System #168 (Vista, Cinema i, Script i, Grotto)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burke

Reaction score
System #168 (Summit, Stage, Script i, Descent i)

Name: John Burke Gallagher

Purchased: July 2006 - Aug 2007

Previous ML speakers: none. The room as first pictured in (July 2006) has a pair of Vistas, a Cinema i, three Script i, and a Grotto subwoofer. Joeyists has since struck twice and combined with Tweeter's one year trade in policy, all but the Script i surrounds have been traded out.

Mains: Summits (Mar 2007)
Center: Stage (Mar 2007)
Surrounds: Script i (Jul 2006)
Sub: Descent i (Aug 2007)

Room size: 11 x 14 (reduced to 10 x 13 by new room treatments Jan 2009)

Mods/Changes: 2.5" spikes added to rear of Summits

Associated Electronics:
Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro
Sanders ESL mono block amplifiers for Left/Right/Center Summits and Stage
Sanders ESL 2ch amplifier (2ch), for Left/Right surrounds Script I.
Sunfire Symphonic Reference 2ch amplifier for Left/Right Surround Back Script I
Oppo DV-981HD DVD/SACD player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray player
DirectTV HR-21 satellite receiver / DVR
Sony VPL-HS20 projector

Dedicated 120V 20A circuit for electronics
Dedicated 240V 20A circuit for Sanders ESL Amplifiers
Dedicated ground (wires and ground rod) for the media room.

Room Treatments:
see thread The Room with in a Room Project

Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
Back in the early 70's I first heard the Infinity ServoStatic-1 electrostatic speakers. I never forgot how great they sounded, nor about how electrostatic speakers worked as compared to magnetic speakers. 15 years later I listened to a pair of Stax headphones. I always wanted electrostatic speakers some day. Now that kids are out of college, I can afford them. Never been happier with the sound.:)

Unfortunately Joeyitist struck, in Jan 2007 after Martin Logan demoed the Summits for the Chicago Audio Society. I took delivery of the Summits and Stage mid March 2007. I had hoped that would cure it but no, the more you feed the disease the worse it gets. Cherian was doing some upgrades and sold me his Sunfire Symphonic Reference amp. What a difference that made to the Summits (night and day compared to the Pioneer receiver). But I kept reading the site and during RMAF Sleepysurmf starting posting about this new amp, especially built for electrostatic speakers, Rich got one at the show and loved it, So I bought myself and early Christmas present. Loved it so much I want to get a three channel for the center and surrounds, but Roger does not make a 3 channel, He suggested a 2 channel and a mono block for the center. That sounded ok but I could not bring myself to put the mono block on the Stage and leave the Summits to the 2ch amp, so three mono blocks it is.

Everyone that stops by leaves wanting a ML system. And those that have heard the original Vistas, comment about how much better the Summits sound.

In Dec. 2007 I moved the electronics and ran all the wiring in the walls and crawlspace. I think it looks much better than before.

Pictures: (more pictures of the Dec 2007) posted to thread at that time.
1. (Fall 2006) Original setup with Vistas, Cinema, and Grotto
2. (Spring 2007) the Summits, Stage, Grotto
3. (Dec. 2007) Summits, Stage, Descent i.
4. (Jan. 2009) new room treatments.

Attachments

• IMG_1947-02.jpg
    IMG_1947-02.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,131
  • IMG_2005-01.jpg
    IMG_2005-01.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,698
  • IMG_4189-01.jpg
    IMG_4189-01.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,198
Last edited:
Hey John, welcome aboard!

I would suggest getting additional amplification before going to Summits. That poor Pioneer is probably struggling now. :eek:

Congrats.

Burke,

Nice set up! You will want more/better amplification in time. I was using a VSX 49TX for my power and switching for years and then moved up to Rotel separates and MAN did that improve the sound! Not that it was bad w/ the Pioneer, but the Rotel was just a lot better. I am sure Mac or MBL gear would be even better still, but just don't have the budget for that kind of stuff yet! Also keep in mind the VSX49TX was the flagship model for Pioneer for a LONG time and I am not sure they have built a better unit since.

Burke,

Great system and I will second what everyone has said about amplification... but know that you can wait on that. Get one thing at a time.

Besides, you seem to be a true audiophile judging from the radio shack meter I spy in one of the pics!

:p

Joey

New Amps

I know about the amplifiers. But the Summits and Stage will just about eat up this years bonus. Am going to go with the Summits first because Tweeter will let me trade-in the Vistas and Cinema for full purchase price.

