Why do they have no hair?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
So I went to a restaurant that I frequent and there were about 15 Highway Patrolmen having lunch. They all had shaved their heads.

This is also the case with our sheriff's deputies and police officers.

I have the greatest respect for these folks but I don't quite understand why they think having a bald head is part and parcel to their position.

I know, in this community, its not about the climate.

I have my theory but I would like to hear from other members.

Is this phenomena true in your community and if so, why?

GG

Maybe there was a hair lice outbreak at the station

That's funny:ROFL:! I can't answer with certainty Gordon as to why they shave their heads, but in my department some do and some don't. I have found this usually stems from their military background; more of a convenience thing. I do not shave my head, mother nature is doing this for me:eek:. However, in our department we are to have a clean cut look with a shorter style hair cut. No floppy mops. But I do believe some think it looks more intimidating and therefore shave their heads. As for me, clipper cut two and out the door:D.

Let's see long pants thick shoes bullet proof vest a gun and a lot of other uncomfortable stuff to cool off I would shave my head as well

In L.A. certain groups, since disbanded, at least officially, within departments, LAPD and sheriff's in particular, shaved their head to stand out from out-members, or those who were not members of those "gangs" within the departments.

Could be compassion

I have a good friend that is a Detroit firefighter and when a fellow firefighter started his chemo therapy his friends shaved their heads in support. If you really wanted to know you should have asked them.

Shaved heads are desperately common in Sydney - I sport one myself. Referred to by the none shaved as the "balding middle aged man cut". It is so common that it has no meaning in and of itself in terms of affiliations, fashion statement etc.

Once you shave you never go back - the convenience value is significant with the notable exception of sunburn (only once - idiot). Temperature loss in Sydney is not significant and cured by a beanie once or twice a year.

Kevin

Just curious, what is your theory?

Hi Fountain

To answer your question, as alluded to in a response to this thread, and within the context of my smallish community, fear and intimidation.

IMHO, not good regarding public relations, in a small community with very little crime and a population of 20,000.

As a point of reference, in the past, we used to have outdoor concerts.

The local law enforcement agencies felt it was appropriate to enforce the following:

1) After purchasing a beer, you were unable to return to your seat (with beer in hand) and you would have to drink the beer behind a well defined, fenced area.

2) The designated beer drinking area was illuminated with lights.

Guess what, we don't have many live concerts anymore.

GG

Last edited:
Back