System #196 (Aerius)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Steve Truett

2. Location: Round Rock, Texas

3. ML Model(s): Aerius

4. Year Purchased: 1995

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics: Jolida JD 1000RC integrated tube amp., VPI Scout turntable, Soundsmith - The Voice Ebony cartridge, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge, Clearaudio Aurum Beta S (wood) cartridge, Balanced Audio Technology VK-P5 tube phono amp., Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DVD, SACD, DVD-A, CD player, Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-3 tube headphone amp., Sennheiser HD-535 stereo headphones. All receive power via the Monster HTS 5100 MK II, which is located in the room directly behind the main system. There are sliding doors separating the rooms, which make it a snap to move connections! Also on that rack is a VPI HW 16.5 record cleaning machine and a Krell 400xi integrated amp. (unplugged at the moment).
Interconnects: Tara labs reference, Straightwire Maestro II, Straightwire Rhapsody S. Speaker cables: Audioquest GBC 15 ft. biwired.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: For many years I listened to the MLs via a Yamaha surround receiver. I knew that one day I would get more power for them, but my main hobby has always been motorcycling and I spent a lot of time and money on that hobby instead for a long time. As I’m getting older, I’m finding I’m listening to more and more music, so I‘ve been building up the system. When I put the Krell in the system, the difference in sound from the Yamaha was incredible. I thought I had reached audio nirvana. I then started buying various interconnects and speaker cables and with each purchase I could determine different sound. I went through many interconnects and cables before I was happy. I then got the bug for vinyl and decided on the Scout. I figured that I didn’t even care if it sounded as good as Cds or SACDs, I missed the involvement of spinning vinyl. The sound quality is just a bonus. I enjoy the sound quality that I get with Cds, SACDs, DVDs, and DVD-As. With vinyl you have to live with the occasional pop, but there are moments with vinyl that the sound is so real it’s spooky. My first phono amp was the Bellari VP 129, it sounded very good for the money, but was soft on the edges; it just didn't give it all. What it did deliver was very good, though. I totally agree with Michael Fremer that its only sins are those of omission. The BAT however, is in a totally different league! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. In listening to the Musical Fidelity headphone amp and the Bellari phono amp, I realised that I really liked the sound coming from those tube units. What pushed me over the edge was that I had visited a friend, who had just purchased a tube amp to drive his Apogees and the sound was amazing. He had been using a Classe amp, which he relegated to a second system. I then decided to try a tube amp myself. I'm glad I did, for the Jolida amp simply sounds "better" to me than the Krell. Don't get me wrong, the Krell sounds wonderful, as a matter of fact, I can't describe anything that it does "wrong", but the Jolida just does something magical to the ever important midrange. Acoustical instruments just sound more real, as well as the human voice and electric guitar.
8/15/07...I moved my speakers toward the listening area by about two feet. The difference in sound quality is stunning. I now have depth of field and imaging that I didn't before. If possible, the sound is even clearer, with it being easier to hear into the recording. Of course, whenever the grandkids come over, I'll have to move them back, but it is easy to move these speakers back and forth.
7/23/08...See page two for my new room in the new house. Also, I updated my cartridge to a Clearaudio Virtuoso a few months ago. It is even better than the Aurum Beta S. I've also added a new Adona audio rack and new record bookcase.
10/26/08...See page three, post 39 for new pics. I've added acoustical treatments and rearranged.
8/23/09...Updated pics in post 42.
8/23/10...I've moved the Aerius from my main system and added Wilson Watt Puppy 8s. I'll leave these pictures on this page and post a pic of the new Wilson a few pages down.
11/22/11...I sold the Aerius to a member of this site, Narvarr. So, for the first time since 1995, I don't own Martin Logan speakers.
03/05/12...Added the Soundsmith - The Voice Ebony cartridge. Wow, what an upgrade!
05/01/12...Added Pass Labs XA100.5 amps and XP-20 preamp. Went completely balanced and all interconnects, except phono is Straightwire Maestro, are now Mogami, with Neutrik XLRs. Some new photos on page 4, post 51.
05/02/12...I've been rearranging the audio room and have moved the records, record cleaning machine and CD's into a spare bedroom. Some new photos on page 4, post 53.
07/23/12...Posted some new photos of the front wall of the system on page 4, post 59. I've moved the rack of equipment to the right side wall, so that all that is between the speakers are the amps.
07/26/12...Added SRA amp bases. There are over 80 moving parts within each base! They transfer vibration into heat. Pics on page 5, post 64.
02/20/13...Added twenty year old audioquest Diamond silver balanced interconnects between DAC and preamp. These cables are fantastic!
02/24/13...Pictures of system with Purist Audio Design interconnects. Pics on page 5, post 69.
06/10/14...Upgraded Ayre QB-9 DAC to Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC.
07/15/14...Added pictures of new TTW GEM V2 turntable. Pics on page 5, post 73.
10/28/15...Added picture of new Spatial Isoplane. Pic on page 6, post 79.
11/05/15...Added picture of new Keith Monks Discovery One record cleaning machine. Pic on page 6, post 81.
12/31/15...Added eight new sound diffusers to my audio room. Absolutely killed any slap echo. Details on page 6, post 89.
6/21/16...Added pictures of room showing new diffusers and traps/absorbers. Post 91.
8. An image of your system…
184352729-M.jpg

