What volume level...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
do you listen at? How many dB? I'm in the 85dB or so bracket.

Last edited:
Average listening SPL with a Rat Shack Digital SPL meter is about 85 with peaks in the 100 but they are quick. That is fast setting and c weighted !

It depends on the recording for me - and also my mood. Mostly around 80-85dB, but when my system is sounding particularly good I can average 95dB or so.

Loud enough to give me tinitus the next day.

But that is better than some of the punk rock concerts I used to go to years ago. Some of those would give me tinitus for an entire week!:devil:

Loud enough to give me tinitus the next day.

But that is better than some of the punk rock concerts I used to go to years ago. Some of those would give me tinitus for an entire week!:devil:

damn! that's not good.

Don't worry... I don't do it that loud too often. But I do like it loud with some material... esp. NIN and the like.

Don't worry... I don't do it that loud too often. But I do like it loud with some material... esp. NIN and the like.
Be careful, Justin. 5 years ago I had severe tinnitus for about 2 weeks and thought I would go mad. Fortunately it subsided to very low levels. However, when I am stressed out it gets a bit louder. It's not worth the risk to subject your ears to what essentially amounts to noise.

85-90 is good for me. sometimes less at night when the music is smoooooth
during the day I like to hear what I call the speaker to ear connection there is a sweet point when the ear is driven perfectly pleasant and the speakers are fully engaged but no more than that.

hearing damage is not something to fool around with it is real and permanent! when I go to local clubs or bars with loud music I put ear plugs in deep I just do not play around with it!

Last edited:
Be careful, Justin. 5 years ago I had severe tinnitus for about 2 weeks and thought I would go mad. Fortunately it subsided to very low levels. However, when I am stressed out it gets a bit louder. It's not worth the risk to subject your ears to what essentially amounts to noise.

Thanks for the concern, Bernard. But some of those NIN recordings sound absolutely fantastic at high levels. Noise? Definately not! Excellent? Absolutely! Engrossing? Completely!

I suppose having a good system makes it possible - and because it doesn't sound distorted at high levels, sometimes you don't realise just how loud it is until you leave the room...

Don't worry, though. My hearing is still pretty excellent. Well, I think so, anyway!

I really do not think that there is another speaker that shows of the electronic sound of NIN like a pair of electrostatic speakers I have watched friends with their mouths hanging open while I played some of there electrifying tracks at full volume !

80 to 85 db most of the time because I like to listen to the fine detail. Anything more than this and I get the "Honey, can you turn it down". Like I have a choice.

"Honey, can you turn it down". Like I have a choice.

Yes!! My readings were "Wife Out" readings. "Wife Home" readings are more along the lines of 80dB!

"Honey, can you turn it down" is very civilised though! With me, it's usually "TURN THAT BOOMING CRAP DOWN", "WE'VE GOT NEIGHBOURS YOU KNOW", "DID YOU KNOW THE WHOLE FLOOR IS SHAKING OR ARE YOU STUPID?".........OR TURN IT DOWN OR I'LL TOUCH YOUR SPEAKER" (that's the only one that works).

I really do not think that there is another speaker that shows of the electronic sound of NIN like a pair of electrostatic speakers I have watched friends with their mouths hanging open while I played some of there electrifying tracks at full volume !

Fish! Maximum respect! And very, very, very true. NIN loud + a good sub = hard to beat. Mr Reznor is undoubtedly a genius, but he is also very into good sounds, to say the least. Their stuff is just excellently produced. Some of it, especially The Fragile and offerings after it, is close to beyond reproach.

Other electronic music like New Order is generally extremely good too.

Latest posts

Back