2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 ATV4K units connected to my Denon AVR. The Atmos on the Gen 1 unit works flawlessly on tvOS 15.2.

I installed the latest tvOS 15.3 beta last night on my Gen 2 unit and tried playing a DV/Atmos program. I heard some ticking sounds right at the start, but when I restarted the program, the audio dropped out within a minute and did not recover until I stopped and restarted the stream. My initial opinion is that there is no improvement in 15.3 with respect to the Atmos problem.

Any reports to the contrary may be due to the placebo effect, or a misplaced faith that Apple will fix the problem. With the Apple TV user base being relatively small, and Atmos setups likely comprising only a small fraction of that, I doubt Apple sees this as a problem worth fixing. Without 100% working Atmos, the ATV4K Gen 2 cannot be considered a high end streaming device. If Apple isn't going to fix the problem, they should offer us a refund.
The biggest problem could be that the majority of APTV4k users have no issues. If they did it would be all over Apples website along with numerous other media reports. I have both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 and have zero issues with DV/Atmos.

The biggest problem could be that the majority of APTV4k users have no issues. If they did it would be all over Apples website along with numerous other media reports. I have both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 and have zero issues with DV/Atmos.
Are you streaming the shows through an AVR? What's your setup, what brands? How long have you been using the gen 2? More feedback is good.

Mine was screwed up from day 1.

The latest Roku Ultra and Shield Pro models should be fine for both DV and Atmos. There shouldn't be much difference in image and sound quality. However, I don't believe the Roku will match the frame rate for Netflix or Hulu. The Shield has a "match frame rate (beta)" option you need to select (I believe after starting the stream). Both support bitstreaming, though. I am not crazy about Roku's simplistic interface, but it is rock solid. The Shield TV has the most sophisticated interface, but is not without its quirks.

Why not just get a Gen 1 ATV4K? Amazon has the 32GB version for $154.95 (new). You can use the Gen 2 remote with it. It has seamless frame rate matching, but of course no bitstreaming (which is why we are here).

I believe there is an online option to post feedback on the tvOS 15.3 beta.
If I end up throwing out the Apple I will go with a different brand. Probably try nvidia. For now I'm waiting to see if Apple gets their act together. I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and call them back tomorrow to let them know the replacement unit didn't work either.

Are you streaming the shows through an AVR? What's your setup, what brands? How long have you been using the gen 2? More feedback is good.

Mine was screwed up from day 1.
I was using a Denon AVR X6200 with a Sony LCD 65930e. Hooked Up Gen 1 APTV4k hdmi through the Denon. No issues. I now have the Gen 2 with a Marantz AV7706 Sony Oled 77a80j. Running the APTV Through the Marantz. Belkin HDMI 2.1 cable. Netflix,HBO, Apple TV Disney plus. DV/Atmos works No problem

I was using a Denon AVR X6200 with a Sony LCD 65930e. Hooked Up Gen 1 APTV4k hdmi through the Denon. No issues. I now have the Gen 2 with a Marantz AV7706 Sony Oled 77a80j. Running the APTV Through the Marantz. Belkin HDMI 2.1 cable. Netflix,HBO, Apple TV Disney plus. DV/Atmos works No problem
Your 2nd gen setup is about the same as mine. Its really strange how you can be fine and we aren't. I'm using hardwired ethernet with a 600 mbps rate too. The signal tested good in all regards. I've streamed Amazon firestick through there with no issues, as well as my Panasonic 4k player. Only Apple has a problem.

How long have you been using Atmoa on it now?

My Marantz unit is a AVR, model number SR8012. It's 11 channel Atmos as well. Latest firmware.

If yours acts up like mine now, if you don't watch a lot of atmos it could take a month or more for the problem to show. Depends on how much Atmos and how many hours.

Tv is a 77 inch LG OLED too.

My Marantz unit is a AVR, model number SR8012. It's 11 channel Atmos as well. Latest firmware.

If yours acts up like mine now, if you don't watch a lot of atmos it could take a month or more for the problem to show. Depends on how much Atmos and how many hours.

Tv is a 77 inch LG OLED too.
I certainly don’t binge out on Atmos programming everyday. Watch a lot of sports news etc.. Seems frustrating for sure.

