Wayback machine time.... CD Saturday Night

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Hey everybody
Back in the early 80s, one of the L.A. radio stations (KMET or KLOS.. forget which) had a very early CD player, and they did a show called CD Saturday Night, partly because of the limited selection of CDs, and probably the high prices of both the players and the discs themselves. Us kids got a real kick out of that show.... quite often the DJ would start a song, and after a short time the music would break up, followed by a loud dit dit dit POP!! Hisssssssss.... then the DJ would come on and say "Okay, I'm glad we have an LP backup for that one!":eek: Needless to say we weren't endeared to the new format.... it took a couple of years and a few classmates and neighbors getting Sony D5 CD Walkmans before CDs were more acceptable, and umm, more reliable players!
I wonder if other radio stations did a similar program back in the day?

Last edited:
CBC radio 2 (or CBC-FM back in the day) started a show called "disc drive" which was the afternoon drive home show with Jurgen Goeth. the premise was to highlight these new shiny silver disks.

2 weeks ago it ended after 25 years on the air.

CBC radio 2 (or CBC-FM back in the day) started a show called "disc drive" which was the afternoon drive home show with Jurgen Goeth. the premise was to highlight these new shiny silver disks.
2 weeks ago it ended after 25 years on the air.
Wow... that was a long run! CD Saturday Night didn't last very long at all.... as soon as the players were more reliable, seems like the show was dropped, maybe around '84.

Hey everybody
Back in the early 80s, one of the L.A. radio stations (KMET or KLOS.. forget which) had a very early CD player, and they did a show called CD Saturday Night, partly because of the limited selection of CDs, and probably the high prices of both the players and the discs themselves. Us kids got a real kick out of that show.... quite often the DJ would start a song, and after a short time the music would break up, followed by a loud dit dit dit POP!! Hisssssssss.... then the DJ would come on and say "Okay, I'm glad we have an LP backup for that one!":eek: Needless to say we weren't endeared to the new format.... it took a couple of years and a few classmates and neighbors getting Sony D5 CD Walkmans before CDs were more acceptable, and umm, more reliable players!
I wonder if other radio stations did a similar program back in the day?

I used to listen to both of them here in So Cal. KMET 94.7 and KLOS 95.5 FM. I think it was KLOS. Uncle Joe Benson and Jim Ladd along with J.J. Jackson. KGO 101.5 in San Diego was the most progressive of all. Dang I'm old.

Back