2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the report. I won't be updating my OS! I'm still on the OS that's several stages old and it works ok for Atmos. I will continue to do that until I hear good things on here about the new updates. Such a shame they can't get this right. They NEED to just drop Atmos altogether if they can't support it. As far as I'm concerned, it is false advertising to claim the Apple tv4k 2nd gen supports Atmos. The public has no idea when they buy one, and then find out later.

Atmos is working flawlessly on my Gen 1 ATV4k. I noticed that 2 of my Denon's 7 rear HDMI inputs are free. I think I will connect my Gen 2 unit for testing purposes as new tvOS versions come out.

Apple has released beta 3 of tvOS 15.3 to developers, and it has not fixed the Atmos problem according to that other thread I posted a link to several days ago. Here it is again:

Netflix Dolby Atmos problems with new Apple TV 4k

Atmos is working flawlessly on my Gen 1 ATV4k. I noticed that 2 of my Denon's 7 rear HDMI inputs are free. I think I will connect my Gen 2 unit for testing purposes as new tvOS versions come out.

Apple has released beta 3 of tvOS 15.3 to developers, and it has not fixed the Atmos problem according to that other thread I posted a link to several days ago. Here it is again:

Netflix Dolby Atmos problems with new Apple TV 4k
Is your gen 1 running on the latest OS?So 15.2 is the newest that available, and 15.3 is in beta?

So if the gen 1 runs fine on the new OS and the gen 2 does not, it's got to be some kind of hardware change.

Is your gen 1 running on the latest OS?So 15.2 is the newest that available, and 15.3 is in beta?

So if the gen 1 runs fine on the new OS and the gen 2 does not, it's got to be some kind of hardware change.

Yes. My Gen 1 ATV4k is on the latest tvOS 15.2 public release. I had moved it to the family room when I got the Gen 2 "upgrade". It was connected to a 85" Samsung Q90T (no DV), and to an AVR through eARC with only 2 speakers (no Atmos), so there was no reason not to update it. I was the only one using the ATV4k in the family room, so a few days ago I moved it back to my home theater setup in the basement until the Atmos issue in the Gen 2 units is resolved -- if it ever is.

In my early messages I had hypothesized that there was a subtle hardware change in the Gen 2 units (A12 Bionic) that the tvOS was not optimized for. I wouldn't think they do much more than integrate the latest processor in each new generation, especially with Apple's low level of effort in the product line.

Though I haven't tested the Gen 2 unit on tvOS 15.2 for many hours, it is possible that the Atmos issues on my replacement unit are occurring at about the same frequency as they were with my launch day Gen 2 unit. That would indicate that tvOS 15.x made the problem significantly worse, but also that a future update to tvOS can fix the problem. If not, then I spent $200 on a Gen 2 remote upgrade.

Last edited:
Thank you for the report. I won't be updating my OS! I'm still on the OS that's several stages old and it works ok for Atmos. I will continue to do that until I hear good things on here about the new updates. Such a shame they can't get this right. They NEED to just drop Atmos altogether if they can't support it. As far as I'm concerned, it is false advertising to claim the Apple tv4k 2nd gen supports Atmos. The public has no idea when they buy one, and then find out later.

There is a fine line (if there is any line at all) between "false advertising" and "marketing".

Since I bought the Gen 2 for DV and Atmos support, I feel cheated and that Apple should refund our purchase due to the unacceptable Atmos issues.

Last edited:
Yes. My Gen 1 ATV4k is on the latest tvOS 15.2 public release. I had moved it to the family room when I got the Gen 2 "upgrade". It was connected to a 85" Samsung Q90T (no DV), and to an AVR through eARC with only 2 speakers (no Atmos), so there was no reason not to update it. I was the only one using the ATV4k in the family room, so a few days ago I moved it back to my home theater setup in the basement until the Atmos issue in the Gen 2 units is resolved -- if it ever is.

In my early messages I had hypothesized that there was a subtle hardware change in the Gen 2 units (A12 Bionic) that the tvOS was not optimized for. I wouldn't think they do much more than integrate the latest processor in each new generation, especially with Apple's low level of effort in the product line.

Though I haven't tested the Gen 2 unit on tvOS 15.2 for many hours, it is possible that the Atmos issues on my replacement unit are occurring at about the same frequency as they were with my launch day Gen 2 unit. That would indicate that tvOS 15.x made the problem significantly worse, but also that a future update to tvOS can fix the problem. If not, then I spent $200 on a Gen 2 remote upgrade.
Im thinking maybe I can find a gen 1 unit for sale somewhere used! So the new remote works on the old gen ATV4k? So what are the technical difference between the old and new gen unit? Doesnt seem like much practically speaking.

There is a fine line (if there is any line at all) between "false advertising" and "marketing".

Since I bought the Gen 2 for DV and Atmos support, I feel cheated and that Apple should refund our purchase due to the unacceptable Atmos issues.
Me too. I bought it just for the Atmos on Netflix really. Amazon only had Atmos on HBO Max at that time. I still need to check to see if it added support for Netflix and Apple tv now. Amazon also had Atmos on Amazon shows.

