What is this Memory Player?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I read and stumbled across this Memory Player.... what is it?

Also, am I right to assume that this is a player that stores the audio track into a memory buffer and then runs it through the DACs?

Stereo Times has a couple of articles published about it if you check out their archives. (couldn't get a link to the review)

www.stereotimes.com

Well, it's quite a bit more than a fancy music server. It is indeed a VERY fancy music server, but it's also a digital recorder that can archive any analog input at up to 32/215K (!!!!), or store up to 5000 cd's (upsampled as indicated) in the digital memory, or 1250 in the tubed DAC, it'll play all of your DVD's and Blue Ray discs, it will also record/burn DVD's.

The base unit starts out at $11.5K, or $18.5K if you want the tubed DAC. Each of the other options adds another $4.5K, so if you want one with everything I described above you'll pay about $32,000 for it.

I've listened to it at the past two RMAF's. They've made significant immprovements over the past two years. The first year I though it was an interesting concept. Last year they demonstrated it by taking one of my cd's and playing it as a conventional player while it recorded the music to the internal hard disc. It sound VERY good. Then they played the same track back from the internal hard drive. It still sounded good, but didn't have quite the same effect as listening to it off the transport section alone. Then they played it back from the solid state memory through the tubed DAC and I was FLOORED. It was easily in the class of the very most top flight digital I've ever heard, even besting the top end dCs and Esoteric gear I'd heard that same day.

They've continued to improve on the product build quality and aesthetics as well, the top photo here is the latest production version from their website, the lower one was the unit I listened to at last years RMAF.

It is a very impressive unit and if I had the coin I'd likely be in line for it myself.

Attachments

• Memplayer.jpg
    Memplayer.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 119
  • MemoryPlayer.jpg
    MemoryPlayer.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 118
Mitt, thanks for the feedback. You did not mention this in your RMAF report. Now I feel more comfortable that somebody from this forum actually heard it.

I actually ordered the MP with the tubed output stage and the video option. What the designer, Mark Porzilli, is actually doing for me is turn the MP into a Controller, with everything in one box. It's taking some time but I'm sure it will be one heck of a unit. I'm expecting it to be done sometime in August.

Geezuz.... a monster source..

No coin for this badboy from my pov. Too rich for my blood.

Glad we have a kababayan who's going to get his ears on a set though! :bowdown:

I will be interested to hear Rtagle's thoughts on this player.

Although sound is certainly of prime importance in a source (and from the reviews it appears this player is no slouch in that category) a music server must also have a great user interface. My impression of the Memory Player from what I have read is that they really haven't done a great job with the interface software. For the kind of coin they are charging for this product, that is simply inexcusable. I won't consider investing this kind of coin in any source unless it is exemplary in every aspect of its build and operation. The memory player may get there some day, but at this point I don't feel that it is quite ready for prime time, at least at the price they are asking.

Another aspect of it that I am disappointed in is the fact that you cannot get the tubed DAC and massive storage in the same unit. It doesn't make sense that they would design it this way. These days, a music server really needs at least a terabyte or more of internal storage, plus the ability to connect to external hard drive storage with a really fast connection. If the tubed DAC is going to interfere with that ability, it should be sold and shipped in a separate chassis, in my opinion.

I have to say I am also a little put off by their poor web page. Again, in this day and age, it is inexcusable to have such a poorly designed website. It is juvenile and calls into question the seriousness with which they take this product. I may very well be interested in one in a few years after they iron out the kinks, but at the price point they are charging there is some serious competition in the music server business.

Good point on the UI Rich - "clunky" was what immediately springs to mind when I saw it, but they may have made improvements in that area since last October as well.

I'll say this, another contender in this area that does have a very good user interface is the new Boulder 1021 disc player. While limited to redbook only, and only capable of playing 1 disc at a time (as opposed to being a music server), it operates in similar fashion to the Memory player in that the disc is read into an onboard computer, stored on a hard drive and read back through flash memory. I have listened to both players , but in very different systems. The Boulder warrants investigation if one were to consider a top flight CD playback solution.

Mitt, thanks for the feedback. You did not mention this in your RMAF report. Now I feel more comfortable that somebody from this forum actually heard it.

Didn't I, I could have sworn I did, but I'm getting old a feeble.

Buy either way, yes, it's an impressive piece of kit ,although with an annoying user interface. It may be easy to use to over time though, and they may have changed it in the unit you'll be receiving. I'll be looking forward to your impressions and descriptions as well once you get the feel of it.

I will be interested to hear Rtagle's thoughts on this player.

Another aspect of it that I am disappointed in is the fact that you cannot get the tubed DAC and massive storage in the same unit. It doesn't make sense that they would design it this way. These days, a music server really needs at least a terabyte or more of internal storage, plus the ability to connect to external hard drive storage with a really fast connection. If the tubed DAC is going to interfere with that ability, it should be sold and shipped in a separate chassis, in my opinion.

Thanks for bringing this up. I will inquire about this since mine has the video option and would need that massive storage unit. The only constraints in having the tubed DACs and the massive HD in the same unit is the physical space. I have requested a different case which is much bigger than the one they're currently using, like this one.... http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s21t.htm and I hope it will remedy the storage space problem.

Didn't I, I could have sworn I did, but I'm getting old a feeble.

Buy either way, yes, it's an impressive piece of kit ,although with an annoying user interface. It may be easy to use to over time though, and they may have changed it in the unit you'll be receiving. I'll be looking forward to your impressions and descriptions as well once you get the feel of it.

You did mention the MP but not about loading your own disc and playing it with the tubed DAC and I liked your reaction. I did not put much weight on the UI as most of those who bought and those that reviewed the MP did not mind putting up with it. In fact, most of the reviewers that made the comment bought the MP. It must then really sound awesome, I thought.

Back