Thinking of upgrading to ML Focus ESL C18 - help?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bweinstock

Reaction score
So, I'm currently using a Marantz 8805 + Krell Chorus 5200 to power my Martin Logans. I have Ethos as mains, Motif X as center, and Motion 40 as rears. I can get a great deal on the newer ESL C18 - just curious if you guys think this would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade? I know not many people have this speaker, and honestly, I don't really look into specs much in regards to speakers...I just listen to them. But I can't get a demo of this anywhere, so I'm hoping somebody can help. Thanks!

I went from motif -> focus and it was night and day. It has the presence of a full panel speaker, I was shocked by new width, clarity, and seamless blending of soundstage. I didn’t think I needed a new center and picked it up on audiogon when the chance arose. The panel area, woofers, and total speaker size difference is very apparent. I think you will be very happy. 3412CB18-CCAF-4E27-BE11-FD8F4014DD9C.jpg

When it comes to center speakers, the old adage of 'Bigger is better' sure applies.

I'd go for it, especially if you have a good deal on a Focus C18.

Since you have a nice pre-amp (I have the 8802A), and likely use Audyssey, please re-run the calibration once you swap out the center; you can follow some of the suggestions in my thread with tips on calibrating.

What % of the time is your setup used for Home Theater (or surround music) vs. stereo?

Yes I updated about a year ago from the Stage X to the Focus when they first came out. That was a big jump can only image moving from the Montif X the jump had to be huge. I like it a lot have it attached to the wall and selected the rear switch also. Its quite huge compared to the old but the design just seems more modern looking and also impressively heavy. Never did get the concave panel of the Stage X anyway. Also did a Sbooster for the power and found that to help also. I see Sbooster has updated since I purchased so it maybe even a bigger impact who knows. The new Focus had the same small wall wart as the Stage X seemed pretty wimpy. Probably is adequate but not ideal in my opinion.

I did it!

Well, I did it - got a really good deal on the C18 brand new...I couldn't pass it up. Especially after reading all your comments about the difference. I really appreciate all the input. Now to sell my Motif X! LOL

I went from motif -> focus and it was night and day. It has the presence of a full panel speaker, I was shocked by new width, clarity, and seamless blending of soundstage. I didn’t think I needed a new center and picked it up on audiogon when the chance arose. The panel area, woofers, and total speaker size difference is very apparent. I think you will be very happy.View attachment 19867

that size difference is crazy!

Well, I did it - got a really good deal on the C18 brand new...I couldn't pass it up. Especially after reading all your comments about the difference. I really appreciate all the input. Now to sell my Motif X! LOL

Congrats, now how about pics of the new setup when it's installed.

Back