2 channel Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipgrncln

Reaction score
This is a for 2 channel folks but all can comment. What is the State of the State for 2 channel set ups as in are you using a sub ??? Planning to separate my Home Theater from my listening gear and trying to plan ahead.

Bob J

Descent - Three Channel...

Hipgrncln said:
This is a for 2 channel folks but all can comment. What is the State of the State for 2 channel set ups as in are you using a sub ??? Planning to separate my Home Theater from my listening gear and trying to plan ahead.

Bob J
Bob,

Welcome to the ML club! :D
When I listen to two channel or stereo my Ascent i's are set-up to play with my Descent subwoofer, which of course means I really am listening to three channels - with all the bass going to the Descent. My ears just love music listening, when I have my system configure in this way. :D
HTH

Hipgrncln said:

Bob J
Hola Bob. I depends a lot of your liking. You can use a sub in stereo mode, to give more depth to your current speakers, and also depends a lot ot the type of music that you are listening too. Also, you can have the sub to go 5 or more channels later on and for HT the sub is a must...some people likes a lot the low frequency and a good sub can give many outstanding clean bass energy to your room. As all know, I am not too many bass energy guy at my room, my speakers in my room gives me most all what I need and like, and my liking make me not to be a sub user, but I do respect the one who does, there are some musical material that needs the aid of a sub...again, it depends a lot of your liking...happy listening,\
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Go tubes!

For my 2-channel preference, there are basically 2 choices:
1st choice: ML Summits, Cary 805C monoblocs, tube pre-amp (Cary, or ModWright in my case). Summits already have powerful, internal bass amplifiers so you don't need a whole lot of power for the panels.
2nd choice: ML Prodigy (or Odyssey), Cary 805C monoblocs for panels, Bryston 4BSST for bass, tube pre-amp.

Feel free to substitute the Cary 805C with some other tube amps of your choice, the Cary V12R easily comes to mind.
Or you can do something similar to my system:
ML ReQuests, AES SixPacs monoblocs (for panels), Classe' CA300 for bass, ModWright tube preamp.

The underlying theme here is bi-amping with tubes on the panels and powerful solid-state on the woofers.

Spike

Hipgrncln said:
Yes. I run a sub with my CLSIIz's with a Velodyne SMS-1 sub management and room eq. It is a must for great bass response and accuracy without the boom - no matter what sub you use.

I would say if I owned Summits, that I could probably live without the sub as their bass response is excellent. But having that EQ with the Velodyne would be hard to live without...Hmmmm...how would the Summits sound with the SMS-1 to help the bass....only one can wonder... :D

Dan

Bob, Welcome ! My two channel is integrated within my home theatre set-up. that being said my primary listening and usage of my system is two channel without my sub. I am more than pleased with the overall ability of my Vantage speakers, but when the screen comes down let 5.1 do her thing !!

twich54 said:
Bob, Welcome ! My two channel is integrated within my home theatre set-up.
Dave...Same thing here for me. 2 Channel is integrated with HT setup - love that HT Passthrough on Pre Amp. But I have my system setup so the Sub is used for 2 Channel and HT (not using LFE).

Dan

I love the power and depth the subwoofer gave my 2-channel set-up (wife hated it). However I disconnected the sub long ago. Back to back testing revealed that splitting the signal for the sub degraded the stereo image to a great degree and was unacceptable.

I've been reading good things about the new Velodyne crossover box (or whatever it's called), which has some kind of active microphone. The way you wire it up to the speakers is different so you really are not splitting the signal the old fashion piggy-back way.

The secret is the way it's hooked up, and room acoustics...............that is two strikes if done wrong.

Many threads on this topic, feel free to do a search (upper right button).:)

My sub is hooked up to a seperate H.T. processor, only the taxi cab's CB radio gives me and it any issues now. :D

EDIT LINK:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=527&highlight=Velodyne+crossover

Last edited:
Originally I included my older NHT Sub Two in both my 2 Channel and HT setup, using my Yamaha RXV1000, and the outboard NHT crossover, to blend it all together. I was very happy with the sound. However, since upgrading to the Sunfire Amp for 2 Channel (and implementing Squeezebox as my source, thereby eliminating Pre-amp stage altogether), I found my Aerius i's bass output tighter and more musical than ever before. I still use the NHT for 5.1 HT, which only accounts for 5% of my use.

I am still awaiting delivery on a Benchmark DAC1, which I plan to use direct to Amp (from Squeezebox digital out), and am curious to see if bass is further improved.

Anybody else experimenting with totally eliminating the Pre-Amp stage?

First and foremost it depends on your preference - some people prefer the added depth that a sub brings, others don't like the inteference another cone flapping around brings to the purity of 2-channel.

I'd say it will depend on the quality on your sub - if you have a poorer quality sub then you will most certainly want to turn it off, but if you have a sub approaching the quality of the bass that your 'logans can deliver then - assuming it is set correctly - it can really add something to your listening experience.

Adding a Descent to my Aeons did much more than add bass. It increased the size of the soundstage, in width, height and depth. Set up correctly, you shouldn't hear bass from the sub at all most of the time- Only when it comes rolling toward you out of the blue and scares the dickens out of you!

sleepysurf said:
Anybody else experimenting with totally eliminating the Pre-Amp stage?

Yep, I am using a Placette Passive Preamp. And, with great results!

Back