Use of fireplaces around Vistas

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Diddy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Still learning and enjoying the Vistas and MLT2 surround. I actually have a Motif center on it's way...really noticed the center channel not keeping up. I have NOT told the wife about the Motif yet! I'll buy a RUSH surround CD, hook it up, push play and she should be happy. :cool: I do have a question, I have one of the Vistas about 2 feet wide and about a foot and a half in front of the fireplace. I have a fire going...first of the year...besides the fact that there may be smoke, what are my concerns? I live in Phoenix, AZ so I only have a very few fires each year. Just happens to be "cold" and rainy outside. Not that I would ever get a totally raging fire, but is there a heat threshold? Would hate to melt them...They do sound AWESOME! Much to learn...lurking and reading...
Be cool,
T.

I remember asking myself the same question so I bought a cheap thermometer/hygrometer and placed it beside the speaker panel (i.e. the one that gets the greatest radiance) in line of sight of the fire.
Was surprised to find the temperature didn't exceed 22 degrees C.
I check the hygrometer regularly to see whether I need to use the dehumidifier. A very sound purchase. :)
Cheers.....
Victor

T,

When I had my Summits, where the right speaker was three feet or so away from my gas fireplace, I bought some heat tempered glass to deflect the heat away from the panel.

GG

I agree with Gordon, if you can't move the speaker then defect the heat !

I would think the heat wouldn't make so much of a difference as the smoke particles that would get left on the panels?

Either way, it would be difficult to deflect the smoke from reaching the panels. Then again, I don't have much experience with fireplace so maybe they do a good jub in sucking the smoke up and out the chimney. I just know that when using my wood/coal stove we had in our basement to heat up the house I use to live in we could smell the smoke.

Thanks everyone...I kept checking with my hands and the speaker never felt even warm...so I think I should be ok...not a lot of smoke ever comes out...I was just figuring some does, even if I can't see it. I'll be careful to clean regularly, and again, very few fires. Thank you for the responses...I love listening to Zebra on Vinyl!

T.

Maybe keep them covered when the fireplace is in use? If you don't have covers, then you can use large rubbish bags. Keep them covered until all the smoke has cleared.

Thanks...I have the covers that came with them...I was thinking about that...There really is no noticeable smoke, I just know it has to be there...but is there any problem using the covers while they are plugged in? I have wondered that, since they are always kind of on and trying to move air...I just kind of thought that that might be a bad thing? And I will be jamming out if there is a fire going! :) So they couldn't be covered then...but maybe when I close for the night.
Thanks,
T.

Dont know how your fireplace is working but a fireplace, but even a closed one can emit black residue, soot, you often see it on the wall behind the fireplace, take a cloth and wipe the wall and the cloth will be black. If you have windows in this room you will clearly see it on the windows also. This residue will get on the panels and its impossible to remove, except for when you wash the panels.

Thank you Nielson...I know it is not optimal to have them near a fireplace, but I have no choice...I have a small house and a wife who gets cold and likes fires. :) But we might have on best 10 fires a year. I actually just took some pics so you can see where I am at...It is VERY sloppy but I am still waiting for components and am very far from knowing my placement. So I will start a new thread.

Why not place the covers over them when the fire is on and just use those smaller speakers? (the ones i saw in your thread with the pictures)

Thanks Peter...I had not even thought about that...but it makes sense...one question...would I need to or should I unplug the Vistas if I cover them up? I know that the MLs are always kind of "on"...I don't know if covering them while they are plugged in could be bad...And for the most part we like to listen to music when we have a fire...not always, but mostly, so I would want the Vistas playing.

The older ML speakers would be on all the time. The newer ones like yours are on standby until it senses a signal going into them. So I don't believe it would be an issue with having them unplugged..."probably" even if they were on all the time.

But as you have read from many replies, it's easy to conclude that the life expenctancy of your speaker will certainly decrease the more you have them uncovered while the fire is on. There's no way around that.

Back