System #438 (Source)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
Member Name: Tristan L

2. Location: Wausau, WI

3. ML Model(s): Source!

4. Year Purchased: 2012

5. Mods/Changes: Just room treatments!

6. Associated Electronics: Integra 9.8 Processor, Emotiva XPA-5, Monoprice interconnects and speaker cable, Panamax conditioner

7. Other Speakers: Polks CS2 Center Channel (hoping to buy a Motif in the future), Definitive Technology BP2X surrounds and Definitive Technology 10" powered subwoofer.

I have a lot of fun building acoustic panels and bass traps. I was able to obtain burlap coffee bags from my local roaster to upholster the panels on the back walls and side walls. The funnest pieces to make were the corner traps. I used 1X2s that I cut to eighteen inches in length, mitered the ends and built equilateral triangles. They are suspended with picture wire, springs and i-bolts.

Before I treated the room the sound was really good. Now I'm absolutely stunned by the sound! I get lost for hours listening to music down here!

Here is the full gallery of my theater room on Picasa:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100072877654569853632/HomeTheater2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpg
    IMG_7363.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 326
Beautiful setup. It's very clean and neat. The hardwood floor looks great and compliments the dark electronics. Have you experimented with moving the speakers out a little? I found that sometimes electrostats don't like being too close to the back wall. Also, I used to use monoprice cables. I was a non-believer in "cables make a significant difference." I upgraded to some better cables and the sound change was quite dramatic. You may want to experiment. I also commend you on the room's sound treatments. I think this also makes a big difference. It seems like you have a lot of hard surfaces so the system may sound "bright", I bet the sound treatments really help with getting the best performance out of the speakers. Once again, congrats on the setup! :)

Beautiful setup. It's very clean and neat. The hardwood floor looks great and compliments the dark electronics. Have you experimented with moving the speakers out a little? I found that sometimes electrostats don't like being too close to the back wall. Also, I used to use monoprice cables. I was a non-believer in "cables make a significant difference." I upgraded to some better cables and the sound change was quite dramatic. You may want to experiment. I also commend you on the room's sound treatments. I think this also makes a big difference. It seems like you have a lot of hard surfaces so the system may sound "bright", I bet the sound treatments really help with getting the best performance out of the speakers. Once again, congrats on the setup! :)

Thanks for the comments! I've tried to move the speakers forward a bit and some other configurations. The biggest difference was in how much toe-in I used. The sound stage was a bit strange with them toed in too much. It's one of the fun things about having these; getting to experiment to try to get the best results!

I've been meaning to do the math on placement. I think Martin Logan has the formula for calculating where the speakers should be placed based upon room dimensions. I'm going to give that a shot.

If I could build the room over again I would probably put the front stage on the opposite wall so I could place the speakers in a wider more symmetrical config.

I just installed bass shakers in my couch last week. I have one under each cushion mounted on 2X6s which are attached directly to the metal frame that makes contact with all couch surfaces. I split the LFE out of the amp and ran a cable to a separate sub amp tucked into my "end table." I always thought they were gimmicky, but if set at the proper level they really give the perception of super low bass without the problems too much low frequency causes in such a small room. One of the best upgrades for around $200 I can think of! I won't have them turned on for music listening, but for action movies it's unreal!

I took a new wide-angle shot of the room. Check it out!

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 297
Here are some pics of the bass shaker installation. I've got to finish wrapping my "end table" and buy a better LFE cable. Right now I'm making due with some standard RCAs.

Shaker Install 1.jpgShaker Install 2.jpgShaker Amp.jpg

Here is what everything looks like tucked away neatly:

Couch Shot.jpg

Back