System #98 (Vista)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
1. Mark V.

2. Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

3. Vista (mains), Vignette (centre), Grotto i Sub, Motion 4 (surrounds)

4. 2010 - Vista
- 2004 - Clarity
- 2000 - Scenario

5. No real modifications.

6. Associated Electronics:
* Rotel RSX-1560 AVR
* OPPO BDP-83
* Rega DAC (new Dec2013)
* Sharp LC46-D94U
* Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii, Apple TV v2
* Logitech Harmony Touch Remote
* Interconnects & Speaker Cable: All 'Signal Cable' (Power, Analog, Coax, HDMI, Optical, Speaker)
* Monster Pro 3500 Power

7. Fell in Love with Logans from the first time I heard them when I auditioned the Scenario/Script/Cinema in 1999 at Brack Electronics in Toronto. In 2000, I ended up purchasing the demo Scenario's at a great price. This took me to a whole new level of audio appreciation, expense and obsession.
In 2004, went to the Clarity's & Rotel and in 2009, revamped most of the supporting electronics.
In 2010, upgrade to the Vista's.

8. * Picture 1: Current Vista system
* Picture 2&3: Clarity system & current set of electronics
* Picture 4: 2004 Clarity system

Attachments

• mvAVSys1-mlc.jpg
    mvAVSys1-mlc.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 790
  • mvAvSys2.jpg
    mvAvSys2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 769
  • mvAvSys3.jpg
    mvAvSys3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 792
  • mvAvSys4.jpg
    mvAvSys4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Nice system and nice journey you mentioned there! The Claritys are definitely a step in the right direction, glad to see you have it well laid out in your room. The Claritys look extremely elegant in that configuration.

As for your upgrade wishlist... I can see that you will have a super system when you're all done and after the dust settles.

Joey :)

Dreams & Supporing Pics..

Enclosed are the additional pictures.. Pulsar points mod and cabling.

I needed a Logan fix on the weekend and wanted to see the Vignette, Fesco and subwoofers. Went to Audio Excellence and got to audition the Vignettes, Grotto and Dynamo.

I ended up talking to the VP of Sales and the Summits were his favorite speakers. I said that they were way too much for my room and budget and then mentioned that I may appreciate the Vantgage. We'll, after talking for 5 minutes I had visions of Vantage as the mains, Cinema i as centre and moving the Clarity's to the rear.. and then upgrading to Classe for supporting electronics.. nice dream but shook my head and let reality kick in again..

The room was about 50% larger than mine. They had a full Vignette/Dynamo setup around a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma.

The demo started and I was immediately amazed. Did the Dynamo ever fill out the sound stage. Nice bass but no earth shattering shake. Works for me as I'm in a townhouse and had my neighbour come over on two occasions due to volume and shake. I did not find any additional value with the Grotto at twice the price.

The Vignettes were impressive at first but started grating on me after about 5 minutes. Too forward. Maybe they were not broken in or maybe it was the electronics (Anthem). My system is very laid back.. maybe my combo with Rotel electronics. I think that I do want a Vignette for the centre as I'ld like a little more puch and forwardness from the centre channel. They did not have the Fresco. Still works for me as if I do fall for the Fresco, I can later replace the centre and will do Vignettes in the rear.

Anyway, supporting pictures attached.. dreaming over for the moment..

Over and out.. Mark

Attachments

• mvLoganRotelSys2sm-PPs.jpg
    mvLoganRotelSys2sm-PPs.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,399
  • mvLoganRotelSys4sm-Cables.jpg
    mvLoganRotelSys4sm-Cables.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3,358
That’s a nice little system you got there. The clarity’s go very well with the rest of your room (or from what I can see of it). If you ever wanted to step up in speakers the Vista or Vantage would be a good choice, I think the Summit would over power the corner of your room. Martin Logan’s really need to be out in an open area to be at there very best.

Thanks for posting.

Everytime I see your Clarity pics, I want to buy a pair... they look gorgeous... I just had to comment again.

Thanks..

