System #79 (Revel Studio II's , previous Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Name: Dave

Revel Studio II

Associated components:
Sub - Velodyne DD-15
Amp's - PASS Labs X260.8
Pre-amp - Audio Research LS-28
CD - Marantz SA-KI 'Ruby'
Turntable - VPI Aries 3, Benz-Micro 'Gullwing' Cartridge, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamp, VPI SDS, "Super Platter", Perf. Ring, BDR Clamp
Cabling- DH Labs (Air Matrix), Cat Cables (King Cat), DIY(magnet wire configuration for TT-phonopre-preamp), Speaker cable(Signal cable- Ultra), Power (Signal Cable)
power conditioning - Shyunata Denali 6000s
Acoustic Treatments - GIK Acoustics- Tri-Traps, DIY Rear corner Bass traps, DIY Ceiling corner traps, Auralex- various reflective points.
room - 14'6" x 24' x 8'

After 35 years with Maggies and Logans I have ventured back to 'cones', only time will tell how long this lasts............

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,616
  • IMG_0128 audio rack 4:18:20.jpg
    IMG_0128 audio rack 4:18:20.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Beautiful system...

Dave,

As I said before you have a beautiful system... :D I'm glad to see it here, amoungest almost all, of our member system's. I've been meaning to ask you, what is in your safe? Rare CD's or DVD's? The safe almost looks like it could be apart of your system, like an unusual electrostatic pannel. Who knows, maybe the sound waves bouncing off the steel of the safe, give your sound a positively unique flavor... :D

All kidding aside, Dave you have a super fine, cool system... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

No rare CD's but I do have the Beattles White Alblum !! Unfortunatlely my room is not dedicated soley to "musical entertainment" even though it is decent size
(15' x 24', 8' ceilings) the opposite end is my office area. It is as accoustically neutral as I can get it (for now). Thanks again all, glad to be on board and look forward to continued good constructive dialouqe !!!!

Dave

Last edited:
LP collection...

twich54 said:
No rare CD's but I do have the Beattles White Alblum !! Unfortunatlely my room is not dedicated soley to "musical entertainment" even though it is decent size
(17' x 28', 8' ceilings) the opposite end is my office area. It is as accoustically neutral as I can get it. Thanks again all, glad to be on board and look forward to continued good constructive dialouqe !!!!

Dave
Dave,

You have the White album... So did I... :D Unfortunately, I sold all of my LP's several years ago, and I've regreted it ever since... :rolleyes: I am curious, do you have an extensive LP collection? I'll bet you didn't sell your collection, like dumb me... :eek: Do you listen to mostly Jazz or Rock or a little bit of everything on your record collection?

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Dave,

You have the White album... So did I... :D Unfortunately, I sold all of my LP's several years ago, and I've regreted it ever since... :rolleyes: I am curious, do you have an extensive LP collection? I'll bet you didn't sell your collection, like dumb me... :eek: Do you listen to mostly Jazz or Rock or a little bit of everything on your record collection?

Cheers

-Robin
My LP collection falls somewhere in the 500-700 range, lately I have purchasing only 180 & 200 gram pressings. I enjoy all forms of music , classic rock, blues, jazz, new age,big band, classical, live recordings of the Int'l Tatoo from Halifax,NS- awesome stuff if you have not listened to it !!!

Cool Record collection...

twich54 said:
My LP collection falls somewhere in the 500-700 range, lately I have purchasing only 180 & 200 gram pressings. I enjoy all forms of music , classic rock, blues, jazz, new age,big band, classical, live recordings of the Int'l Tatoo from Halifax,NS- awesome stuff if you have not listened to it !!!
twich54,

Your record collection sounds extensive and totally awesome... :D I am not familiar with 180 & 200 gram pressings, are they extra high quality LP's? Do you find the Records sound better that CD's or SACD's, as played on your system?
I'll have to give 'Int'l Tatoo' from Halifax, NS a try, thanks for the recommendation... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Yes 180 and 200 gram pressings are of higher quality. I have many LP's that will blow away their CD counterparts. That being said to get the most out them one can't do it with a $300 analog set-up so dollar for dollar the CD is a bargin by todays standards. I just happen to find good vinyl much more musically involving than CD, but I do enjoy both ! Afterall it's the music and the enjoyment that means the most !!

Regarding the Nova Scotia International Tattoo the 1998 performance was excellent. You can call their society at 800-563-1114 for availability.

Good Luck !!

