System #447 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTUS

Reaction score
Name - Dan

Location - Spring, Texas

CLXs purchased Feb 2011

No mods/changes to MLs

7.1 System:
Front - ML CLXs driven by Sanders Magtech monoblocks with Sanders speaker cables
Center - ML Stage driven by Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblock with Sanders speaker cables
JL Audio f112 subwoofer
Surrounds are Definitive Tech BVPX driven by Rotel 1077
PreAmp NAD T-175HD
Morrow MA3 interconnects
OPPO BDP-95
Sharp LED LC-80LE844U

Previously owned Summit Xs and fell hard for ML sound. CLX's are my system anchor pts and plan to upgrade around them going forward. Next upgrade most likely OPPO BDP-95 and Sanders Magtech mono blocks. Only use center and surrounds for movies.

Room is 16' x 30'

Attachments

• DSC_5233.jpg
    DSC_5233.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,412
Last edited:
Welcome aboard Dan.....I think you have a nice looking system....tough to tell though, looks like your picture was taken through wax paper !

Welcome Dan, that is a great journey you've started on there. If you go the way of the Magtechs I can tell you from experience that the MOON P7 pre is a very good match with the amp.

:welcome: aboard Dan

Looks like you use the room to also do some jamming in. Do you have any room treatments yet?

Thanks all for the warm welcome and apologies for my delayed response; it was a crazy work week. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics... took these tonight with my Nikon with and without flash. My wife is the photographer in the family... I'm camera challenged.

Jonfo - yes I do play guitar and the room doubles as my practice room. As much as I love listening to music I enjoy playing more. No room treatments yet but maybe someday I'll lose some the guitar posters and put up some treatments. The good news is I have much room for improvement here in my ManCave starting with a better cabinet layout to give the CLX's more breathing room. :cool:

thazeldean - love the vintage Penthouse reference... good times.

Attachments

• DSC_5244.jpg
    DSC_5244.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,179
  • DSC_5246.jpg
    DSC_5246.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,157
Very nice, must be a joy :music:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks MPS... it is a joy but you know the voices in my head are always saying... if I just added ______ it would be SO much better. JonFo's got me thinking about those treatments now....;)

Should have enhanced the last picture before posting.. here's rev 2.

Attachments

• DSC_5246.jpg
    DSC_5246.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,107
Hi Dan,

Love the Beatles posters. Are you a big fan? I still have their box set on vinyl which has hardly been played and sounds great. The memories, I guess that is all we have as we get older.

How do you find the CLX's? they are the same finish as mine and I love mine. I am using the Bob Carver amps and the system is a joy to listen to now, I have even tried some tube rolling on reading the article from Dick Olsher and it has made the sound even cleaner.

Anyway great system and I hope you get years of pleasure from it.
Tony

Thanks for the kind words Tony. I bought my first Beatles album when I was 5 and have loved them ever since. My musical tastes are all over the map from jazz to metal to opera but the Beatles were the first to make the hair on the back of my neck stand-up and you never forget your first love. I LOVE my CLX's... absolutely NO REGRETS there at all. They deliver that WOW moment every single listening session.

For now, whenever I want that wonderful warm tube sound... I plug in my Gibson SG or my PRS Hollowbody II, crank up my Marshall JVM410H thru my Mesa Boogie Road King Cabinet and rock out. Maybe one day I'll make the tube transition with the CLXs but I play them pretty loud... especially watching concert Blurays. Honestly, I could still use more amps out of my SX-1000s. The CLXs are thirsty creatures.

Lucky you living in Queensland... that's gotta be one beautiful place. Need to make it up that way next time I'm down under visiting my sister down in Narrabeen, NSW. I haven't seen that part of Australia yet and I really want to dive the Great Barrier Reef. That place just looks off the charts gorgeous. Best to you.

Hi Dan,

If you make it over here give me a call. I would love to show you around. You are right it is a great part of the world and we probably don't fully appreciate it. It always seems that when you live somewhere you tend to take it for granted. I am glad you are happy with the CLX's, I keep trying to maximise the sound from mine. Over last weekend I put them onto a rug and spiked them. This has made a small positive difference and now i will work on levelling and optimising the sound. You are right about them being thirsty, the Black Beauties have 300 Watts on tap and I think sometimes it is needed.

I also grew up with the Beatles, Elanor Rigby being my first memory of their sound. As I grew up I became addicted to Led Zeppelin and I still listen to them often. My taste in music is also wide and varied but as I grow older I find that I prefer more sublime music. I don't listen to much heavy metal any more preferring to listen to other genres.

Sorry this reply is a bit all over the place. I can help with getting to the reef having several friends with boats. I also dive when I find time and am going to Airlie Beach in October for some R and R. I am also going fishing which spoils you for anywhere else as the fish you catch from the reef are worth catching and are generally great eating.

Back