Equipment cooling - dedicated AC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As many of you know, tons of gear in small spaces tends to raise temperatures pretty quickly. Not a bad thing during the winter, but in the summer, that can be not only uncomfortable, it can be downright dangerous with fried gear or worse, risk of fire.

Since my listening room and the adjacent equipment room are hyper insulated (my custom home, so went all out for noise suppression), therefore heat has no where to go, so the equipment room heats up at an alarming rate once all the gear is on.
Never mind that the main theater still has a monster CRT front projector that spews heat like hades.

I had been coping with all this relatively OK, as the entire HT has its own dedicated zone off the 5 ton multi-zone central AC. But it was getting expensive to run a 5 ton AC unit that often, and during the winter, we’d have dueling zones, with some zones asking for heat, and the HT asking for cooling. Schizo is the best way to describe the poor HVAC’s controllers state of mind ;)

So, I decided it was time to deal with the cooling problem in a more definitive manner.
The equipment room would be getting its own dedicated AC system.

Next, started a search for the ideal solution, with my criteria being as follows:

• Quiet (it is near the HT area after all)
  • Enough capacity to cool all the PC’s, network gear and audio gear.
  • Minimal footprint inside
  • Quiet (can’t stress that enough)
  • Efficient - part of the goal is to be greener with electricity (says the guy with a 5KVA audio power supply :eek: )

The clear solution for this in terms of architecture is the mini-split systems that have the compressor and most of the heavy gear sitting outside, and a small internal exchanger unit the mounts inside on a wall.

But which type? AC only seemed like the no-brainer style, but then they really don’t offer them in really high SEER configs. Next up is a heat-pump mini-split system, these can be had with ultra-efficient variable compressors driven by inverters, and so even though cooling may be called for, if the temp differentials are narrow enough, the compressor is barely ticking over and uses very little power. One can get units with SEER ratings of up to 21 (13 is considered good).

Next, which brand. After much research, I selected a Fujitsu from their Halcyon line, their hyper-efficient 21 SEER rated 12RLQ heat-pump mini-split system. Not only is it an efficiency champ, it is supremely quiet. Both internal and external components have excellent ratings. The internal unit on ‘quiet mode’ is just 22 dB.
Even the loudest mode is still a very modest 43 dB.
So I placed my order a few weeks ago and the install date was this week, and install has started.

[2012 update:] new URL to Halcyon line, even more efficient now: http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmountedRLS2.htm

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the internal unit mounted up high in my equipment room (excuse the dang sat cables strung across the room).

Attachments

• EquipmentRoom New AC Sml.JPG
    EquipmentRoom New AC Sml.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 704
Of course, not all has gone smoothly with the install. The guys showed up with the wrong model (a 12RQ (13 SEER) vs a 12RLQ (21 SEER) ). :stop: So I sent them back before they got the external system hooked up. Good thing I’m an intrusive and compulsive hardware geek, otherwise I would have wound up with a cheaper system that would have cost me bucks in operating costs.

Always check your contractors. This was an honest mistake, but ‘ya never know.

Anyway, the right model shows up next week, and we’ll complete this next Wednesday.

While we wait, what are you guys and gals doing for cooling in your rigs?
Anyone else do a mini-split system? How do you like it?

Last edited:
Of course, not all has gone smoothly with the install. The guys showed up with the wrong model (a 12RQ (13 SEER) vs a 12RLQ (21 SEER) ). :stop: So I sent them back before they got the external system hooked up. Good thing I’m an intrusive and compulsive hardware geek, otherwise I would have wound up with a cheaper system that would have cost me bucks in operating costs.

Always check your contractors. This was an honest mistake, but ‘ya never now.

Anyway, the right model shows up next week, and we’ll complete this next Wednesday.

While we wait, what are you guys and gals doing for cooling in your rigs?
Anyone else do a mini-split system? How do you like it?

well, the meitner amps are scattered about the room near their associated speakers, and they run darn cool, so there is no big worry there. i did cook a few components that i'd placed above my Bryston SP1.7 pre/pro even with spacing between them, so there is now nothing but air for 4 inches above the SP1.7 and then the next shelf (man it runs hot).

however... as a fellow CRT fool, i put venting and a fan in for the hush box that will go around my NEC XG. it vents into the other room, but i had considered splitting the exhaust so that i could switch between the other room in the summer and the cold air plenum in the winter.

the theory was that if i'm manufacturing hot air then in winter it makes sense to direct it into the furnace return feed and pre-warm that air slightly for circulation in the house. i checked with a commercial HVAC guy i know and he said it made some sense.

but when i tried to do it, i discovered that i just could not reach the plenum. i was "this close" but the space between the joists was one size smaller than my hips and i nearly got stuck in the ceiling.