I certainly don’t binge out on Atmos programming everyday. Watch a lot of sports news etc.. Seems frustrating for sure.
Yeah, I don't watch it everyday usually. It's only when I watch a series on Netflix or Apple tv+ that it really shows up. It's totally random too. I can get through an entire 2 hour movie no problem, and then tonight about 8 minutes into The Witcher episode 7 it starts up again.

Just spent over an hour on the phone with Apple and reported the issue. They had my old case number, so everything should be filed under that. I was able to talk to a senior tech person and he is going to show it to others. I think engineers might actually get to see everything. I filled him in with all of the details, why we were on the phone so long. He is going to call me back tomorrow after speaking with others. Not sure if this is more of a response than what you guys got.

Let me know if any of you have had this escalated up to engineering. It would be awesome if most of you could call in NOW and report your problems. Try using the old case number you had. Mine evidentally had been closed, but it must have still been in the system because when I opened a new case with the 1st girl I spoke to on the tech line it game me my old # back again.

I think if they get more of us calling in about this that it could help.

He had me hold down the play/pause button and the volume down button at the same time. When I did that it sent a diagnostic file that was about 185 MB big to our apple phone through airplay. And then he sent us an email with a link in there to send the file to them through the email. Have any of you done that yet?

Just spent over an hour on the phone with Apple and reported the issue. They had my old case number, so everything should be filed under that. I was able to talk to a senior tech person and he is going to show it to others. I think engineers might actually get to see everything. I filled him in with all of the details, why we were on the phone so long. He is going to call me back tomorrow after speaking with others. Not sure if this is more of a response than what you guys got.

Let me know if any of you have had this escalated up to engineering. It would be awesome if most of you could call in NOW and report your problems. Try using the old case number you had. Mine evidentally had been closed, but it must have still been in the system because when I opened a new case with the 1st girl I spoke to on the tech line it game me my old # back again.

I think if they get more of us calling in about this that it could help.

He had me hold down the play/pause button and the volume down button at the same time. When I did that it sent a diagnostic file that was about 185 MB big to our apple phone through airplay. And then he sent us an email with a link in there to send the file to them through the email. Have any of you done that yet?
Thanks for taking the time to call in again. This sounds like my current status as well (support rep talking with engineers, supposedly).

I also ran the diags and sent via the same method.

Thanks for taking the time to call in again. This sounds like my current status as well (support rep talking with engineers, supposedly).

I also ran the diags and sent via the same method.
Ok. When did you do that? I told them about this thread but nobody was interested. I at least wanted them to know that there are customers out there that have gotten together and shared information.

He's supposed to call me back tomorrow, seems fast.

Ok. When did you do that? I told them about this thread but nobody was interested. I at least wanted them to know that there are customers out there that have gotten together and shared information.

Back on page 6, 11/30/21:
https://www.martinloganowners.com/t...dolby-atmos-problems.18919/page-6#post-198961
I also sent my rep the link to this thread. He was very eager at first; nowadays I wonder if he might have died.

Tier 1 Support: You are told it's something else or some applicable variant of "You're holding it wrong." If you are lucky, they will give you a replacement.

Tier 2 Support: You are told that they will talk to Engineering and get back to you. Expect a prompt response because they aren't really going to talk with Engineering -- tier 2 support doesn't even have their contact info. When they do get back to you, you are told Engineering said it's something else or some applicable variant of "You're holding it wrong." If you are lucky, they will give you a replacement.

Tier 3 Support: This only applies to iPhones, iPads, computers, and other high volume/profit product lines. There is no tier 3 support for the Apple TV.

Kidding aside, thanks for pursuing this. Unfortunately, it seems as if Apple doesn't have a system where they can look up a specific problem and see what the solution is (unless that is reserved for tier 3 support). Every time one of us submits a ticket, it is as if they have never heard of the problem and have to reinvent the wheel. I am sure there are Apple support techs that are familiar with this problem and its status. We are simply too well insulated from such people. Lack of transparency is one of the things I like least about Apple.

Last edited:
Back on page 6, 11/30/21:
https://www.martinloganowners.com/t...dolby-atmos-problems.18919/page-6#post-198961
I also sent my rep the link to this thread. He was very eager at first; nowadays I wonder if he might have died.
So it seems he never called back or communicated at all? Your feedback was better than mine because you even gave them a video showing the issue happen. Couldnt have done more than what you did. I will report back on what happens with me tomorrow. The guy sounded really promising on the phone. I will keep up hopes for now.

