System #45 (Monolith IIIx, SL3XC, Sequel II)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear Surrounds

Attachments

• SurroundRearCh.jpg
    SurroundRearCh.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 459
Fronts - Audessey Flat

As those of you with Audessey rigs know, they have two modes; one is corrected to their idealized target curve, which typically has a slightly depressed high frequency and slightly boosted mid-bass.

The 'Flat' setting is supposed to be just that. Here is the correction for just the 2 fronts to get to Flat.

Notice how much more High-Frequeny boost is required.

Attachments

• FrontCh_Flat.jpg
    FrontCh_Flat.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 451
Oops, missed the combined side + rears:

Attachments

• CombinedSurrCh.jpg
    CombinedSurrCh.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 458
Interesting that they do not show a correction for the driver that most needs it: The subwoofer.

Good thing I pre-Correct with the DriveRack. The FIR filters in the Audessey are notorious for being challenged by low frequencies. They shine at HF duties though. So the combo of the two type of EQ (Parametric IIR in the DriveRack + FIR in the Denon) works out well.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for posting. I'm surprised it's doing that much correction in your setup! Are you satisfied with how it sounds? Some folks who've heard my system with Audyssey invoked say it sounds great, others claim it's worse. When I have a chance, I'll re-run Audyssey in my setup both before and after my acoustic treatments are fully in place (2-3 wks from now). I'm hoping the effect of my room treatments will be clearly visible in the Audyssey graphs.

Yeah, the corrections are pretty extreme, more than I ever did using the DriveRacks, that’s for sure.

I really am waiting for the Audessey installer’s pro kit to really evaluate how well Audessey as whole does.

I think the ‘fuzzy-logic’ that selects the weightings for the various measurements is not always on-target. With the pro version one supposedly can ‘guide’ it to use various metrics as more relevant.

Where you place the mic has a LOT to do with what you get out, for instance, the first time, I got wildly differing results, even more extreme. But this time I clustered the positions more and go a more reasonable outcome.

The results of this run actually work well. I don’t think they are ideal though.

Additionally, I have yet to put up any of the ceiling treatments (some Real Traps + some DIY) so I expect some of the vertical room modes to be tamed the next time I measure. The longitudinal and lateral modes are pretty well treated (or at least, I’m out of room to do any more ;) ).

Wow Jonathan, things are definitely coming along quite nicely.:) Thanks for sharing the graph chart and Audyssey graph screen shots. I'll bet things are sounding amazing! It's going to be very interesting to see what you will be able to do with the Audyssey Pro kit once you get it.;)

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with your new preamp.:) Very cool!

Seth

JonFo,

Have you noticed much of a difference/preference with the two different Audessey corrections (I am sure the pro kit will reveal a little more objective evidence)? I have been trying both with my Denon-3808 but I can't really decide. I thought you would be the guy to ask :bowdown:

Last edited:
JonFo,

Have you noticed much of a difference/preference with the two different Audessey corrections (I am sure the pro kit will reveal a little more objective evidence)? I have been trying both with my Denon-3808 but I can't really decide. I thought you would be the guy to ask :bowdown:

You mean audessey flat vs corrected? yes, flat is much brighter, so i use the std curve correction. It's very effective.

Been a bit AWOL from here due to a fair amount of effort put into the new Denon AVP Wiki that Seth (STV) and I set up over here:

http://avppoaowners.wetpaint.com/

Great resource for all you Denon AVR owners as well, as many of the tidbits apply to both the AVP and AVR's.

What Is this?

Boy, this just showed up in the home theater, wonder what that purple glow is about?

WhatIsThis_Light.JPG

Great resource for all you Denon AVR owners as well, as many of the tidbits apply to both the AVP and AVR's.

Nothing on the Audessey setup yet. :(

I just ran Audessey on my 4806 for the first time with my new ML's last week and all of the curves seem to be a bit brighter then I'd like. I thought I recalled this being due to poor mic curves in some cases and there was a way to correct this by hand holding the mic during callibration. Can't seem to find any details on this now... :(

So any tips Jonathan for how you run Audessey???

-steve

And another pretty pic of the awesome new custom sidewall treatments.

RightSideHeadOn_sml.JPG

Nothing on the Audessey setup yet. :(

I just ran Audessey on my 4806 for the first time with my new ML's last week and all of the curves seem to be a bit brighter then I'd like. I thought I recalled this being due to poor mic curves in some cases and there was a way to correct this by hand holding the mic during callibration. Can't seem to find any details on this now... :(

So any tips Jonathan for how you run Audessey???

-steve

I'll be writing up a whole bunch of stuff on that soon. But as you see from the other pics, been a busy boy lately.

Matter of fact, going to stop posting for a bit and go watch something in the theater. There's an idea ... :D

[edit 5/10/10] - I posted a complete thread with pics and setup advice for room correction

Last edited:
Thanks JohnWA. It sounds absolutely awsome as well.

Relocated Players

This weekend I cleaned up a bunch of cabling, replacing a 35' HMDI cable that runs under the crawl space and removing old cables (like the garden hose component cable).

But the big news is the relocation of the Universal player.

Here's an article I just posted on the topic over at the AVP WiKi.

I now can change discs in a few moments without having to go behind the Monoliths and deal with doors.

Changing BluRays still requires a trip back there because that darn PS3 is loud and hot. So it stays in the chilled room with the doors to shut the sound in.

Audyssey Pro is in 'da house

Got my Audyssey Pro Calibration kit last week and finally managed to get around to doing the big tuning job.

AudySseyProCalibrationLogoWht.jpg

The results are pretty amazing. Better than the stock MultEQ XT EQ runs.

The calibrated Mic and Pro Software allow for much more precise measurements and with 10 samples used in my current run, the soundfield is pretty good.
Although it’s a bit bright, but then I didn’t choose the most rolled-off curve. I think our ESL's are so bright, one needs to go for the gentler high-end.

I received the 3.0 version of the Audyssey Pro, but before using it, I had a pending task: Upgrade the cabling for the speakers.

I had put in some large-gauge Monster cable (their high-end in 2000), but much of it was in my crawl space (as I don’t want cables all over the floor in the room).
I had some corrosion visible in the cable after 8 years down there (not plenum rated either), so I ordered some Blue Jeans Cable speaker cable (Belden 5000 – 10 gauge for Panels, 12 gauge for woofers).
So, some 350’ of cable and 20 terminations later (including shrink-wraps and all that), I fired the rig back up. All worky fine :music:

But it took 7 friggin’ hours :mad: my back hurts, I itch from the insulation and my fingers are raw. But ah, the pleasure of fresh cooper are great.

I know it made a difference, as the system is a tad bright now (less resistance, therefore more HF).

Sunday, I’ll run a new Audyssey Pro calibration on the Denon AVP after I update the firmware.
A cool feature of 3.x is it allows one to set target curves, ideal for tuning for my ML’s.

More on that tomorrow.

Back