2 channel Odyssey Speaker Placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipgrncln

Reaction score
Am meeting with the house designer this week to work on the design of my new home. Will be splitting my system down to a 2 channel system in the living room and a small HT in the library. As music is my first and most used love I need to plan very carefully the room inwhich it will live.

1. Speakers 3 ft from the back wall. ( is that 3 ft to the panel; 3 ft from the back of the speaker ?????

2. How far back should the listening seats be??? Is that measured from each speaker or line running between the speakers///

3. How far from any side wall if applicable??

I know I will have to trust my ears at some point but I need to secure enough room at this design point or it will never happen. Electrical plugs will have to be installed very close to the listening chairs as to have light for reading Music Mags etc.

Many Thanks

Bob J

Hipgcln said:
Am meeting with the house designer this week to work on the design of my new home. Will be splitting my system down to a 2 channel system in the living room and a small HT in the library. As music is my first and most used love I need to plan very carefully the room inwhich it will live.

1. Speakers 3 ft from the back wall. ( is that 3 ft to the panel; 3 ft from the back of the speaker ?????

2. How far back should the listening seats be??? Is that measured from each speaker or line running between the speakers///

3. How far from any side wall if applicable??

I know I will have to trust my ears at some point but I need to secure enough room at this design point or it will never happen. Electrical plugs will have to be installed very close to the listening chairs as to have light for reading Music Mags etc.

Many Thanks

Bob J
Hola Bob, in a general way of speaking, there are no way how to set up a system. Of course there are several rules to follow, but you must listen it for a final judgement and your ears will tell you the last. The owners manual of your speakers will guide you first, then your ears last. Just follow the simple rules, do not get too complicated. The distance from the back wall shoud be measure from the stat panel, not from its back...hope this can help, happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

All that is great but I live in the Real World. My guess is as follows:

Speakers 3 ft from front wall

Speakers 3 ft from side walls

Speakers 12 ft from each other

Listening chair 10 ft from the middle of the speakers

Is this a good starting place???

Bob J

Hipgrncln said:
All that is great but I live in the Real World. My guess is as follows:

Speakers 3 ft from front wall

Speakers 3 ft from side walls

Speakers 12 ft from each other

Listening chair 10 ft from the middle of the speakers

Is this a good starting place???

Bob J
hola...IMHO I think it is. Play later with toe in the speakers for better image and scenario. The Odyssey have a very nice feature to the respect of the bass, so perhaps you will not have any proble. Remember, trust your ears!!! Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

If I were building a room from scratch, I would first get the room dimensions down. My parents just built a house and we used the Golden Ratio rule to layout the music room and I believe it worked out very well.

Your dimensions look like a resonable starting point though 12 ft apart is quite a large distance. I would think something like 8 ft would work fine and you wouldn't need a huge room. I've also found with ML that I prefer to be slightly further away than the speakers are apart.

Like other people have said, there are general rules but the fine tuning will have to happen once you actually get in the room.

Latest posts

Back