Tier 1 Support: You are told it's something else or some applicable variant of "You're holding it wrong." If you are lucky, they will give you a replacement.

Tier 2 Support: You are told that they will talk to Engineering and get back to you. Expect a prompt response because they aren't really going to talk with Engineering -- tier 2 support doesn't even have their contact info. When they do get back to you, you are told Engineering said it's something else or some applicable variant of "You're holding it wrong." If you are lucky, they will give you a replacement.

Tier 3 Support: This only applies to iPhones, iPads, computers, and other high volume/profit product lines. There is no tier 3 support for the Apple TV.

Kidding aside, thanks for pursuing this. Unfortunately, it seems as if Apple doesn't have a system where they can look up a specific problem and see what the solution is (unless that is reserved for tier 3 support). Every time one of us submits a ticket, it is as if they have never heard of the problem and have to reinvent the wheel. I am sure there are Apple support techs that are familiar with this problem and its status. We are simply too well insulated from such people. Lack of transparency is one of the things I like least about Apple.
You said it better than I can. I agree 100% with what you said here. You said everything I wanted to. I hope that maybe since you guys went through this that my case will turn out different. Who knows. Like you say, we are insulated from the actual engineers and will never be able to communicate with them about this. Both of the techs I spoke to today said that they have heard other reports about the sound issues, so maybe the #s are starting to mount.

I would think that the engineers there would want to fix this problem. Chances are they are probably overworked and have to prioritize.

I have been having this issue too. Going mad trying to figure out the problem since I was testing every other part of my system. I am going to try my FireTV and Roku Ultra streamers and see if that clears up the problem.
Where are you on the problem? Has the issue gotten better,worse, or no change since the latest OS updates? Have you contacted Apple?

So I watched two movies on Netflix last night and it happened at least 3 times. Also I'm a firm believer that Netflix does not broadcast the Dolby Atmos Height Channels in my system. And if it does its so low I can't tell. I watched Kate and it sounded great but I'm pretty sure nothing came out of the 4 overhead speakers.

Tonight I'm going to test by turning off the amps to all other speakers and only keep the amp on for the overheads. Then play a few scenes in Netflix Movies that should have overhead playback and see what I get.

Few movies I'll test with tonight on Netflix are The Millers vs the Machines, Roma, El Camino, and Kate again. I'll let you know.

Also Apple Movies like Ready Player One do work great and is my test/showcase media I it use because I have the 4K Disc as well for reference. So I know its not a AppleTV4K issue as a whole.

If I have time today or tomorrow I'll reach out to Marantz. Thanks for that info.
I forget where you are with your problem. Same question. Is the problem worse, better, or the same for you now? Have you contacted Apple?

Just experienced my first issue with HBOMax last night while watching the new Matrix. The issue only came up after I had paused the movie for a few minutes and only once. The noise was very faint but even my wife heard it. Netflix is still horrible. Had to finish the new season of The Witcher in my bedroom that has a Sonos Beam sound bar because it was unbearable to watch in the theater. Shame because I am an Apple fan.
Im reading through this again and forgot that you have problems on HBO Max. I have not had issues on that yet, nor on Amazon's streaming. I dont watch a ton of Atmos shows on those though. Netflix and Apple are where I watch most of the Atmos content since their new series and movies are in Atmos.

Thats disappointing to hear about HBO too.

So it seems he never called back or communicated at all? Your feedback was better than mine because you even gave them a video showing the issue happen. Couldnt have done more than what you did. I will report back on what happens with me tomorrow. The guy sounded really promising on the phone. I will keep up hopes for now.
Went through a period early on when I kept reaching out to him where he would eventually return and said he was trying to call but couldn’t get through due to no answer of the call (which I don’t believe to be true). So I gave him my work number which rings here and finally he could magically reach me on my cell again. This is when he said the engineers suggested the Belkin cable which he was suppose to ship (early-mid Dec?). Never received the cable and after many attempts to reach him, he suggested buying that particular one and saving the receipt so I could return. Finally broke down and ordered the cable and then I updated him with the unsuccessful results. Then he suggested I swap out the tv and AVR (which we know is not the issue, ie gen1 units working fine, etc) but need to jump through the hoops. So I reported back that didn’t work either and awaiting next steps. There’s probably more detail in my post history as I’ve documented every step in the thread but that’s the gist.

Back