165920191-M.jpg

165920253-M.jpg

165920287-M.jpg

165920318-M.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for posting your system, Geezer. You're missing the event this weekend.. Our trip to acoustic sounds was a vinyl guy's heaven..

Last edited:
Steve, very nice system.
The Jolida amp especially caught my eye, as I had a 302B integrated (50 wpc) at one time driving Magnepan MG12s. Very nice combo, just not enough juice when I wanted to crank it up.
How do you like the Jolida with the Aerius?

Mike

Steve!

Nice system! I noticed two things:

1. Jolida.... I was || this close to getting that particular amp and I noticed you have it, how is it?

2. Scout.... that's the one TT I have my grubby paws lusting over.

Joey
PS
Yep... missed out on the National Meet! Come rendevous with us next time!

Steve!

Nice system! I noticed two things:

1. Jolida.... I was || this close to getting that particular amp and I noticed you have it, how is it?

2. Scout.... that's the one TT I have my grubby paws lusting over.

Joey
PS
Yep... missed out on the National Meet! Come rendevous with us next time!

Joey, I replaced a Krell 400xi with the Jolida. The speakers sing with it! You can't go wrong with the Scout. It works exceedingly well with the Aurum Beta S cartridge and the BAT phono amp! My CD player doesn't get near the air time the Scout does!

Hi Steve...really nice system...

So the Jolida outperforms the Krell???

Huey,

I like it better. I really don't know how to explain it, but to me it just sounds fuller, more real. Even though the Jolida is rated as having less wpc, it seems to really take hold of the speakers. Must be those German transformers! Highs are sweet, bass is full and powerful. Midrange is awesome. Drums may not be quite as dynamic, but I would have to listen to both amps again to determine that for sure. When I moved into this house a month ago, I thought I'd listen to the Krell again, since the listening room was so much larger than my previous one. I listened to a couple of SACDs, via the Krell, then hooked up the Jolida. I then felt no need to go back to the Krell, the Jolida just sounded right! As far as soundstage, I really can't tell, as with all the stuff between the speakers, the depth of soundstage is minimal. This is my temporary setup until we buy a house. I think I'm going to get some Gallos Reference 3's for the Krell to drive. That might be an incredible combo!

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=64
The JD-1000RC is the top of the line from JoLida. This powerful amplifier produces a full 100 watts per channel from a quartet of EL-34 output tubes. This amplifier offers not only a great sense of power and control, but the rich, warm dimensional sound that has made tubes so desirable.

I never seen or heard of this pacticular JoLida before, looks cool.

100 watts per channel from a quartet of EL-34....................I have 10 EL-34's to get my 100 watts. Let me tell you that I can feel the heat this summer.:D

Kach, the Jolida has 4 output tubes per channel. It really puts out the heat, too! As has been said before, really good amps run hot!

Also, the Jolida has a mirror behind the tubes, so it looks like it has twice as many as it really has. I tried to capture what it looks like at night, but failed miserably. These are hints of what it really looks like...marshmallows anyone?
171268475-O.jpg

171268513-O.jpg

Last edited:
Kach, the Jolida has 4 output tubes per channel. It really puts out the heat, too! As has been said before, really good amps run hot!

Also, the Jolida has a mirror behind the tubes, so it looks like it has twice as many as it really has. I tried to capture what it looks like at night, but failed miserably. These are hints of what it really looks like...marshmallows anyone?
171268475-O.jpg

171268513-O.jpg

How often do you need to replace the tubes??

Huey, the tubes are warranted for one year or 1000 hours, whichever comes first. That being said, the output tubes are rated to last 3000 hours (6 years at 10 hours a week) and the preamp and driver tubes are rated at 6000 hours.

Lovely set-up

slowGEEZR, your sig. should read....

"keep them lamps trimmed and burning" :D

Back