Thanks..
After spending way too much time here, I'm lusting for more. (Vantage, Classe, etc..)
But I was listening to Norah Jones, Sade, Enigma and Royskop on the weekend, put the reciever in bypass mode (no digital processing), turned off the NAC's and remember why I fell in love with these. (Actully purchased the floor model at a great price without auditioning them.. just figured it would be a great upgrade from the Scenario's I had.. buy was I right)
Now just lusting over a subwoffer.. especially when listening to Enigma and Royskpop.. whenever my finacee asks what do you want to do, I say let's go get a sub and centre channel.. someday she'll say yes.
Still waiting for my Norodost Solar Wind speaker cables to come in.. Also ordered Dire Straits on DVD-A and can't wait for that to come in.. what an obsession!
Cheers,
Mark

Ah yes.. the subwoofer adventure begins!

For that, you know of the obligatory Descent or Depth... but I would like to add some other subs to that elegant list:

Velodyne DD18/15... if you can find these used... ooohhh... so nice. Auto eq - complete servo control.. just put the mic at your sweet spot and wallah... perfectly calibrated subwoofer within +/- 3db or better.

Keep us updated on future adventures.

Great Clarity System...

Mark,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your Clarity's look fantastic! I like how your system presents in your listening room (someday to be a HT room). I couldn't help but notice you have an iPod on top if your system and another iPod looking device, what is that device? Is it another type of iPod? Do you have them connected to your system?

Excellent Clarity system. Good luck on your Subwoofer seach... ;)

It is good to have you here. :D

Hi Robin..

Yes, that's an iPod hooked up with Monster iPod cable. We use it a lot for background music. Also have a PS2 hooked throught the system but it's hidden away under the TV.
The other device is not so interesting.. it's a clock/thermometer. You can't see it but my thermostat is on the wall just behind the system with a fridge on the other side of the wall. The place was always a little cooler (than the thermostat reading) so we move the clock/thermometer around to veirfy room temperature and adjust accordingly.
The VCR is going to be retired this week as I just ordered a digital cable/PVR box. Just one more step of many!

On with the journey!
Cheers,
Mark

You can also buy Velodyne's EQ system seperately now, pick up a Depth and configure it without spending all that money on the DD.

Clarity System Morph 1

Well, a separation does wonders for a system, at least in my case. In addition to moving in an setting up a new condo in downtown Toronto, I took the opportunity to invest a little in my system.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do everyting I wanted to, but here are the changes:

1) replaced the TV with a Sony 32in Bravia XBR II (the place is only 500 sq.ft. so I went for the smaller size.. figure it would be a good bedroom TV someday)

2) well, the old Rotel DVD player did not cut it on on new TV so I sold it and purchased a Marantz DV 7600 upscaling universal player. Not only did the pitcture quality improve (as expected) but the sound out of this machine is nothing short of amazing (which I did NOT expect) and have the bonus of starting an SACD collection.

3) added a Monster 3400 Pro Power Center.. for less than $300 Canadian, I couldn't resist.

4) added the iPod DLO Dock so the iPod menus come up on the TV. Very convenient when I just want background music and also impressive when I have people over.

5) I desparately wanted a proper enclosure/stand for my system and looked around on the web and high end shops for months. I did not find anything I liked and anything close was over $2K Canadian. To make a long story short, one of my friends at work has a friend who retired and loves woodworking. After numerous conversations about design, etc, he hand buit this unit out of soild pine (to match my Mexican pine units). He did an amazing job: stained and finished perfectly inside and out, built to my specs, the shelves have cutouts for ventilation, we have 3 inch holes across and down for cabling. I am so pleased and it was less than 1/2 the price of what I saw out there with a similar design.

6) finally got the Nordost Solar Wind speaker cables and they're amazing.

Setting up a new place is not cheap.. enve in 500 sq.ft. so there is much more to go:
- I desparately need a centre channel (probably a Fresco) as I watch a lot of movies
- a subwoffer is next on the list
- will eventually get to rears (probably Vignettes)
- the design of the unit will allow for a heafty amp to drive all 5 speakers when I'm done

The small space is amazing, the setups works great form me and the view of downtown Toronto is spectacular. Will post more pics later but need to borrow and ultra wideagle for Canon 20D.