Great infomation...

twich54 said:
Yes 180 and 200 gram pressings are of higher quality. I have many LP's that will blow away their CD counterparts. That being said to get the most out them one can't do it with a $300 analog set-up so dollar for dollar the CD is a bargin by todays standards. I just happen to find good vinyl much more musically involving than CD, but I do enjoy both ! Afterall it's the music and the enjoyment that means the most !!

Regarding the Nova Scotia International Tattoo the 1998 performance was excellent. You can call their society at 800-563-1114 for availability.

Good Luck !!
Dave,

I appericate all the excellent information... :D

Thanks again,

Cheers

-Robin

Updated my listing to reflect the addition of M / L Fresco for center channel, along with Musical Fidelity CD player. Maybe when the Stage appears a rich relative will have passed so I can put it in the "middle" and get another Fresco to make them the surrounds. Nothing wrong with dreaming !!

twich54 said:
Updated my listing to reflect the addition of M / L Fresco for center channel, along with Musical Fidelity CD player. Maybe when the Stage appears a rich relative will have passed so I can put it in the "middle" and get another Fresco to make them the surrounds. Nothing wrong with dreaming !!

Dreaming for a rich relative to pass, or dreaming for the stage? :D

well since I don't have any rich relatives I'll just have to stick with dreaming about the new / upcoming stage ctr channel. Buy the way to those that are "phto" savy what is the best way to reduce picture size so it will fit yet maintain decent resolution ?? through the camera when you take it or after when you fiddle with in the computer, and yes you all guessed correctly ....my computer skills aren't worth a tinkers damn.

twich54 said:
well since I don't have any rich relatives I'll just have to stick with dreaming about the new / upcoming stage ctr channel. Buy the way to those that are "phto" savy what is the best way to reduce picture size so it will fit yet maintain decent resolution ?? through the camera when you take it or after when you fiddle with in the computer, and yes you all guessed correctly ....my computer skills aren't worth a tinkers damn.

Pick the size in the computer when you fiddle with it, usually. Unless you are hard up for disk space, always shoot pictures at the highest quality and resolution that you can stand. That way, you'll have a high quality image for archive purposes, and can manipulate it later for other purposes. For some of my large format images, I end up with 600+ Mbyte files...

For JPEG images, you can dramatically reduce the size by reducing the output "quality" setting to something like "medium" without overly messing up the image quality, particularly just for display on a website. In many image programs, this choice is made during the "Save As..." step. Better ones will have a quality slider that will dynamically show you the before/after image quality, and original and compressed file sizes.

Dave,

Good choice for a center (even if it is "temporary")! How does it timbre match with the Vantages?

Joey

Joey_V said:
Dave,

Good choice for a center (even if it is "temporary")! How does it timbre match with the Vantages?

Joey
Joe, no complaints. My main listening is for two channel music(80-90%) . Truthfully my previous system(all Klipsch7 series stuff) was every bit as good as the M/L on movies but the horn's got to me when it came to two channel music.

twich54 said:
Joe, no complaints. My main listening is for two channel music(80-90%) . Truthfully my previous system(all Klipsch7 series stuff) was every bit as good as the M/L on movies but the horn's got to me when it came to two channel music.

I figured the Klipsch would be good for movies, afterall, many theaters are equipped with klipsch speakers. Those guys are made for movies moreso than 2 channel music.

I would like to outfit my HT room with klipsch speakers one day... cost effective but good sounding at the same time.

Look what "I" got for Mothers Day !! ARC LS-26

After listening to it in my system I couldn't return it ! Yes Spike I know I still need to expand my horizons but this thing was such a quantum leap over the SP-16, I figured....... oh hell, why not spend some more of the kids inheritance !

twich54 said:
After listening to it in my system I couldn't return it ! Yes Spike I know I still need to expand my horizons but this thing was such a quantum leap over the SP-16, I figured....... oh hell, why not spend some more of the kids inheritance !

Uh oh... poor kids!

What makes this preamp better Dave? Can you expound on this a little more? And, how did you come to this conclusion (ie A/B testing and what material)?

Pics too!!

Nonetheless... CONGRATS on the Mother's Day goodies!

Joey, the A/B testing was done last week @ Overture Audio (see my post on Auditioning the LS-26). The single biggest difference between the LS-26 and the SP-16 is the "lifting of another veil" whereby all the instruments become more clearly focused, identifiable and spacially postioned as if "you were there live". I have spent many hours over the past few months listening to the ARC REF-3 and this thing is mighty close. It was easy for me to discern the difference between my "16" and the "26" whereas I don't know if I could blindly tell the difference between the Ref3 and the "26".

Last edited:
Back