Tube recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had used Jim McShane in the past also.
I have used Viva and had a problem. They replaced the tube for me.
Recently I have been using Kevin at Upscale Audio with good results.

G'day mate,
KT88's aren't hard to find, and there are several makes. Genalex Gold Lion, Tung Sol, SED (Svetlana Electron Devices), EH, Ei, WE, GE, a few German makes, some Chinese makes from PSvane and a host of others. They all have a different flavour, so it's like asking someone what cake they like.

Those first three I've mentioned, are the ones I've used in various types of tube gear that I've owned: Manley Labs, ARC, VTL, Sonic Frontiers, Quad, Melos, Jadis and CJ (conrad johnson is what I now use exclusively for the full pre-power set-up).

In the past, it was quite easy ordering directly from your tube amp supplier. Since they're the ones who made your amplifier, they'll generally go through a full testing, matching and burn-in process to ensure your amp is getting the best tubes. Afterall, it's their product and they have a reputation to hold.

However, this direct order and supply chain became quite expensive thanks to the useless war in Ukraine and the silly nonsense V Putin is upto... and now tensions in the middle east. As a result tube suppliers have jacked up prices and on certain types there are shortages. Over here (Aus) prices are through the roof! So I had to venture off slowly towards other suppliers but still keeping CJ HQ as my main source.

These ones have been really good so far:
1. If you're based in the US- Upscale Audio Kevin Deal will do a good deal.
2. Watford Valves UK- Derreck's service is tops!
3. Tube Store and Tube Depot are ok, have had a few failures but that wasn't their fault, just a lousy batch.
4. The Valve Store- based in Aus Melbourne, this is my main place, Neil. Great chap but quite pricey.
5. CJ HQ direct- placed them last since they're the most expensive of the lot but they know their stuff and never had a problem. I guess that's the price we have to pay if you want reliable tooobs.

With tube gear, the thing is there are no short cuts. If you're after cheapo tooobs then they're probably not going to last too long. OTOH some vendors supply high pricing but that doesn't mean their stock is going to outlast the less expensive ones. Just stick with the supplier who is willing to back you up. Should be easy to deal with and someone you can trust. Once you've identified this supplier, you'll be a customer for life!
It's like finding the right barber or doctor... too many quacks out there.

Just my 50cts worth.
Cheers, RJ

G'day mate,
KT88's aren't hard to find, and there are several makes. Genalex Gold Lion, Tung Sol, SED (Svetlana Electron Devices), EH, Ei, WE, GE, a few German makes, some Chinese makes from PSvane and a host of others. They all have a different flavour, so it's like asking someone what cake they like.

Those first three I've mentioned, are the ones I've used in various types of tube gear that I've owned: Manley Labs, ARC, VTL, Sonic Frontiers, Quad, Melos, Jadis and CJ (conrad johnson is what I now use exclusively for the full pre-power set-up).

In the past, it was quite easy ordering directly from your tube amp supplier. Since they're the ones who made your amplifier, they'll generally go through a full testing, matching and burn-in process to ensure your amp is getting the best tubes. Afterall, it's their product and they have a reputation to hold.

However, this direct order and supply chain became quite expensive thanks to the useless war in Ukraine and the silly nonsense V Putin is upto... and now tensions in the middle east. As a result tube suppliers have jacked up prices and on certain types there are shortages. Over here (Aus) prices are through the roof! So I had to venture off slowly towards other suppliers but still keeping CJ HQ as my main source.

These ones have been really good so far:
1. If you're based in the US- Upscale Audio Kevin Deal will do a good deal.
2. Watford Valves UK- Derreck's service is tops!
3. Tube Store and Tube Depot are ok, have had a few failures but that wasn't their fault, just a lousy batch.
4. The Valve Store- based in Aus Melbourne, this is my main place, Neil. Great chap but quite pricey.
5. CJ HQ direct- placed them last since they're the most expensive of the lot but they know their stuff and never had a problem. I guess that's the price we have to pay if you want reliable tooobs.

With tube gear, the thing is there are no short cuts. If you're after cheapo tooobs then they're probably not going to last too long. OTOH some vendors supply high pricing but that doesn't mean their stock is going to outlast the less expensive ones. Just stick with the supplier who is willing to back you up. Should be easy to deal with and someone you can trust. Once you've identified this supplier, you'll be a customer for life!
It's like finding the right barber or doctor... too many quacks out there.

Just my 50cts worth.
Cheers, RJ
thanks, Im in the states, and will consider your thoughts

Back