If they are going to sell the new Apple TV with these problems, they need to have a disclaimer spelling out the big possibility that it may not work right on your hardware. Buyer beware sort of thing.

Im thinking maybe I can find a gen 1 unit for sale somewhere used! So the new remote works on the old gen ATV4k? So what are the technical difference between the old and new gen unit? Doesnt seem like much practically speaking.

Why stick with an Apple device? I suggest you look into the nVidia Shield or Roku. You were happy with your Amazon device, so you already set the bar pretty low.

The latest Roku Ultra (4800X) and Roku Express 4K/4K+ (3940X/3941X) are apparently the only external Roku devices that support Atmos on Netflix. Other streaming services, such as HBOmax, Disney+, and AppleTV+) do support Atmos on other external Roku devices.

They sell the Gen 2 remote as an upgrade, so it is backwards compatible. Other than the remote, there were no significant Gen 1 to Gen 2 differences for my use.

Last edited:
Me too. I bought it just for the Atmos on Netflix really. Amazon only had Atmos on HBO Max at that time. I still need to check to see if it added support for Netflix and Apple tv now. Amazon also had Atmos on Amazon shows.

If they are going to sell the new Apple TV with these problems, they need to have a disclaimer spelling out the big possibility that it may not work right on your hardware. Buyer beware sort of thing.

A disclaimer on a hardware/software product that it might not work perfectly? I thought that was a given. :)

Does Roku support Atmos on Netflix? That's the big reason I bought Apple. Amazon Firestick didn't support Atmos on Netflix.
The RokuOS on my TV does support both DV and Atmos through Netflix via eARC. I tested a bunch looking for the issue to arise and rule out Netflix/AVR/TV vs. ATV. But, as I'm sure we all agree, I shouldn't have to do that. Still awaiting a reply from Apple support, along with the cable they were supposed to send over a month ago (I've since purchased my own to test).

Why stick with an Apple device? I suggest you look into the nVidia Shield or Roku. You were happy with your Amazon device, so you already set the bar pretty low.

They sell the Gen 2 remote as an upgrade, so it is backwards compatible. Other than the remote, there were no significant Gen 1 to Gen 2 differences for my use.
Ive thought about the nvidia shield and Roku, but I think those may not be able to stream Atmos on all of the services that Apple does. Are they able to? For instance, Amazon Fire Stick didnt have Atmos on Netflix. Its nice to have atmos when it works ok.

I use an nvidia video card on my pc, it might be cool to stream games to my big 77 inch screen and on the main sound system. Right now I am running an RTX 3080ti.

The RokuOS on my TV does support both DV and Atmos through Netflix via eARC. I tested a bunch looking for the issue to arise and rule out Netflix/AVR/TV vs. ATV. But, as I'm sure we all agree, I shouldn't have to do that. Still awaiting a reply from Apple support, along with the cable they were supposed to send over a month ago (I've since purchased my own to test).
I hope that they respond and let you know if they are working on this issue. It almost seems as if they brush it off as just a fringe problem that doesnt affect most people and leave it at that. DId they say that they would respond by email or phone? You might want to call their number and give them the case number if its been over 1 month.

This is the number I use:

1-800-275-2273

Can anyone report 100% that the Nvidia Shield is capable of streaming direct to the AVR using Atmos and Vision on the services: Apple tv+, HBO MAX, Netflix, Amazon, and others? No sound drop outs etc, like what we have with Apple? It would be a horrible experience to spend more $$$ and time on another device that cant perform.

Ive been thinking seriously about the Nvidia shield. I have heard good things. Some of you have it? Wondering how it compares to Apple.

NVIDIA SHIELD - The Best Streaming Media Device

Ive thought about the nvidia shield and Roku, but I think those may not be able to stream Atmos on all of the services that Apple does. Are they able to? For instance, Amazon Fire Stick didnt have Atmos on Netflix. Its nice to have atmos when it works ok.

I use an nvidia video card on my pc, it might be cool to stream games to my big 77 inch screen and on the main sound system. Right now I am running an RTX 3080ti.

Both of my Nvidia Shield Pros are the 2017 version, but I believe the latest Shield Pros and Roku Ultras support DV and Atmos on all the major streaming services. My 2017 Shield does get Atmos on Amazon Prime, Disney+, AppleTV+, and HBOmax, but not on Netflix. I like the Shield Android TV OS the best. I would pick up the 2019 Shield, but my Sony TV gets DV and Atmos with its Android TV apps (including Netflix), so I assume that it's like a slow 2019 Shield.

I have a couple RTX 3090's (an Asus ROG Strix and a FE), one of which is connected to my 75" Sony TV through my Denon AVR. It is great for 4k gaming. I haven't had much luck streaming Netflix, though; I only got 1080p and no DV, but I did get Atmos. I was using the Edge browser in Windows 10. Apparently, I would need to purchase the Dolby Access package and then add the Dolby Vision Extensions for the Low Latency DV implementation, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Both of my Nvidia Shield Pros are the 2017 version, but I believe the latest Shield Pros and Roku Ultras support DV and Atmos on all the major streaming services. My 2017 Shield does get Atmos on Amazon Prime, Disney+, AppleTV+, and HBOmax, but not on Netflix. I like the Shield Android TV OS the best. I would pick up the 2019 Shield, but my Sony TV gets DV and Atmos with its Android TV apps (including Netflix), so I assume that it's like a slow 2019 Shield.

