System #417 (CLSIIa)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olderman

Reaction score
Name: John
Speakers: ML CLSIIa, purchased Summer of 2010, repaneled in 2001, homemade stands, no other modifications.
Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21
Preamp: Audible Illusions L1
Dac: Benchmark Media DAC1
Transport: Oppo BDP-93
A/C: PS Audio P-300 with all upgrades
Cables
Speaker: Mapleshade Clearview Golden Helix Plus
Interconnects: homemade, from AWG 30 magnet wire (copper and silver) and packing tape
Digital: Toslink
Power: PS Audio Xstream Plus
Cassette: Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Radio: Sony XDR-F1HD

Having been a musician and an audiophile for as long as I can remember, I had something of a life-changing moment when I first heard electrostatic speakers in 1968, the KLH Model 9's. It was in a showroom with highly regarded dynamic speakers. As the salesman was A/B-ing them, every customer in the room, as well as the salesman, expressed a preference for the dynamic boxes, except for me. They all said "Listen to the highs, listen to the bass", but I was hung up on the midrange of the 9's. I felt that I would never be able to afford anything as great-sounding as that.
Much later, in 1996, a friend was asking for help in speaker shopping. I'd never heard Martin Logans, but I had read about them, so I said to my friend, "Let's go hear something you can't afford, so you'll know what you're giving up." I took him to a showroom to hear some SL3's. Soon after, he went and bought a pair! He liked them so much, that a few years later he purchased some ReQuests, and loaned his SL3's to me! I was a happy guy.
Last year he had need of his SL3's, so as I had lusted after the full-range stat sound of the KLH9's for so long, I found the CLSIIa's for sale on Audiogon, and there was no turning back.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
John...Great looking speakers..I have the same pair like yours for while, was thinking once to replace them for CLX but their even bigger size is an issue to my wife. So I am considering to repanel the CLS soon. I was at the ML factory back in Summer and was told the panel cost $1500 pair. For old panels which have been using for 15 years plus and still produce decent sound image, then the replacement cost is well worth.
Happy Holidays! Happy Listening!
Pat

Hi, Pat. Good to hear from you. What are you missing that makes you consider replacing your panels? I too am expecting to do that when funds allow, but I'd appreciate your impressions in order to see if they're the same as mine. And Happy Hollidays to you too!

Hi, Pat. Good to hear from you. What are you missing that makes you consider replacing your panels? I too am expecting to do that when funds allow, but I'd appreciate your impressions in order to see if they're the same as mine. And Happy Hollidays to you too!

Hey, there.. sorry for taking long to read your reply. I have not been here since after last x'mas, out of country and can not do nothing.

My main issue for the old CLS is the diaphragm between two stators are sounding out of norm which I can also hear the film viabrated other than music when reaching certain frequancy. I guess, the film is wearing out over time. I contacted ML factory and being told that both eletronic boxes may better need an evaluation check out. Which I did sent them to the factory before setting off for my business trip. Boxes have been returned to my home. Just wait till i get back home end of month to decide what to do with order of new panels. Need 3-4 weeks for new panels they said. Other than the film issue, I found no other is out of the norm, still sounds great. More to come after I come back home. Stay put.

Back