"death by home theater compulsion" looks bad on the tombstone.:cool:

I just inhale deeply, pucker up my cheeks and exhale rapidly through pursed lips making a sputtering "ffffffuuuuupppppppptttttttt" sort of sound. Kind of sucks because it doesn't cool things down for very long at all so I'm constantly getting up and down and once I'd just ingested and had begun masticating (it's a real word - look it up) a fist full of beer nuts and, well, you can imagine the mess.

You should have asked before!! I don't like the mini-splits for two reasons:

1: They're not as quiet as having the equipment up in the roof
2: They blow and cause draughts like crazy - all that cooling coming out one small space is just insane - it is much better to diffuse this over two or three ceiling ducts that spread out at 360 degrees.

I had a Hitachi split (similar to yours) at my old listening room. You can make do if you make sure it is positioed so that it is not blowing on you or your beloved 'Logans.

BUT...

Here in tropical Queensland, I have a much better system, manufactured by APAC (Australia Pacific Air Conditioning). The unit is quiet to start with, but then it is fully contained up in the ceiling (on the other side of the insulation) making it virtually silent in operation. I have had one duct in the listening room converted to three to silence any air coming out at that point. It's fantastic.

If you went down the same route, I'd make sure you oversized all the ducts and returns, and place the fan coil unit (connected by ductwork) and compressor far, far away from your listening room.

The other thing I don't need to worry about in Australia, (but which you might need to consider where you are located) is that some units can ice up when run on cooling cycle when it is too cold. They need fans that can slow down or cycle off is my understanding, so that the condenser doesn't get too cold. (I remember a post of yours that mentioned snow)!!

I also run an upgraded filter for what that is worth, but mine is running through the whole house, not just the listening room.

Last edited:
Hi Amey, yeah, a single point of cooling for a room can indeed lead to ‘cool zones’ and breezy conditions ;)

But this is in my enclosed equipment room (see diagram of room here), it’s sealed off with doors, so I can’t hear or feel anything going on back there.

The rest of the HT is on its dedicated whole-house zone, with ultra-quiet (inaudible) lined ducts, multiple low-flow registers and returns. When the AC is on, you barely can tell, and it’s mostly because the ambient temp drops and gets drier, not because of air currents.
I did try and do it right the first time, it’s just the equipment room got overloaded after 8 years of unending upgrades ;)

The newest mini-splits have features that reduce the issues you’ve raised. For one, stuff like the RLQ series Fujitsu’s have variable speed compressors, fans and scale incredibly well, even working down into -10 C (14 F). The Fujitsu’s are about 30 to 40% more expensive than others for a reason, not only are they very well built, but very comprehensive in their features. Oh, and quiet, oh so quiet. Reviews have been very consistent on that.
I’ll corroborate next week.

Ahhh- your dedicated equipment room. In that case, it doesn't matter so much what is in there!

How though, does that help with heat emmited from your projector?

Ahhh- your dedicated equipment room. In that case, it doesn't matter so much what is in there!

How though, does that help with heat emmited from your projector?

Ah, Amey wins the eagle-eye prize. You are right, it doesn't, unless I leave one of the doors to the equipment room open :p

But the total load will be vastly reduced on the whole-house zone with the new AC. And besides, a JVC RS2 projector is not too far away...

Yes, let us know how it goes.

You might also want to make sure it doesn't get too dry back there - leading to problems with static.

i'm so glad i'm here, you guys make me look normal and well adjusted :)

Zaph, always trying to do my bit to push the envelope, and there's plenty of help around here to push anyone of us over the edge ;)

No such things as 'normal'. And adjusted to what? :cool:

Well, since we didn't get this installed over the past two days, my wife and I decided that the location for the external unit the installers wanted to use was less than ideal. So we spent the day building a cement base for the new unit in what we consider ideal location (shaded, well ventilated and protected from storms).
therefore, we did two trips in our compact pickup to drag home 20 bags of ready -mix concrete (all 1,600 lbs worth) and proceeded to build a kick-ass mount for the compressor unit.

Since the property is on a steep slope, we wound up having to pour a ton (almost) of concrete to compensate for the drop in level.

