200 watts for Cinima i?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmike

Reaction score
Just purchased an Adcom GFA5503 3 channel amp rated at 200 watts per channel for Aeon i and Cinema i. I already have the 5500 2 channel version of this amp and it sounds wounderful. I might try to bi-amp the mains or mabey sell the 5500 depending on sound improvements. Is 200 watts giong to put the Cinema i in peril? Is there an obvious choice for a nice 3 channel amp in the $800 to $1200 range that would be better than the 5503?

Last edited:
Mr Mike, Lots of CLEAN power is a good thing ! Your 200 watts represents your amps capability not what it will automatically send to your speakers. It's usally underpowerd and distorted signals that do your speakers harm. Sit back listen and enjoy !!

Last edited:
I agree, your amp will be fine.

FWIW: I use an Audio Refinement (YBA) Multi 3 for my Logos and SL3s. It is quite nice and falls in your price range. I plan to get a "good" 2ch amp and move it to surround duty eventually.

That said, I would probably just hang on to your Adcom until you can make a significant upgrade.

My set up is almost like yours. I have a GFA-5800 running my SL3s and a GFA-5503 powering my Cinema and rears without any issues. I find that the 5503/Cinema combination will play louder than what my ears find acceptable. It also sounds very good at what I consider normal multichannel/HT volumes.

Last edited:
Back