wall behind Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I presently have curtians along the whole wall behind the Summits becasue i have a 108" wall mounted screen that i use during movies the curtains cover it when not in use. reason i did this is beasue i get a lot of echoing when the the screen is exposed. with them closed i feel it might be to much and it closes in the sound a little. any suggestions? thanks

curtain

Really! there is no one that has a comment on wether or not this is over kill or its a good idea or a bad one. what are you using? give me some ideas or is this ok?

Your first post is a bit hard to parse, so let's see if I can rephrase the question:

You added a curtain that covers your entire front wall that is closed when listening to music, but open when watching movies, as you have a screen behind it.

Prior to the curtain, you experienced a lot of echoes with just the screen and the bare walls, right?

Now, you are concerned that listening with the curtains closed, you might have too much absorption on that wall and 'closing in the sound'.

If I got that right, then here is my feedback:
Adding dampening of the high-frequencies (which is all that curtain does) on the front wall will indeed shift the soundstage and tonal balance of the system, but often times, it's a good thing, as depending on your room surfaces and treatments, that reduction in high frequencies from the rear waves let's you enjoy the direct sound much more.
The challenge is that since you only absorb the HF, the tonal balance can tilt towards a 'chestier' sound as the mid-bass and mid-range is more apparent. This can be addressed by adding something like a pair of Realtraps minitraps HF behind the curtain just behind each of your Summits. Their absorption of energy down to the 250Hz region will balance out the tilt caused by the curtain.

Now, the difference you hear with the curtains open vs closed is just the nature of the beast. With them open, you are letting the screen and the wall behind it 'reflect' any energy that hits them.

BTW- that's one reason why I have strong preference for Acoustically transparent screens, not only can one place the center channel directly behind it where it truly belongs, one can also treat the front wall with absorption as it's behind the screen.

Hope that helps.

How far away are your speakers from the front wall?

Moving your speakers away from the back wall, and closer to your listening position, can minimize imaging and transient and frequency response woes. The objective here is to ensure that the rear radiated waveform is delayed such that it doesn't interfere with the front radiated waveform. The so called precedence effect.

Jonfo: thank you very much for your reply that was the answer I was looking for. You hit it right on the head!

Pneumonic: my speakers are 50" front the front wall and 24" from the side walls and 7' apart

Back