To sub or not to sub, that is the question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out whether it would be better to add a sub to my Summits. I tried using one or two ACI Titans with the Summits, and I wasn't altogether pleased with the results. The Titans are quite good subs--not at all boomy, so that isn't the issue. Still, it seemed like I was constantly adjusting them. There was no problem getting enough bass, but then I'd change the source and all of a sudden I needed to cut the bass drastically. I finally gave up on the combination because I just couldn't seem to find a setting that worked consistently with the Summits. (The Titans have worked well with Maggies and some other speakers, but they were supplying a much higher percentage of the total bass in each of those systems.)

I use the Summits exclusively for music (no need to recreate explosions, in other words), and most of the time their bass is sufficient, but once in a while I miss the gut-churning authority I had in my earlier setup. I am wondering how much more successful I might be in mating them with either a Depth i or a Descent i. Have others of you tried either combination and, if so, what did you think? I am willing to try to leave well enough alone if that really is the best approach!

I had an ACI sub for a while and it worked great with my ACI Sapphire XL's but I felt it was too slow for the ML's.

When I had Summits, I was running them full range and had the crossover of the Descent set to 35hz. It was just bringing up the VERY bottom of the range and most of the time you didn't hear it, but when listening to big orchestral music, some electronic music, etc., I really liked the extra weight it brought to the system.

We had it set up well enough that I never felt like I could "hear" the sub and thought the integration was excellent.

Hazmat suit on!

Sub intergration is a tough call. I just went and dumped my sub and demoed a DepthI with my CLS , I have repositioned my CLS and with room gain I am getting good bass to 40hz I will be doing a room EQ real soon to see what I have . Yes I am not listening to Telarcs 1812 but the bass I am getting is real and where it should be. I found the same thing with volume differences on recordings. Sometimes the sub would emphasis the lower bass. Its even harder with the Summits as you have 4 woofers already your fighting phase issues with . Its hard for me to say but I think two channel will be sans sub for me from now on. If I want big bass I go upstairs to my HT room.

Jeff, did you use one or two descents?

I was using one descent with the Summits. When harvey gilbert from ML came over we had originally discussed a pair, but after careful setup we both came to the conclusion that I didn't need two.

But with the CLX, because they don't go down as far, I feel two subs are a must.

Thanks. I am not in the best position to shell out big bucks for a Descent i, but I might well change my mind if I come across a good deal. 'Just sorry that I didn't think to pursue this when Tweeter went under. I could have gotten one then for 50% off or better. 'Guess I can't complain. I certain did well by them with the Summits and the Stage.

Do you think the difference between the Descent and the Descent i is significant? (I know Descents are several hundred dollars cheaper on the used market.) For that matter, given the limited amount I want this sub to do, do you think the Depth i would be sufficient? I haven't had the chance to hear any of the ML subs in use, so it is difficult for me to make judgments about their relative competence and value.

I run a sub with Vistas (not the same as Summits, I know) but like Jeff, I have it set very low, and use a Behringer DSP1124P to manage it. You can't hear it, but when it's not on it sounds like there is something missing.

You can't hear it, but when it's not on it sounds like there is something missing.

I believe this IS the key for succesfull sub integration, not hearing IT, yet be able to hear IT'S presence within the lower one or two octaves.

Simply put, if you close your eyes and can pinpoint the location, then your integration needs further tweaking.

Yes, I firmly believe in a good sub for my system.

Any thoughts on comparing the Depth i to the Descent i? My room is not particularly large, and I wonder if it might be the right compromise ($$$ and WAF) to go with the Depth instead.

Shakin' the foundations

Okay, I finally took the plunge and ordered a Descent i to use with my Summits. I figure it might be gross overkill, but, hey, that's pretty much the norm in this hobby! ("You spent what on that piece of wire?!!!" :eek:) Anyway, I should have it in a week or so.

If any of you are also running this combination (Summit pair + single Descent i), I'd be very interested in hearing about your conclusions regarding the sub's placement and settings. Obviously, this will vary from room to room, but it would be useful to learn from your experience. Thanks to those who have already commented above.

-- Craig

fascinated to hear the qualitative differences you notice. I may add Descent i to my Spires! Any thoughts anyone ... Jeff for example

Latest posts

Back