers.

The amazing sound quality from it has been a totally welcome surprise, above and beyond any expectations I had. I can put up with an occasional "tick" or "click" in exchange for that. While the Emotiva isn't perfect - and likely none of the processors on the market are - I'm very, very happy with it.

Last edited:
Just a quick note: tvOS 15.3 dropped today. I did some quick testing with problematic content and no issues, but not at all convinced the problem is gone. Will test more tonight.

To be honest I haven't heard the issue in my room for quite some time. But I haven't watched any Netflix either, only movies that were purchased through Apple Movies. Also I've been watching a lot of Disney stuff and it hasn't acted up ever. I can go back and try Netflix out and see if it happens again and setup a recording to try and catch it. But I've probably watched a dozen movies and tons of Apple TV+ and Disney content and no issues since I last posted. Also Paramount+ has no issues.
Thats good. I had trouble with Apple tv+ in the past bad. Right now ive only had a few drops that last about3 seconds and some clicks. It is rare on Apple tv+ for me but it still happens.

Just a quick note: tvOS 15.3 dropped today. I did some quick testing with problematic content and no issues, but not at all convinced the problem is gone. Will test more tonight.
Ok. Yeah, if your problem is like mine you may have to watch several hours of Atmos content before it happens. Im watching the next Dexter now on Showtime and it isnt in Atmos so I will be out of the picture until I finish this season. If you have good luck with it I may try and update after youve had it going for a week or more with no issues. I could always watch a movie with Atmos too.

Well, Apple wasnt able to call me. I think one of you had the exact same problem. The phone here rang once at 3 pm, the time the apple tech said he would call, but then the call ended after just one ring. I checked my email and it said they werent able to get through to me.

I called back and the case was taken by another agent and she will call me on Monday with something hopefully. She took more information about my hardware and sent that back to engineering. She also took this web site down and the name of this thread.

Well, Apple wasnt able to call me. I think one of you had the exact same problem. The phone here rang once at 3 pm, the time the apple tech said he would call, but then the call ended after just one ring. I checked my email and it said they werent able to get through to me.

I called back and the case was taken by another agent and she will call me on Monday with something hopefully. She took more information about my hardware and sent that back to engineering. She also took this web site down and the name of this thread.
Pretty much what happened to me, only he said he called and it just rang forever (VM never picked up). I never had any missed calls or voicemails.

I'll definitely be testing as it seems everything I want to watch on Netflix lately is in DV/DA.

eta: think I'm going to subscribe to HBOMax for a month to check out some content I want to watch; will report back

Pretty much what happened to me, only he said he called and it just rang forever (VM never picked up). I never had any missed calls or voicemails.

I'll definitely be testing as it seems everything I want to watch on Netflix lately is in DV/DA.

eta: think I'm going to subscribe to HBOMax for a month to check out some content I want to watch; will report back
Great. I love HBOMax. Been a subsriber for many many years. When you subscribe through cable you automatically get a membership to HBOMax too. At least I do through my company. Same with Showtime's streamer.

I will see what happens on the phone call Monday. Hopefully she is able to reach me. She said she will send an email with a link there to reach her if something goes wrong.

Just watched Extraction on Netflix and sound issues happened almost towards the end when they are in a firefight on the bridge. Sounded great right up to that point tho. LOL

Last night I watched a DV/Atmos show on Netflix and the 1st episode was fine, but the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd episode was full of the ticking/clicking artifacts until the audio completely dropped out, requiring restarting the stream. It is my belief that as of the tvOS 15.3 public release, Apple has not changed a single line of code to address the Atmos Gen 2 issue.

But enjoy the many security updates while the Atmos sound keeps cutting out. It seems that is about all the Apple TV 4K will get. And we only get the security updates because Apple has no choice but to fix them across all their more profitable product lines. If the ATV4K Atmos issue does not affect any other Apple products, it is very unlikely to get fixed.

Last edited:
Last night I watched a DV/Atmos show on Netflix and the 1st episode was fine, but the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd episode was full of the ticking/clicking artifacts until the audio completely dropped out, requiring restarting the stream. It is my belief that as of the tvOS 15.3 public release, Apple has not changed a single line of code to address the Atmos Gen 2 issue.

But enjoy the many security updates while the Atmos sound keeps cutting out. It seems that is about all the Apple TV 4K will get. And we only get the security updates because Apple has no choice but to fix them across all their more profitable product lines. If the ATV4K Atmos issue does not affect any other Apple products, it is very unlikely to get fixed.
I think you're right. I will probably end up eventually getting the nvidia shield pro if this doesn't get fixed by spring. Very disappointed in Apple. I'm not giving up on them yet though.

So some of you have personally used the Nvidia Shield Pro for streaming shows in DV and Atmos, and experienced no problems at all?

Back