Visit to Overture (Lewes) and JL audio Fathom

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score

I was in DE last weekend for a beach visit. While there, I had some free time and decided to visit Overture's sister store in Lewes. This store doesn't carry all of the mega high end gear that the mother ship (Wilmington) is famous for, but they had some decent stuff:

Mac amps
ML Vista
B&W (not sure which model, but I think it was their high end line)
Rotel
Classe

This store sells a lot of HT set ups, custom lighting, projection systems, etc. They had a lot neat stuff. I really like the 'life style' room which was outfitted with Triad in-wall speakers and Mac amps. It actually sounded quite good.

They did have another room that had some Vistas with Rotel gear (processor, CD and DVD player, as well as a Rotel multichannel amp). Along with the Vistas was a depth i and a JL audio sub.

We watched a little bit of Ice Age and I must say I was very impressed with Fathom (JL sub). Apparently this sub as a special feature where you can plug a microphone and place it near the listening position and it makes some internal adjustments for you. Now, I am probably more in favor of the Velodyne (SMS?) where the adjustments are shown visually on the TV/laptop screen. You can actually make the adjustments as you see fit; I don't think the JL system allows this sort of tinkering.

I thought the bass was very tight and solid. He did have the sub cranked for the movie, but he turned it down a bit when I listened to U2 and Eva Cassidy. It's a very musical sub - the kind of sub that has the ability to disappear between the speakers.

We were only there for an hour and I didn't do any extensive comparisons between the ML and JL subs, but this sub warrants some more serious listening I think. Like all companies, they offer the sub in various sizes. Their biggest one has dual 13" woofers and the cabinent is like 3 ft tall - it's huge!

As usual I had a great time at this store. It's always a treat going to Overture!

Erik

I believe there are a few of us using JL Fathom's on this forum. Some of us use two of them in our room (like me). They are simply the best subs in the world hands down. I am sorry Velodyne owners but they are not close and yes I have had Velodyne in my house as well. The big Rel is also a very amazing subwoofer and I would put above the Fathom but not above two of them.

When I was talking to the sales rep, he said when they first came in, the manager bought 2 right away for his setup at home.

They are really sweet sounding (and great looking) subs. I would love to hear the big model that JL makes. That thing's gotta rock!

yea, I have a f113. I was prolly the first forum member here to get one. Easily the best sub I auditioned.

The mic thing you speak of is called ARO, and just basicallly tames the most offensive peak. Helpful, yes, but nothing close to the abilities of SMS-1 (I've still wanted one for way too long...)

The big sub you speak of is the Gotham. I believe that people typically recommend 2 F113s over 1 Gotham for placement (response) flexibility. OTOH, the Gotham might have a bit of something over colocated/stacked F113s, IIRC.

Its been a while since I've been to a high-end store. Maybe that's a good thing!!! God knows AV forums do enough "damage" as it is !! :p

Heh, I've been scanning A-gon daily for a gently used, locally sold F112 for my MBR setup. No joy so far.:(

Another happy Fathom owner

Hey, I blame Diamonds and jk319.:D I was hesitant until I read their posts and jumped in and bought two. I've always wanted dual subs in my dedicated room and had read about the benefits and I'm now totally convinced. Oh and by the way I owned a REL Stentor III which is a great sub especially for music, but the JL just does everything it does a little bit better and with more authority. The calibrating and adjustments available on the sub really help. It eliminated the slight mid to higher forties bump my room had with the REL.

Back