The People

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a somewhat distorted / speculative perspective, I wonder how this country would have reacted if the stimulus funding did not occur and we were now in the second great depression?

And I suppose there are those who would say that the stimulus funding did not prevent such an occurrence. I, for one, have heard a sufficient amount of evidence to indicate this would not have been the case.

It's also interesting that Federal intervention appears to have saved the USA auto industry and the government will get all the money back plus some.

And regarding health care, the OBM has projected that, in the end, the health care reform bill will end up saving taxpayers dollars.

Oh well, my 2 cents.

GG

I hope the auto industry gets it's feet back on the ground. There is a large part of our economy and jobs that depending upon it. GM is by no means out of the hole yet. When the bailout was done, there was either very little or no restructuring of the union contracts. I think I read a couple of weeks ago where the pension plans are underfunded by around $25 billion. They are using some profits to pay into reducing the debt, but that is less money they have for hiring, expanding, development or research. I think Ford and Chrysler is in the same position as well, just not by as much. With twice as many retirees as current employees, GM doesn't stand much of a chance to restructure the pensions if things don't improve. So another bailout debate could potentially be in the future. For health care, I don't think anyone has a clue as to how the reform bill will eventually effect premiums. Pelosi said the bill had to be passed to figure out what's in it, but even after passing there is plenty of sorting and figuring to do. With a number of the plans provisions not taking place until 2014, it's going to be quite awhile until the verdict is out. Just using commonsense, how do you reduce premiums by adding to the rolls of the insured whose premiums are paid by taxpayers, cover people with prexisting conditions (would be nice if people along the coast could purchase home insurance right before a hurricane), and not having the ability to cap payouts or produce nonrenewals, and not to mention the added government jobs for overseeing all the new regulations? Looking at every other government program ever started and realizing that costs went way above the original predictions doesn't say much either. One can debate wether the increases are worth it, but I would bet that premiums will rise above normal before all is said and done.

Back