System #231 (Vantage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
System #231 (Vantage) / CLS II

Latest photos:

Name: Beakman

ML Model: CLS II

Purchased: Mid 2006 2009

Mods: Concrete blocks

Associated Electronics:
Remote: Over half a dozen that just confuse the hell out of me
Preamp: Van Den Hull by Array. The Outlaw does routing for the TV speakers and Digital FM Receiver
Cable Box
CD/DVD Changer: Sony NC555ES
Sub Crossover: Behringer CDX 2496 + DEQ 2496
Sub Amp: Outlaw 2200 + Plate amp on the cheapo unit
Main Amps: Innersound 300. The other Outlaw powers the TV speakers
Voltage Protection: 2 Panamax M5100-EX's
Also: Velodyne VA1215X Cabinet & Driver, Now passive w/ only Phase Switch; Second Panamax M5100 for TV and Speakers; Philips 42" plasma TV, etc
Wires: 12 Ga. generic zippers; Others too numerous to remember average Box Store "High Quality"
Room Mods: Homemade "Beakman Bass Busters". Yea, I know, I know. These work very well to absorb sound.

Attachments

• Audio System 1.JPG
    Audio System 1.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 4,036
  • P1010099.jpg
    P1010099.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,546
  • P1010113.jpg
    P1010113.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,550
  • P1010112.jpg
    P1010112.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,566
  • P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,581
Last edited:
Sweet, I love the vantages in black!
Whats the thing on top of your audio-rack?

That is a Siemens SIMpad SL4, a touchscreen Windows CE slate that never caught on. I bought it on eBay from Europe. It runs CE 4.0 or Windows HPC 2000. The infrared TX is very good and use it sometimes as a remote control running RemoteControl II, which can be found here: http://www.winCEsoft.de I use this because the program learns the IR codes off of existing units, as I have yet to find info on what high-end downloadable remotes have the codes for my preamp (Outlaw).

Last edited:
Beakman, Welcome ! Nice looking "Monural" system you have there !

Stop teasing us, and show us some more "Audio Skin" !!! LOL

I only listen to one channel at a time, this way everything always sounds fresh.

But really, a work in progress . . .

Attachments

• Audio System 2.JPG
    Audio System 2.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,990
I love it.... only true audiophiles cover up their displays! :music:

I've been looking at possibly going with outlaw 970, and the outlaw 2200's, for both size and their power... what do you think of them? They have no problem driving your panels?

Very nice Beakman and I especially love the way you covered your display. :rocker: If you get the chance please post some pics of your listening seat. Take care and keep enjoying your lovely Vantages!

Glen

I've been looking at possibly going with outlaw 970, and the outlaw 2200's, for both size and their power... what do you think of them? They have no problem driving your panels?

Hey Daniel,
As you probably have discovered, Outlaw has sale prices on their 990 units. I would go for that instead of a 970 being that some 970's have a software glitch (read the "Outlaw Saloon" board on their site for details) that the 990 doesn't suffer from. Be aware that both models do not have HDMI inputs that their replacement models will have.
As far as the 2200 amps being able to power the panels, I find absolutely no problem there in my small apartment at the levels I listen to(=/<90dB). There have been other opinions about their ability, posted on this board by former and current owners of the 2200's. I have decided to see what was what in that direction and purchased a used Innersound Amp, as well as a few other magical components for comparison. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to hook them up as everything is in storage now due to an impending change of address.
Given all that, the Outlaw system is far from a bad place from which to start, and their Amps aren't flooding the used equipment sites. If you really want to keep it simple with components and budget, consider the two channel Outlaw receiver that has exellent reviews.

Very nice Beakman and I especially love the way you covered your display. :rocker: If you get the chance please post some pics of your listening seat. Take care and keep enjoying your lovely Vantages!

Glen

The listening chair, and almost everything else I own, is in storage for now. Sorry, but it wouldn't be all that exciting anyway. Interesting that I found much improvement in covering the display, must be the concave shape of the panels giving a wider dispersion in that direction than thought. For those who doubt, do a cup your hands behind your ears and focus at the point test. If the sound is harsh, dampen that spot.

Beakman System Updated

I'm all moved in to the new place and although I don't have everything unpacked, I did have my priorities in order.
Thus the almost completely different system:

1) Vintage SAE model 8000 FM Tuner -
The word isn't reception, it's rejection! This unit is verry selective and although I haven't found a stereo signal strong enough to light up its lights, what I do hear from its FM guru Don Scott modified chassis is absolutely gorgeous.

1) My existing Sony NC555ES CD/DVD Changer -
The same innards as their single tray player for $600 less and a 5 tray carousel to boot. Suckers!

1) New warranty replacement Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro equalizer -
The original unit kept dropping out of action and once I got on the horn with Behringer about a month after dropping the unit off, bang-zoom, a new unit was shipped. I hooked up into the already set up system and right away the unit started dropping out and the display went haywire. I'm using RCA's to XLR's on the preamp, so this time around I made my own shielded wires and going against the advice in the manual, I did not bridge pin 1 and 3. Wallah! Works perfectly, no drops, no hum, nothing audible except it will pick up the radio signal from the tuner if I leave it on. Behringer sorta warns about that. Otherwise, it does everything perfectly except pour my beer for me. Definitely a must for any room.

1) New Van Den Hul Array Mk1 Preamp. This is made by Array of The Netherlands. It is NOS from ~2004. It has only a numerical display and four input lamps. Remote operation only, no knobs, no dials, a twiddler's anathema. Besides, I have the Behringer for that. Flawless. Zero noise floor.

1) Used Innersound 300 stereo amplifier. Truth be known, I haven't compared it to my old amps but there is something to be said about sheer horsepower. I'm afraid of it.

2) Existing Panmax M5100-EX Power filter/surge protectors. Can't have everything blowed up.

The 2 large homade acoustic panels now have feet and can stand on their own behind the Vantages, 4 inches from the wall. I've loaded up the corner where the rack sits with the 4 footers and that alone made a huge benificial difference in soundstage and fatigue.

Other than that, the theme here is K.I.S.S. I have a lot less wires and what I do have is much more manageable - Ooo yea, I forgot, a Bello component rack I had hanging around for a few years is utilized too.

Photos will hopefully upload:

Attachments

• Rack 1b.jpg
    Rack 1b.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,181
Beakmans System Updated 2

Side view of LR.

Attachments

• LR Sideb.jpg
    LR Sideb.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,145
Beakmans System 3

Front view LR.

Attachments

• LR Frontb.jpg
    LR Frontb.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 577
Its crazy, I have those same lamps in my listening room. I really should get some new pictures up here... the current one I have is so depressing, and old.

Hey Beakman those Vantages must be much happier with more breathing room. Your system looks great.
I some how missed your original post of your system. You will have to join in the Tampa contingent for our listening get togethers.

Brad

Hey Daniel,
Be aware that both models do not have HDMI inputs that their replacement models will have.
...If you really want to keep it simple with components and budget, consider the two channel Outlaw receiver that has exellent reviews.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry I didn't notice this before.

As for HDMI, the only HDMI component I have in an XBOX360, which goes straight to my television. The stereo receiver they have is a handsome piece, but I need a toslink connection to run most of my sources into. I have the montages, and I'm sure I can get away with a receiver thats all neat in one package, but I'd like to go a little overkill, get something rated 200wpc+ and stable into 4 ohms, simply because I know the bass response will be far superior to what I have now.

You're room looks wonderful, man! Congrats on the new digs.

Back