When ML was at the Chicago Audio Society. They brought up the Theta Digital rep and a the Dreadnaught amplifier. I have always liked Theta's designs, I have search audigon for a Dreadnaught and found several. But Theta is about to introduce a new digital power amplifier, The call it Virtu Power DAC. It is a custom pcm dac with a 150W / per chanel power supply. I definately want to see and hear this before investing a amplifier worthy of the Summits. If I can find a used 3 channel Drednaught or Krell I may go with that and then resell it when the final descision is made.

Marvelous Vista HT System...

John,

Excellent Audio Set-up. Your system must be extremely satisfying during music listing and especially HT... :cheers: If I may be so bold as to ask..., what are your favorite kinda films to see on your system?

I am very glad you are enjoying "Half The Perfect World". Naturally, I have been listening to all of her repertoire, as her concert is less than two weeks away. :D Madeleine Peyroux must sound fantastic on your set-up... I'm truly thrilled to be seeing her live. I will let you know how the concert was... Madeleine is C'es Fantastique! :D

It is really good to have you here. :D

Attachments

• madeleine_peyroux.jpg
    madeleine_peyroux.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,616
Burke,
Nice setup, sounds like you've already made up your mind on the Summits!
Congrats, Looking forward to seeing the pics of the Summits.
:cheers:

Burke, Schweet setup... Summits are awesome... you'll love them... Let us know what you get for amplification w/ your next bonus :rocker:

John,

Excellent Audio Set-up. Your system must be extremely satisfying during music listing and especially HT... :cheers: If I may be so bold as to ask..., what are your favorite kinda films to see on your system?

I am very glad you are enjoying "Half The Perfect World". Naturally, I have been listening to all of her repertoire, as her concert is less than two weeks away. :D Madeleine Peyroux must sound fantastic on your set-up... I'm truly thrilled to be seeing her live. I will let you know how the concert was... Madeleine is C'es Fantastique! :D

It is really good to have you here. :D

The collection is mostly sci-fi and action movies but I have a little of everything including some classic musicals like West Side Story. I also have all of the Pixar films, a very good friend of mine in Houston has a small animation studio there and he got me hooked on Pixar (even before Toy Story) I have been helping him with his computers for 27 years now.

The suround sound is fantastic, I was using the gun fight scene from Open Range to demo this afternoon. Also the Eagles "Hell froze over" concert, and Eric Clapton's 'Slowhand' muti-channel SACD.

Robin,
If you get to Chicago look some of us up and we will go see my other favorite female singer Patricia Barber at the Green Mill.

A very nice looking system you have. Welcome to a fellow Chicagoan. Go Bears!!!

A very nice looking system you have. Welcome to a fellow Chicagoan. Go Bears!!!

thank you, we will have to get all of the Chicago members together some day, and arrange to see everyone's systems in person. Our own little regional get-together.

:cheers: Amen to Go Bears!!! :cheers:

thank you, we will have to get all of the Chicago members together some day, and arrange to see everyone's systems in person. Our own little regional get-together.

:cheers: Amen to Go Bears!!! :cheers:

Burke,

We have done a mini-Chicago get-together... it was Cherian, Chris, and I a few months ago. We will try again someday.

GO BEARS!! Tomorrow's the day we become champs!!

JOey :cheers:

Wonderful...

The collection is mostly sci-fi and action movies but I have a little of everything including some classic musicals like West Side Story. I also have all of the Pixar films, a very good friend of mine in Houston has a small animation studio there and he got me hooked on Pixar (even before Toy Story) I have been helping him with his computers for 27 years now.

The suround sound is fantastic, I was using the gun fight scene from Open Range to demo this afternoon. Also the Eagles "Hell froze over" concert, and Eric Clapton's 'Slowhand' muti-channel SACD.

Robin,
If you get to Chicago look some of us up and we will go see my other favorite female singer Patricia Barber at the Green Mill.
John,

My son has all the Pixar films as well. He was very interested in becoming a Digital Visual Media programmer at one time. He still may go into that area, who knows but he loves the digital animation of Pixar.;)

The films and CD/SACD's you mentioned are marvelous. I enjoy those as well. :D

I will definitely look-up some of you guys if I am ever in Chicago. I would love to see Patricia Barber. I forgot she was based in Chicago. That would be really lovely... :D

Oh man.. that was so long ago! So much has changed.. no longer Rotels.... Cherian needs to come by again and listen!

JOey

Do you actually keep the gear longer enough to get it broken in before upgrading?:D

Last edited:
Pictures with the Summits (loaners)

Here are the Summits I am auditioning. They passed.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1994-01.jpg
    IMG_1994-01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 375
Here are the Summits I am auditioning. They passed.:)

WOW! They look so much like mine! Clear aluminum rails.... though yours are black, not cherry like mine...

Are those demos are those the ones you're keeping, Burke?

Joey

Latest posts

Back