Suggestions on receiver/pre/amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galager

Reaction score
Trying to set up a system for my father. Will be 3 channel, Motion 40's and a 30 center channel. This is primarily a music system for jazz and classical, but plenty will get watched on tv (music is the priority) but we want the center to have same amplification levels.

I originally purchased a Denon 3313 to drive this, but after reading a little, I think it's not quite what we need here. I was going to just get an amp to add to the 3313, or upgrading to a 4311 or possibly a 4520.

Would scrapping the AVR and going with something like the Emotiva pre and amp be better? Was thinking a umc200 pre and an XPA3 or XPA5 (biamp fronts).

I like the ethernet capabilities of the Denons for media servers, which this Emo lacks. How would the 3313 team up with these amps? Any other suggestions?

Hi Galager,

Denon makes a sweet sounding AVR for the money.

What are your performance expectations and in what areas does the Denon fall short?

I assume you have listened to the Denon with the Motions. Correct?

GG

We auditioned the Motion 40's with the 3313. It sounded great. I was unaware of the 4 ohm rating of the ML's and purchased the 3313 cause I thought it was a great deal at $800 (rated at 6-16ohms). I realized the 4 ohm rating of the speaker doesn't come into play all time (maybe never an actual issue) but I've read the ML's are power hungry and could really thrive with a higher quality power source. So I wonder what kind of performance would be left on the table and am slightly and much less concerned that it's too much for the 3313 to handle over the long haul.

Really what we're looking for the best sound quality out of this setup (music first, then theater) within our budget. Like to keep the pre-power portion around $1500 total (the price of a new leftover 4311).

Thanks for talking some sense into me guys. We'll give the 3313 a shot and if he feels the need to upgrade, I'll take it for myself.

My Denon 3313i powered both my Theos and my new Montis with no problems as long as sane spl levels were in order. I reckon your father should keep the 3313i and add a power amp later if you think it's needed. The 4520 is a beautiful receiver, but in your case, it might be an overkill.

Thanks for that info. That's our plan now. The 4520 is overkill when taking into account the number of channels and bells and whistles.

Back