Summit's midrange

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ovature said:
An ass? We all have an ass, don't we? But more important what ML speaker do we own so we can sit our collective asses down and listen! Dictionary included free!!

Ovature,

You are going to push Tom's button again and get banned for flaming. I know you want to make a point but can you do it nicely? Why are you so confrontational all the time? You'll hopefully mellow out when you get into your late thirties to early forties?

Your name is Ovature not immature right?

Statman said:
Ovature,

You are going to push Tom's button again and get banned for flaming. I know you want to make a point but can you do it nicely? Why are you so confrontational all the time? You'll hopefully mellow out when you get into your late thirties to early forties?

Your name is Ovature not immature right?

Rik_Rankin said:
Ovature has already been banned! :eek:
Well, he has been banned in his latest incarnation, but like a bad penny, he will likely be back in another guise. :p

ovature said:
My local dealer wants to sell his demo summits for $6500 and he can't give them away because he says they suck. I think the new line is ugly and it sounds like garbage for 2 channel; it's fine for HT and I've heard them(Summit, vantage, vista) in multiple locations.

Rik_Rankin said:
Why don't you try listening to some live music and then come back and tell me the new line sounds like real music. It was designed for HT. Even Audioport, ML's closest dealer says they stink and offered their Summits in perfect condition for $6500 just to get rid of them

Rik_Rankin said:
Ovature has already been banned! :eek:

Yes, you have already been banned (twice). And yet you keep coming back. Such a useless troll.

A non ML suggestion!

I know this is the ML Club but if you are really looking for a glorious midrange than the new Quad ESL 989 might be right up your alley, if you have the space. A truly outstanding speaker though it doesn't have the bass of the Summit.

risabet said:
I know this is the ML Club but if you are really looking for a glorious midrange than the new Quad ESL 989 might be right up your alley, if you have the space. A truly outstanding speaker though it doesn't have the bass of the Summit.
Hola Risabet. yes and very very clean. agreed with you. Quad is a great speaker and new model. On the other hand, if you bring the level controls of the Summits at such point that there is no big bass energy in the room, the mids and highs are very good too. The micro dynamics and the soul of the player is more evident...try them this way, you might like them too as you do the Quads... Happy listening,
Roberto.

Rich said:
Yes, you have already been banned (twice). And yet you keep coming back. Such a useless troll.
WHy don't you read my posts you radio shack nerd and you might actually learn something. I am not here to kiss your arse. I am here to lend some objectivity to this place and yes, I absolutely enjoy my ML speakers and I actually get a kick out of this forum so let's be friends OK? Kiss!!! Kiss!!!!
XXOXOXOXOXO

roberto said:
Hola Risabet. yes and very very clean. agreed with you. Quad is a great speaker and new model. On the other hand, if you bring the level controls of the Summits at such point that there is no big bass energy in the room, the mids and highs are very good too. The micro dynamics and the soul of the player is more evident...try them this way, you might like them too as you do the Quads... Happy listening,
Roberto.

Exactly my thoughts Roberto!

Although this thread has been inactive of late, I think I have some relevant observations.

I recently purchased AudioFanKj's Summits, replacing my Aerius i's. Upon initial setup, the bass was a tad muddy, and the midrange indeed lacked that "chesty" "full-bodied" sound that even my Aerius' provided. I was puzzled, since everything else in my component chain and room was unaltered. Pulling the Summits out another foot from the front wall helped tighten the bass, but the midrange was still recessed. I started playing with the bass settings, firstly bumping up the 50 Hz setting a tad, then the 25 Hz settings, but, if anything, the mids were even MORE sedate.

Then, a revelation! I happened to play an old forgotten CD... Mondo Beat: Masters of Percussion (a Narada world percussion compilation that is heavy on the bass, and breathtaking). The sound was horrific... boomy, resonating bass, and overall tonal balance equally abysmal. I started dialing down both bass settings, until I had a natural, but relatively tight sound. Surprisingly, I ended up with -4 at 25 Hz, and -8 at 50 Hz. Short of measuring my speaker/room's freq response (still on my to-do list), I never would have thought my room acoustics required such attenuation. Subsequently, replaying my favorite "test tracks", I rediscovered that gorgeous "blooming" midrange that was previously lacking.

What I think is happening is the Summits dual woofers, at their default settings (depending on speaker-room interactions) can create overpowering bass energy, which we inititially compensate for by listening at lower levels. This creates the illusion of recessed mids (perhaps highs, as well). However, once the woofers are properly BALANCED (i.e. tamed), relative to the stat panels, you can start listening again at "normal" volumes, fully restoring that "chesty" midrange and sparkling highs. I spent 6 hours last night absolutely mesmerized by the luscious sound now coming from my Summits.

I think ML should provide a "setup CD" for the Summit (and Vantage), with test tracks to help balance the woofers and stat panels. That would also help the Tweeter's/Magnolia's of the world properly set up and demo the product!

Next steps for me will be incorporating a Modwright preamp into my setup, and eventually getting Room EQ Wizard to further tweak the sound.

If I only had a couple weeks spare vacation time right now!

Last edited:
Good observations, sleepysurf. My Summits are now -2 (25hz) and -4 (50hz). In my room I find this gives a smoother response. If you dial in too much bass, the openness of the electrostatic panels suffers. My Summits have reached around 200 hours playing time. They are certainly starting to open up, But I reckon I'm not even half way there yet.

edwinr said:
My Summits have reached around 200 hours playing time. They are certainly starting to open up, But I reckon I'm not even half way there yet.

Somewhere around 300 hrs my Summits started to open up tremendously. At around 500 hrs I was able fine tune their positioning, and found myself backing off the settings of the 50hz drivers for improved lower-mid clarity. They now have 1200-1500 hours and seem to continuously improve.... at least they never seem to stop amazing me as I find more and more source material to make them sing.

Last edited:
Apparently, the Summits REALLY need 1000+ hrs to fully break in the stat panels.

DrJRapp... where do you have your 25 and 50 Hz settings at now? Also, when are ya gonna post a picture of your setup? (I'll be posting my updated Summit system in a week or so, as I'm rearranging my components at this time).

Sleepy....thanks for the request.....

I just sent my profile and pics in...I guess as soon as tthe mods review it it will appear.

As far as settings go....my let is 0, 0 and the right is -2, 0. ( I have a little bit more room rienforcement on the right). My room is huge, 20x20 attached to a 16x18 kitchen all with an 11 ft ceiling. The Summits do a wonderful job of filling that space when driven by the 500 wpc output of an Aragon 3005.

Last edited:
DrJRapp said:
They now have 1200-1500 hours and seem to continuously improve.

Interesting, I think Psyhco-accoustics are at work here for I doubt very much that anyone could remember and make critical comparrison as to what their speaker sounded like 1500 hrs ago.

Almost like the time I was in a shop out in Il. Looking at Nordost Valhalla cables and the salesmen told me it would take upwards of 150-200 hrs "to break them in", I doubt if he ever took a physics course !

Back