What is the best wire for my system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Reaction score
I have 2 Summits, Stage, 4 Passages and Decent i along with Emotiva's XPA-5 and 2 XPA-1 (Monoblocks) using a UMC-1 preamp. I went to Magnolia HT and they told me the Audioquest Volcano is the best with ML Summits and Stage but when they told me the price I almost fell backwards. I want the best sound possible without putting me too much in dept (If I have to I'll go with Audioquest Volcanos if it's the best). I don't have any wires yet and wanted to ask you professionals for advice before purchasing any wires. I need interconnects and speaker wire and sub cable.

My summits and stage are only gonna be 3-4 feet away from components, the 4 passages are going to be in the ceiling about 25 feet away, and my sub's distance is between 12-15 feet away.

Thank you guys you input is valuble,

Steven

Wire...as you call it is such a personal thing, and emotional too ! you will get dozens of answers for sure !

But for the dollar value I will list a few of my favorites....

Signal cable

DH Labs (SilverSonic)

Blue Jeans cable

Zu cables

FWIW, the 'signal cable' speaker cables represent a excellent option given their low capacitence per ft rating (a good criteria with our Logans), with an affordable price !

Again, as other folks chime in you will get many more options, so good luck when your head starts to spin !...oh yeah one more thing... there is a cable company in Bristol, Pa (distributor actualy) that I believe allows demoing of cables....the 'Cable company' maybe ????

If you're REALLY on a budget for cables, look at Richard Speltz's "Anti-Cables". They have a surprisingly open sound in th emids and highs, and if you bi-wire, they can have a graceful authority in the bass too...

You can always go the "used" route. I lean heavily toward Nordost speaker cables--I think they sound better with ML speakers than any other brand. You can often pick up Nordost cables for less than half retail price on EBAY and Audiogon. You just need to watch, wait, and pounce when they come up...

If you ar handy with wire strippers, crimpers and solgering irons, you might even consider home-brewing your own cables. I've had varying degrees of success with this, and you'd be surprised at the sound quality you can get out of $50 worth of materials and a few hours of work.

--Richard

I can certainly vouch for Signal Cable in an enthusiast system but you're dealing with some pretty darn nice stuff and I would assume that they would much better reveal the differences across the brands.

I think that the general consensus is that you try and listen before you buy. I've experimented with Monster THX (don't laugh), Nordost Solar Winds and low-mid end Transparent at a pretty heft cost difference between all (and to me) My system is pretty much all Signal Cable now and haven't looked back. But then again, I'm more the enthusiast type of person on the list.

Do the best you can for the front row (mains, center, sub) and for the surrounds, Home Depot speaker wire may be a cost effective alternative. Even doing Signal for the surrounds can get costly.
good hunting!

There is no such thing as "best".

I would be very suspicious of any dealer stating "Product A" is best knowing how subjective the choice of wire is to many people. Way too many variables that only you can sort through so you can make an informed decision.

It's what sounds good to you within your budget.

Try Fatwyre (800.328.9973) if you want to audition before you buy. They have a very large "lending" stock in all price ranges. Same company Dave mentioned above.

Good luck.

GG

Steven,
I'm using Signal Cable Analog 2 interconnects (with Eichman bullets) from my preamp to amp, and Ultra 2 speaker wire for my mains. I use Blue Jeans Cable for most of my other cables such as digital coax, optical digital, video cables and such. I've been very happy with both. Quality and sound is excellent. You will get many people singing the praises for both these companies. It's a great place to start. Since you have no cables right now, I'm assuming you have no idea how your system is going to sound and have no basis for comparison, so I would be afraid to spend $$$ on cables right off the bat. Like was said before--no such thing as a "best" cable. The best is what sounds good to you given your electronics and setup.

Will Magnolia let you buy and try or are cables non-returnable?

BTW, I'm in Tucson too. Welcome to the club!

Brian

Oh, yeah, I forgot one thing for your rear and surrounds.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere similar and get a spool of 12ga low-voltage outdoor lighting wire. That stuff is SHOCKINGLY good wire for rears, and it is very inexpensive. I even know a few guys who use it for their mains (bi-wired and bi-amped) and it sounds as good as anything they've had in the under $1000/pair range, for about 1/20th the price.

