System #431 (Electromotion)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgerchow

Reaction score
1. Burgess
2. Vancouver BC Canada
3. ML Electromotions
4. 2012
5. Primaluna Dialogue 2 integrated tube amp. Cambridge Audio 751 BD for source

My first pair of electrostatics. Wanted some quality sound in my fish room as I sit watching my fish. Great sounding. Even the bass is very good, don't see a need to add a subwoofer, as I'm only listening to 2 channel music. martin logans.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Burgess, I'm sure your fish have 'happy ears' !

Gee, come to think about it, kinda wasted all that money for high fidelity sound for my fish. Forgot they don't have ears. Lol

ok here you go.

fish "listening" to high fidelity. ( I guess at least audiophile vibrations lol )

Attachments

• fish and martin logan.jpg
    fish and martin logan.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 924
shot of my new Primaluna Dialogue 2 integrated tube amp, with upgraded Tung Sol KT 120 power tubes. Sounds great with the Electromotions, and am just waiting for the amp and speakers to be broken in and should be even better.
The reason I went with the Primaluna is that they sound really nice, and even though they are built in China, they have some of the best reviews. What did it for me is that I was looking for a used one, searched all kinds of forums, but hardly any were available in the whole North America. This tells me that either they weren't very good and not too many people bought them,( which is highly unlikely as they won numerous awards from various magazines and sites.) or the most likely conclusion , that they are so good, that people who bought them are keeping them and not selling. Best bang for the buck. $3500 including upgraded tubes.

Attachments

• primaluna dialogue 2.jpg
    primaluna dialogue 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 934
shot of my sources. New Cambridge Audio 751 BD. This will probably be product of the year, as it does everything and does it well. It plays blu-ray, sacd, cd, has 5 wolfson dacs, dedicated analogue outputs for dedicated 2 channel, up converts to 24/192, and is also a music streamer. You can hook up a hard drive or just use it wirelessly through wi-fi. I wanted to future-proof my new system for a least a couple of years, and this player did the job. ( don't actually use the blu-ray though ) Pretty good value for $1300.
only drawback was that it uses onscreen display for navigating, so I had to buy a little 19" tv just to navigate .

Attachments

• cambridge audio bd751.jpg
    cambridge audio bd751.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 940
Good Luck, great lookin system but have to warn you glass
And direct sunlight are the arch enimies of Martin Logans.
How does the hi end sound?

No worries, blinds are always closed in this room. Direct sunlight is enemy of fish tanks also as it promotes nuisance algae.
My main worry actually is humidity, as i do lose about a gallon of water every day to evaporation. Humidity in the room ranges from 30 to 60 %. Still pretty dry though. How does humidity affect Martin Logan's?

Good selection of amplifier and source. Not to mention the very high value, state of the art electrostats. I have read good things about both manufacturers. Prima Luna products have won numerous awards. 42 major awards in 7 years. The awards include 4 Product of the year, 2 Gold Medals, 20 Editors choice and 4 The Absolute Sound Golden Ear Awards. Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD has won the EISA Award for best product 2011-2012. I will now narrow my response to answer your concern about humidity affecting ML's.

I reside in a humid, very dusty and very warm environment. The environment is humid, especially during summer, because the town is situated next to the ocean. It is dusty because of scarcity of vegetation and scarcity of water. Furthermore, to compound trouble for electronics, avg. outside temp. during the summer is 40 degrees centigrade.

For half a decade my CLS have been subjected to this environment. However, i try to minimize the negative effects by keeping the door and windows to the listening room closed most of the time. i also make use of an air conditioner during the summer season.

Based on my experience in this environment i have observed that first, the transparent electrostatic panel becomes opaque. Second, humidity and dust combine to cause a thin layer of dust to attach to the electrostatic panel. Subjectively speaking, the negative effect is nearly 100% cosmetic. So far there is no rust on the CLS.

To conclude, in our town we have electricity shortage along with sometimes varying voltage. On bad days this problem contributes more to diminished sound from my system rather than humidity negatively affecting the ML's.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Rah. Good to know. My area is not that humid as some places in Asia, so I guess I should be ok. Like I said , the highest level of humidity my room has ever gone to is around 60%

Good selection of amplifier and source. Not to mention the loudspeakers. I have read good things about both manufacturers. Prima Luna products have won numerous awards and Cambridge Audio has won EISA best product of the year. I will now narrow my response to answer your concern about humidity affecting ML's.

I reside in a humid, very dusty and very warm environment. The environment is humid, especially during summer, because the town is situated next to the ocean. It is dusty because of scarcity of vegetation and scarcity of water. Furthermore, to compound trouble for electronics, avg. outside temp. during the summer is 40 degrees centigrade.

For half a decade my CLS have been subjected to this environment. However, i try to minimize the negative effects of all three concerns by keeping the door and windows to the listening room closed most of the time. i also make use of an air conditioner during the summer season.

Based on my experience in this environment i have observed that first, the transparent electrostatic panel becomes opaque. Second, humidity and dust combine to cause a thin layer of dust to attach to the electrostatic panel. Subjectively speaking, the negative effect is nearly 100% cosmetic. So far there is no rust on the CLS.

To conclude, in our town we have electricity shortage along with sometimes varying voltage. On bad days this problem contributes more to diminished sound from my system rather than humidity negatively affecting the ML's.

Interesting facts

Most of Us would never have the experience or feedback

Good Luck, great lookin system but have to warn you glass
And direct sunlight are the arch enimies of Martin Logans.
How does the hi end sound?
Thanks beekfor the reminder as I too have these, and my living room in mid-afternoon in the desert sun makes it very BRIGHT and HOT. I'll now make sure to always close the blinds to at least 75% or more.

Back