It should cure by the time they show up Wednesday and we can finish this off right.

Man, DIY creeps in to all my projects ;)

Well, you can bet the installers were going to use the "easiest" place - not the "best" or "most appropriate" place!!

therefore, we did two trips in our compact pickup to drag home 20 bags of ready -mix concrete (all 1,600 lbs worth) and proceeded to build a kick-ass mount for the compressor unit.

Man, DIY creeps in to all my projects ;)

Well, the overloading of the 24 year-old truck cost me an extra $140 in repairs to replace two U-Joints. But oh well, they needed replacing anyway.

But it was worth it, as the install went really smoothly this past Wednesday.
The AC guys were pretty wowed that we had gone to the trouble, so they put in an extra effort to ensure their part was cleanly done.

Here's a shot of the platform and the exterior compressor.

The red lines depict the floor of the HT, all the space below, and the access door visible in the picture, lead to a storage area under the equipment room, and comprise the ‘box’ for the infinite baffle sub.

Attachments

• EquipmentRoom New AC Exterior_sml.JPG
    EquipmentRoom New AC Exterior_sml.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Results

So, how does it work?

Incredibly well. Man this was a really good investment.

First, the units sure met the ‘quiet’ expectation. The external unit is pretty much silent. Unless you walk right up to it, you can not hear it. Even from a deck 20’ above it, we peer over the railing, straining to hear if the unit is running or not, and we can not tell.
Once, we though we heard it, but no, it was a neighbors unit >700’ away that we heard. Our unit 20’ away and right below us, was inaudible until you are within 5 to 10 feet.

The internal unit is likewise quiet. In its ‘super quiet’ mode (22dB rating) it is indeed inaudible. A slight cool breeze with no noise :cool:

Even in fully ‘auto’ cooling mode, with the thermostat set for 74, it keeps the equipment room felling cold (actual temp at 5’ height it’s around 71F) and while the fan is barely audible, it’s less noisy than an Austin air HEPA filter I had running in there before.
With the PC’s DVR’s and other fan equipped gear powered on, they drown out the AC unit.

Another neat feature is the Electrostatic (see, perfect for my XStatic theater ;) ) air filter integrated with it. Read the brochures for more info, but it really cleans the air of both particulates and smells.

All the gear is nice and cool now. The DVR, which used to run hot, are now comfortable to the touch and their fans blow warm, vs. hot air now.
The PS3, which could go into ‘turbo’ fan mode, never makes a noise anymore.

This should definitely help avoid any heat related stress and failures in the gear. And considering that there’s tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear, a couple thou for some AC seems reasonable. Plus, it’s likely to pay itself back in power billing savings.

The final point about this Fujitsu mini-split I wanted to make is that the inverter technology compressor and intelligent microcontroller combine to make this a system that can cool the room without having to ‘cycle’ a compressor on and off. It ramps the compressor using variable speed drive and when the demands are low, so is the power consumption. I highly recommend you look for AC systems that have variable speed, inverter driven compressors. They should have high SEER ratings as a result.
The SEER rating of this unit (21) exceeds the max listed on the energy guide (those yellow tags you see on a fridge at an appliance store) max on the guide is 18.

Anyway, if you have a need to cool a room due to having too many tube amps or a pair of Pass Class A monoblocks (Rich?), then this RLQ version of the Fujitsu Halcyon line is the thing to get.

Last edited:
Anyway, if you have a need to cool a room due to having too many tube amps or a pair of Pass Class A monoblocks (Rich?), then this RLQ version of the Fujitsu Halcyon line is the thing to get.

Excellent, Jonathan. Sounds like a great upgrade to an already great system setup. One of the reasons I love the Sanders amps is that they actually run pretty cool. My Pass Labs amp, on the other hand, now resides in the basement system because it is a radiator. I could use some extra ventilation in my listening room though. It just does not get enough from the house HVAC. Probably I should consider something like this. I will discuss it more with you in the future.

just the 'hot stuff'!

My one-component solution (nothing else gets very hot :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cooling_fans_72dpi.jpg
    cooling_fans_72dpi.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 266
Niel, good solution to increasing airflow around the tube amp.

For those that have receivers, amps or other 'standard' profile gear, you might be interested in this device from Antec, called the VERIS.

Looks good and at $80 from NewEgg, not too bad a deal if you have the slightly too toasty piece of gear in the rack.

AV_cooler_Q.jpg

Back