Remember, your rear and side surrounds are really just there for "fill" sounds and motion cues for the most part. Unless you listen to a LOT of really highly-engineered multi-channel SACDs for music, the vast majority of the info coming out of your sides and rears is pretty low-level, low-resolution sound. If you put "budget" cables on those long runs to save a few dollars, and spend your big money on the cables for your front 3 speakers, you should be VERY happy. You'll have great sound, and you will have saved some money (that you can spend on other things like movies and music!)

--Richard

its just wire !

I use 10 gauge 99.99%pure whatever wire to all my martin Logans and it lays directly on the floor I Bought on the internet in a 500ft roll. the only reason I would upgrade is for aesthetics only. be careful some of the really expensive wires do not even state the gauge:(

***************you really want thick wire.****************

many will disagree with me but that's is fine as you can see I have A very reveling system and would never put any boutique foo foo wire on it unless someone gave it to me and it was as thick or thicker than what I already have

I hope this helps

Last edited:
its just wire !

I use 10 gauge 99.99%pure whatever wire to all my martin Logans and it lays directly on the floor I Bought on the internet in a 500ft roll. the only reason I would upgrade is for aesthetics only. be careful some of the really expensive wires do not even state the gauge:(

many will disagree with me but that's is fine as you can see I have A very reveling system and would never put any boutique foo foo wire on it unless someone gave it to me and it was as thick or thicker than what I already have

I hope this helps

:devil:
So Fishman - you have listened to the boutique cables and felt they did not improve the sound of your system?

(Flame suit on)

So Fishman - you have listened to the boutique cables and felt they did not improve the sound of your system?(Flame suit on)
I wish some of the more expensive cables I love "DID NOT" sound better to me, then I could just use some bulk or Rad Shack stuff. :D

There is SO much cable marketing BS out there, one has to concentrate on a just a couple of things when it comes to cables: 1. Do you hear a difference; 2. How much are you willing to spend; 3. Audition as many cables as you can in your price range and pick out the ones you like best.

I am in the cables make a difference camp and I use higher cost cables in my setup and love the difference they all made (and I have heard a lot of cables). Remember higher cost does always not equate to better sound.

Hi Steven,

I assume you going to use the monos on the Summit? There is a thread going on now at the Emotiva site about the difficulties of hooking up the monos with a "standard" set of speaker cable. It boils down to the + & - are about 13 inches apart. A standard speaker wire with pants only spreads to about 3-5 inches, making it impossible to use a regular set of wires. You will need a "custom" set made, which probably can be done by Frank at Signal Cables. I'm waiting on a full set of wires from him which should be here Friday. I'd be leary of buying an off the shelf model since they will not work on the monos without chopping them up.

Gordon

its just wire !

I hope this helps

Where is Ethan now?:ROFL:

So Fishman - you have listened to the boutique cables and felt they did not improve the sound of your system?

(Flame suit on)

Here we go !:rolleyes:

I wish some of the more expensive cables I love "DID NOT" sound better to me, then I could just use some bulk or Rad Shack stuff. :D

There is SO much cable marketing BS out there, one has to concentrate on a just a couple of things when it comes to cables: 1. Do you hear a difference; 2. How much are you willing to spend; 3. Audition as many cables as you can in your price range and pick out the ones you like best.

I am in the cables make a difference camp and I use higher cost cables in my setup and love the difference they all made (and I have heard a lot of cables). Remember higher cost does always not equate to better sound.

So true ! I am a believer in cables do make a difference camp too. But your last sentence sums it up perfectly !

So true ! I am a believer in cables do make a difference camp too. But your last sentence sums it up perfectly !
Thanks.

But all here have to remember, if you cannot hear a difference between cables then no need to proceed on to items #2 and #3 in my post above. You can then use the red/white connector IC's that come with components and the stock power cords, sit back and enjoy your music.

You can then use the red/white connector IC's that come with components and the stock power cords, sit back and enjoy your music.

Thank the good Lord my 'BoomBox' has internal wiring !!

Latest posts

Back