I Love this site. Although I don't contribute much, I am on every other day or so reading through the great information. Thank all for the great information!

Attachments

• mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph2sm.jpg
    mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph2sm.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,204
more Morph Pics..

A couple of more pics..

Attachments

• mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph1sm.jpg
    mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph1sm.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,398
  • mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph3sm.jpg
    mvLoganSys-2006-Nov-Morph3sm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 3,324
Nice!

Hey, its Bill in North Carolina.
I am so jealous. I am lusting after Claritys right now...
Very nice indeed.

BTW, I use Vignettes for center and rears for HT, with my Mosaics and Grotto. A sub most certainly will help for movies-- real impact as you actually feel the movie. The vignettes are great for surround, but I will eventually go with the cinema.

I am going Rotel myself. I have a RMB 1095 5ch amp coming, and can't wait.
I am going to hook through my Yamaha via pre-outs, then upgrade to a dedicated surround pre-pro.

Again, VERY nice!
:D (green with envy...)
Bill

Hi Mark,

Was admiring you nice setup you got there.

Noticed you coiled your cables, probably for neatness. Not so good, cause it creates a transformer-like effect, I'm told, and is detrimental to the signals. Also try to keep power cables away from signal lines to minimise 60 Hz hum pickup.

Ben

Last edited:
Thanks Bill & Ben..
Just got a sub (Sunfire True Sub Jr.) on Saturday and poste under 9x9x9 bundle of joy in the main forum.
I am now lusting after the Vignette for the centre. In my current place, it doesn't make too much sense to do rears
I'm not too worried about my cabling now as the cables run pretty straight in the new setup. My noise floor, even in the old setup, was/is pretty much zero.
Thanks for the comments, Mark

How is the sound quality from the ipod dock?
Is it worth looking into, or should I just stick with media?

Just a sweet sweet Clarity-based system! Must be fun just sitting back and listening! Love the evolution!

Joey

Hi billman,

The iPod dock is good for casual listening when you want background music. I don't use it for any serious listening. The DLO dock is cool because you get to navigate the iPod menus (DLO's version) via their remote and see it on the TV.
I also have the Apple universal dock and there is no difference in sound quality between that and the DLO.. just that teh DLO gives you TV display and a much better remote.

What I have found interesting is that I have an AirPort Express hooked into my system via an optical cable (versus the stereo analog). Sound quality wise, it seems much better than through the dock. I would assume that if your rips are in extremely high bitrates or uncompressed Apple lossless, it would be worthy contender to the original disc.
I'll rips some songs using Apple Lossless and get back to you.
Just my thoughts and obersvations.

evolition..

Hi Joey,

After setting up 2 surround systems for friends of mine over Christmas (both of them with Marantz 6001 recievers and 5.1 Mirage OmniSat speaker set), I finally decided that I needed to complete my system and make it a full 5.1.

So, just after Christmas, I ordered a black Vignette to use as my centre channel. Can't wait until it comes in. I can't justify the $900 each Canadian with tax, nor can I afford the Vignettes for the rears so I held off on ordering three of them. I'll be fine running one as the centre.

Until yesterday when I dropped into my local shop where I purchased my Rotel reciever. My sales guy was demoing a 5.1 B&W M-1 based system with a Rotel reciever & Fujitsu plasma and it sounded pretty darn good for what it is. When he was done, I asked him about pricing and walked out with two black M-1's and $500 poorer.

So, when my order arrives, the 5.1 speaker system will be complete..
- Clarity mains
- Vignette centre
- B&W M-1 rears
- Sunfire Super Jr Sub
I'll post updated pictures when it's all put together

Yippeee.. I'm done, done, done, done.. for now :|

Hi Joey,

I asked him about pricing and walked out with two black M-1's and $500 poorer.

Yippeee.. I'm done, done, done, done.. for now :|

I suspect you've just medicated your Joeyitis into a temporary remission...it will likely flare up again in a few months...:)

Peter

Back