ReQuest - panel problem - FIXED! :-)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jacek

Hi,

Just as a matter of sharing some experience with fixing the panel problems:

I am happy owner of ReQuest for more then 5 years now. I do quite regullar vaccum cleaning of panels however more then a year ago I discovered, that my left speaker sometimes is loosing its power at mids and highs. It was not something like constant fading of sound produced by panell, which will probably indicate dust or simmilar problem, it was rather like a poor connection somehere. The effect depended of the volume (higher sound level -> more fading) and somehow on ambient temperature/humidity. A few months ago problem evolved to even that stage, that the sound was distorting to great extend.
Then I have started investigation - relocated panels between two speakers, relocated power supply board and crosover filters. As a result of those tests I have figured out that the problems lies within the panel itself.
Spending more then an hour on careful inspection of the panel I have found out problem with the wiring cables powering stators. They are simply soldered to the metal at the bottom corner of the panel - the black coating layer is localy removed and cable is simply soldered and then filled with insulating tape. This connection in my panel was quite loosy and most probably it prevented HV to fully charge panels, therefore producing distortions.
I have simply re-soldered connection (20-30W of soldering machine is not enough here as stator is quite large piece of metal....) and problems disapear.

It will be quite interesting for me if I am the only person having such problems or maybe someone else already experience it in the past?

Regards,
jacek

Jacek,

I had similar problems and decided to do the "wash" routine. While disasembling the panels, I noticed the connection to the stators coming loose...which I resoldered.

To be honest, I don't know if it was the washing or the resoldering.....but my speakers sound much better.

Although I live in the U.S., it's nice to see my Polish brethren posting on this site!

Jacek said:
Hi,

Just as a matter of sharing some experience with fixing the panel problems:

I am happy owner of ReQuest for more then 5 years now. I do quite regullar vaccum cleaning of panels however more then a year ago I discovered, that my left speaker sometimes is loosing its power at mids and highs. It was not something like constant fading of sound produced by panell, which will probably indicate dust or simmilar problem, it was rather like a poor connection somehere. The effect depended of the volume (higher sound level -> more fading) and somehow on ambient temperature/humidity. A few months ago problem evolved to even that stage, that the sound was distorting to great extend.
Then I have started investigation - relocated panels between two speakers, relocated power supply board and crosover filters. As a result of those tests I have figured out that the problems lies within the panel itself.
Spending more then an hour on careful inspection of the panel I have found out problem with the wiring cables powering stators. They are simply soldered to the metal at the bottom corner of the panel - the black coating layer is localy removed and cable is simply soldered and then filled with insulating tape. This connection in my panel was quite loosy and most probably it prevented HV to fully charge panels, therefore producing distortions.
I have simply re-soldered connection (20-30W of soldering machine is not enough here as stator is quite large piece of metal....) and problems disapear.

It will be quite interesting for me if I am the only person having such problems or maybe someone else already experience it in the past?

Regards,
jacek

Jak Tem E-jem?

I own the ReQuests too. So far no problems with them *nock on wood*, but who knows, this info may become usefull someday.

Gin Dubjeh!

(sorry for my phonetic Polish)

Another fellow Pole (Klimkiewicz)

Back