I have a couple RTX 3090's (an Asus ROG Strix and a FE), one of which is connected to my 75" Sony TV through my Denon AVR. It is great for 4k gaming. I haven't had much luck streaming Netflix, though; I only got 1080p and no DV, but I did get Atmos. I was using the Edge browser in Windows 10.
Ok. Thanks.

After having the Atmos problem with the Apple, Ive come to not trust the claims made for the capabilities of equipment by companies. This is the first time ive ever had something like this on a device. Microsoft has had some giant blunders on some of their WIndows OS updates, so I guess I must consider that. DOing major updates on Windows has resulted in me having to wipe several computers and start fresh.

Whats frustrating about this Apple problem is that there is nothing we can do. Since my Apple is streaming Atmos with little problems now, im just going to continue avoiding any new updates and just use it as it is. If it gets bad again like it was when it first came out then I will probably try a new Shield.

Just listened to music from Apple Music service. First on the 2nd gen Apple tv 4k and then my first gen Sonos. WOW,no comparison. The Sonos blows the Apple away in sound quality and imaging. No comparison. I've not used the Sonos in a long time because I figured the Apple was as good or better. The Apple uses HDMI and the Sonos uses optic cable. So I'm back to using the Sonos. Apple just sounds flat and lifeless compared.

I've read that the new gen 2 Sonos doesn't sound as good as the gen 1. I've never compared, but read a couple of reviews that did.

Just listened to music from Apple Music service. First on the 2nd gen Apple tv 4k and then my first gen Sonos. WOW,no comparison. The Sonos blows the Apple away in sound quality and imaging. No comparison. I've not used the Sonos in a long time because I figured the Apple was as good or better. The Apple uses HDMI and the Sonos uses optic cable. So I'm back to using the Sonos. Apple just sounds flat and lifeless compared.

I've read that the new gen 2 Sonos doesn't sound as good as the gen 1. I've never compared, but read a couple of reviews that did.
Yeah, I haven't been too impressed with music on the AppleTV, especially Tidal and AppleMusic Atmos tracks. It's apparently a common complaint, but supposedly due to how Dolby enforces the levels, ostensibly for dynamic range. I have to turn the volume way up on my AVR when using, not to mention I have the input level bumped up a couple dB. One thing I do like using Apple Music (or, iTunes for that matter), is that I can sit at my PC with iTunes connected to an external DAC, and then AirPlay to both my AppleTVs in different rooms for "whole home audio". Then use the "Remote" app from my iPhone to control iTunes playback. Did have a bit of a delay between rooms, but the "wireless audio sync" option in each ATV's setup remedied this nicely. Now, if they could just fix the damn Netflix Atmos bug! I emailed one of those writers of a Apple news site today and encouraged him to write an article on "the problem" in the hopes of increased visibility.

Yeah, I haven't been too impressed with music on the AppleTV, especially Tidal and AppleMusic Atmos tracks. It's apparently a common complaint, but supposedly due to how Dolby enforces the levels, ostensibly for dynamic range. I have to turn the volume way up on my AVR when using, not to mention I have the input level bumped up a couple dB. One thing I do like using Apple Music (or, iTunes for that matter), is that I can sit at my PC with iTunes connected to an external DAC, and then AirPlay to both my AppleTVs in different rooms for "whole home audio". Then use the "Remote" app from my iPhone to control iTunes playback. Did have a bit of a delay between rooms, but the "wireless audio sync" option in each ATV's setup remedied this nicely. Now, if they could just fix the damn Netflix Atmos bug! I emailed one of those writers of a Apple news site today and encouraged him to write an article on "the problem" in the hopes of increased visibility.
I sure hope the writer listens and does an article on the problem. That could really help things.

Just watched episode 1 of season 2 The Witcher with no audio dropout! So far it seems the older OS I'm using isn't too bad perhaps.

Just found this. Some are having audio dropout just listening to music in atmos.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ic-played-back-over-appletv-4k-gen-2.2300127/

I too am enjoying flawless Atmos with DV using my TV's integrated Android TV apps or my Gen 1 ATV4k. Just finished watching Archive 81.

The audio dropouts listening to Atmos music is completely unrelated to the Atmos issue we have been having. I had noticed the issue as well when I tried out Atmos music on iTunes. It is just the receiver switching modes as most albums only have select tracks that are offered with Atmos.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about that, other than Apple offering the entire album in Atmos, or turning Atmos off. I was surprised to see an active thread on the issue. People just don't understand the technology and like to complain.

Last edited:
I disagree, there is an issue with Atmos playback on the ATV4K whether it is Apple Music or Netflix. It may be due to the added processing in converting bitstream to their PCM format and overrunning their buffer but their are definite drop outs independent of the slow start of sound on Atmos enable music or video as the decoder switches from 2 CH to Atmos 5.1.2 (in my case).

Latest posts

Back