Trying to find the right CD/DVD player???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
Is there a good quality five changer CD/DVD player on the market. I have limited shelving space left in my audio stand, and I mostly want it for CDs so audio would be a priority. Not interested in BlueRay, but a good componet video connection is all I want. Is there such a beast?? Thanks for any suggestions!! I do have a second need, to buy some 1meter RCA connects, all they have here is monster, so I bought a pair of $50 and the plug in was so hard to get in, returned them, I would need to use pliers to get them seated. This could damage my components. I feel I will have to mail order the right ones!

Is there a good quality five changer CD/DVD player on the market.

While running the risk of sounding like an audio snob, I think those terms are mutually exclusive. Most "changer" type players sell for very reasonable money, but to be honest, the money the manufacturer puts into the tranport mechanism has to dilute virtually all other aspects of performance in order to achieve the target price point. I believe you would be better off finding a good "universal" player that may only give you single play options, but will sound and look better overall. There are a miriad of possibilities at all price points from the very well reviewed Oppo players at some astonishing prices to mid level offerings from Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer, NAD etc, all the way up to the big boys from Cary, Lexicon, McCormack, Esoteric, etc.

If you really need long periods of continuous music I'd say buy a tuner or hook your iPod up to the system, or look into a Squeezebox, but don't put your money into a multi disc changer that I predict you'll eventually end up replacing because it doesn't measure up.

The best multi-disc player I'm aware of is the Sony 555ES SACD Player. It has a 5 disc tray and doesn't play DVDs but it does a good job with SACDs and Redbooks. It was discontinued nearly 5 years ago but used ones show up on Audiogon at very reasonable prices.

As far as being a snob:confused:Never thought of myself like that, but others can tell better. Thanks for your answers, I kind of felt a one disk player is what it will have to be. I did turn down a Arcam $3,500 CD/DVD player Single disk, suppose to have improved qualities at the music end. I was fortunate to have it for two days to decide if I want it. I do not mind a high price tag if it delivers. So if it took me two days and I still was not sure, it is way too expensive. May look into Denon.

As far as being a snob:confused:Never thought of myself like that.

No, I meant myself sounding like a snob because I don't think you can find a really "GOOD" changer. I really prefer to keep things simple, and I tend to have expensive tastes.

I think Denon makes some very good players for the price. Look into Oppo though too. Dan (DTB300) will tell you to go buy one of the modified players and reap some significant sonic benefits.

If you were going to spend somewhere in that $3500 neighborhood I'd advise you to go find a used Esoteric on AudioGon...

Thanks "Tim", If you are a snob, then I want to join the club!:rocker: I just checked out Crutchfield, and they have a Denon, DVM-2845CI that has everything I wanted, right down to five disk and component video. Only $500. Now I can take the wife out to dinner with the left over change! Just kidding she just bought a Toyota Highlander. This a great site with a bunch of smart and high end knowlegeable people. Have you checked out the political thread yet? WOW! Just got my ML tee-shirts today, people are asking what ML stands for I tell them thats the collage I graduated from!lol

Latest posts

Back