System #249 (CLS, Logos, Script, Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Lance Bailey

2. Location: Langley, BC, Canada (land of moose and maple syrup)

3. ML Model(s): CLS, logos, 2 pairs of scripts, and a depth

4. Year Purchased: CLS around 1990, logos around 2003, scripts in 2004 and 2005, depth in 2007

5. Mods/Changes: built small stands for the logos to raise them 3", because of a shelf going 3/4 around the room, i had to mount the scripts upside down, and a bit higher than recommended. I compensated by leaning them in a lot. no, more than that.:eek:

6. Associated Electronics:
All of my amps are Museatex/Meitner monoblocks, located close to the speaker, the scripts have the amp mounted on the wall right by the speaker using custom brackets i built. My pre/processor is a Bryston SP1.7​

I have a good historical collection of sources

Audio Side
Oracle Delphi III with SME IV, Koetsu Rosewood and Museatex/Melior headamp
Museatex/Melior CD-D transport
Museatex/Melior FMT digital FM tuner
Teac A-2300SR reel to reel (7" quarter track, 3.75 & 7.5 ips)
Tascam 32 reel to reel (10.5" half track, 7.5 & 15 ips)​

Video side
Samsung 1400p Blu-Ray player
Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laserdisc with Lexicon LDD-1 AC-3 demodulator
Toshiba VCR (yes virginia, there are movies only on VHS!
Extron DVS-304 and ycssw6mx scaler and switcher
old Sony 27" for TV
NEC XG-852 CRT projector​

Controlling it all
Harmony 688 remote
big soft trap between the mains (thanks Kach!)
SPL meter :)

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: I tried making a DIY 12" sub to complete the system, but it just didn't work out - spent years on it too. Replacing it with the Depth did wonders for the system. The scripts are high, but the tilting - and bumping up the levels by 2 db above the other speakers helped a lot.

8. An image of your system.

Attachments

• mains.jpg
    mains.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,274
  • surrounds.jpg
    surrounds.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3,230
  • depth.jpg
    depth.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3,081
  • screendark.jpg
    screendark.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,181
Last edited:
Lance, Hello, nice to see your system finally posted !

With the CLS's "cranking" how do you keep the candles lit ???

Welcome Lance. Great looking system, and nice to see another Koetsu Rosewood owner here. I'll bet that the combination of Koetsu and CLS is sweet !

Lance, Hello, nice to see your system finally posted !
well, i had to take a couple of years off from this forum, focused on finishing up the system, rebuilding the room and getting into video.

With the CLS's "cranking" how do you keep the candles lit ???
hey, i paid good money for that hands-free candle snuffer!:D

Welcome Lance. Great looking system, and nice to see another Koetsu Rosewood owner here. I'll bet that the combination of Koetsu and CLS is sweet !

frighteningly good. i thank Bil at target hifi in London ON for the combo. Snapping the cantilever on my Shinon Red Boron might have been the best break my system ever had :) The CD-D isn't far behind. i had a friend in the other room poke their head around the corner and ask "i didn't know you played piano" when i put on the Holly Cole album - it's that real.

The CD-D isn't far behind. i had a friend in the other room poke their head around the corner and ask "i didn't know you played piano" when i put on the Holly Cole album - it's that real.
Deja Vu! When I had my Quad 57s, I had someone enter my house and say, "I didn't realize that Bernard played the trumpet"....but it was an LP, and I had the Koetsu Black Gold Line at the time. There is something very seductive about Koetsus.

Very nice , I have a set of CLS finely . Those look to be CLS 1A

Nice system Zaphod. Zaphod, as in Zaphod Beeblebrox? Anyone who can appreciate the late Douglas Adams is ok in my books. LOL.

I recently acquired a pair of CLS's. Best deal I ever made for a speaker choice. They continue to amaze me. What do you like about them best? Least?

Don

Nice system Zaphod. Zaphod, as in Zaphod Beeblebrox? Anyone who can appreciate the late Douglas Adams is ok in my books. LOL.
yeah, that's the one - great set of books. i recently put the radios series onto my 'pod. makes for fun listening.

I recently acquired a pair of CLS's. Best deal I ever made for a speaker choice. They continue to amaze me. What do you like about them best? Least?

Don

i will always enjoy how they disappear, how transparent they are. female vocals are magical.

what i don't like is that after 17 or 18 years i will have to replace the panels. sigh. it's a cheap repair, but they are starting to go. kazooing got fixed on one, but the ZING that they once had is gone until the panel-ectomy...

yeah, that's the one - great set of books. i recently put the radios series onto my 'pod. makes for fun listening.

i will always enjoy how they disappear, how transparent they are. female vocals are magical.

what i don't like is that after 17 or 18 years i will have to replace the panels. sigh. it's a cheap repair, but they are starting to go. kazooing got fixed on one, but the ZING that they once had is gone until the panel-ectomy...

If you got 17 years out of the original panels have a drink and celebrate.

Lance Nice system! I just missed out on a set of mtr 101 monos on C.A.M. How are yours powerwise for driving your CLS? D.R.

i had a bit of grumpiness from an STR-55 that i used to drive the CLS at high volumes (and Kodo drums :) ) but the MTR-101 have no problem at all driving the CLS.

We may need some construction photos of the new room in progress, Lance.:cool:

i managed to get a few minutes and snapped some "before" shots of the space. i'll put them in the other thread.

Hey neighbor! Very cool set up! I'm in Langley too, also have a pair of CLS's, don't have the same quality driving them though... No more analog anymore I'm sad to say. Never, never, ever let a woman come between you and your Koetsu!

I do have a couple of CNC machines though, always wanted to make a turntable. Ideas anyone? Could be fun.

Sooo.... Where do you live? When are you away from the house? Just kidding. Looking forward to learning more from all you old timers here.

Back