Martin Logan Purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torro

Reaction score
High-End Munich 2007

MLPurity.jpg

MLPurityfront.jpg

Two 6,5" woofers powered by a 200 watts amplifier. The amp also powers the panel.

MLPurityaktiv.jpg

No way this is the clarity replacement. That's been code-named the "source" iirc. This one has powered woofers and panel!!! Gonna be wayyy out of the clarity price range. This has got to be something up there along the vista area. It also looks like it has the same panel as the vista/vantage.

Last edited:
Any info on can the internal (read crappy most likely) amp be bypassed to the panels?

Very interesting to see ML bring an Active speaker to market.

It makes sense to me, if you have to plug in the speaker ANYWAY, you might as well get perfectly matched amplification thrown in.

It should also have digital inputs, in my opinion.

-Allen

That looks like the answer to 15 or so threads I've seen here.

"I want to use my MLs for HT but my receiver has about ¼ the power I need and chokes on the impedance."

With two 6.5" woofers I can't imagine it's not intended for use with a sub, too.

Hrm.... I wonder where in the line this really fits in. Looks nice though...

I wonder if one can bypass the onboard amps for the panels.

Hmmm......I like the concept. I think there is definitely a relatively untapped market for active speakers...although it would be much to the shagrin of amp makers. :)

And if you can truly bypass the amp and run outboard, even better! I know you COULD bypass the amp even if there isn't an OEM switch to do it for you....but it would likely void any warranty. hehehe.....

I would love to know what they are using.....ICEpower likely?

I just realized that this would make a killer surround for a setup that is tailored towards 2ch. I mean, no need to buy amps! All they need now is a powered center Stage speaker.... and all a 2ch afficionado would need is the same 2ch amp he uses, but just add to that mix a pre/pro...

That looks like the answer to 15 or so threads I've seen here.

"I want to use my MLs for HT but my receiver has about ¼ the power I need and chokes on the impedance."

That is *exactly* what I think is going through the heads in Kansas! Your average consumer isn't going to worry about amps, etc, etc. They want, even expect, their cheap sony receiver to work fine.

As for what's going through my head... A transporter hooked up directly to a pair of these. :)

Browsed this thread again today, just got off work....

It's a sick looking speaker man... I just love the look ML is putting out for these hybrids.

It sure LOOKS like the Clarity, I had immediately assumed it was the Clarity replacement when I saw it.

The picture shows a low level input terminal as well as binding posts for speaker level inputs. So yes, one can bring one's own amps, I think.

The main reason why the active speaker idea never really took off is that the analog interconnects between a pre-amp and an active speaker are so much more sensitive to noise than speaker cables.

A digital connection would be a different pot of stew. It would also require AD conversion at the source end and DA conversion in the speaker.

Looking at the low level connection again it does look a lot like a Toslink... Now that would be exciting for HT apps.

Toslink? Maybe not . . . . .

Looking at the low level connection again it does look a lot like a Toslink... Now that would be exciting for HT apps.

I don't think so. Toslink doesn't travel very far very well. Glass or coax would be fine though -- or even analog XLR interconnects. The connection you're referring to says "line level input."

It would be too good to be true.

The cable is very thin for a coax or long distance shielded stereo connection. It is certainly not XLR. Some kind of proprietary analog connection? I have seen photos of expensive and skinny cables like these before. The brand was Crystal or something similar, I think.

Far is relative though. Toslink cables can be made out of plastic or glass fibres. Plastic handles tighter bending better. Distance is not the main problem per se for in-home use. Corners can be. It is also not easy to splice optical cables - which should not be a concern for home applications.

Active High Resolution High Quality Speaker

The only type of analong inputs I would want on an active speaker of this quality and price would be xlr.... it only makes sense..... having a balanced input! That is how most studio monitors are sent audio signals (while some do take the digital inputs as well, tho not as commonly found.)

My other question is if that is really a toslink optical input, seeing that most HT receivers/processors have only 1 or maybe 2 toslink outputs, how would one send a toslink signal to 2 speakers if they have only 1 output from their receiver?

I suppose the other question is, to what degree are they powering the panel, what wattage, amp class, etc etc..... If they were to do this would they essentially be saying that this amp/speaker combination is ULTIMATE:bowdown: or is it just satisfactory, since they do allow the speaker binding posts? Many questions not enough answers.....

although it does make me think twice about purchasing clarity's right about now.... tho the offer was 1400$ for the pair.....:rolleyes:

All I can hope for is a delicious set of MARTIN LOGAN GOODNESS recreating sounds and music for me sometime in the near future!

Back