Subwoofer question....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
in order for the wife to approve - Hey Bruce sound familiar!!!

Dan

It sure does Dan.

Having been married twice before for 3 years each and now almost 23 years, I try to keep her happy.

I have heard that if the wife is happy, everyone is happy.

D-Tech & Velodyne are good for matching ML....

but if you're to stay away from the ML subs....

A Bag End infra18 is HARD to beat. I've had one in one of my systems for over a decade. I've heard all the new subs, including SVS which is trying hard to get into the custom installer business. The Infra18 is improved upon, and is better than ever.

I own 3 subs in my house: 2 are Bag Ends, and one is a Descent.

The only speaker brand in my house is Martin Logan. The Bag End is a musical sub and provides the oomph for a HT setup. The Descent is slightly more musical in terms of matching the Summits I own. So the Descent is in the music listening room. The Bag Ends make my HT go thump in the night. However multi-channel music and sometimes 2 channel music goes on in that room, and the Bag Ends rock as well. Splendid for Blues, Jazz, and Rock & Roll. Makes a Cello sound like a Cello and is very relaxing bass with the oomph needed for Classical as well.

I would recommend the DD18 as one of the better commercial subs for the MLs. Or use two DD15’s if you are into stereo subs.

I also highly recommend ACI products, been buying their stuff for almost 20 years and find them to be great value.

To really keep up with the larger ML’s, I would recommend an Infinite Baffle sub as being the ultimate sub.

I used to have two Velodyne ULD-18’s and find my Infinite Baffle (with 4 15” drivers) to be absolutely head and shoulders better than the Velo’s.

JonFo said:
I would recommend the DD18 as one of the better commercial subs for the MLs. Or use two DD15’s if you are into stereo subs.
I do not need the DD models as I already have the SMS-1. Someone else did recommend the HGS series as a possibility. Two 15" Might be some serious overkill for the room size I have of < 2500cf.

I also highly recommend ACI products, been buying their stuff for almost 20 years and find them to be great value.
Yeah, ACI get some great talk about their products. I stopped by their site to view their offerings and read some stuff over at AVS and Audio Circles

To really keep up with the larger ML’s, I would recommend an Infinite Baffle sub as being the ultimate sub.
Hmmm...being that I am already located in a basement, wouldn't I have to do the infinite on the ceiling :D for it work properly - for that infiinte baffle effect???? Ha Ha!!! Or I gues I could just jack-hammer through the concrete foundation floor and build the baffle down below - Conversation would go like this: "Don't worry honey (wife) I am just doing something for the stereo...this hole really won't be seen!!!" Remember the picture of the sub system that was built into the concrete floor floating around the net?

Dan

DTB300 said:
I do not need the DD models as I already have the SMS-1. Someone else did recommend the HGS series as a possibility. Two 15" Might be some serious overkill for the room size I have of < 2500cf.

Yeah, ACI get some great talk about their products. I stopped by their site to view their offerings and read some stuff over at AVS and Audio Circles

Hmmm...being that I am already located in a basement, wouldn't I have to do the infinite on the ceiling :D for it work properly - for that infiinte baffle effect???? Ha Ha!!! Or I gues I could just jack-hammer through the concrete foundation floor and build the baffle down below - Conversation would go like this: "Don't worry honey (wife) I am just doing something for the stereo...this hole really won't be seen!!!" Remember the picture of the sub system that was built into the concrete floor floating around the net?

Dan

Dan, ah yes, you already have the SMS-1, nice unit. Two HGS would not be overkill. No such thing as too much bass (well, you can turn it up too loud, but keeping up with MLs requires lots of displacement).

As for IB’s, well they have been put in some pretty interesting spots. Some people even dedicate a ‘room’ in the basement (sufficiently large of course) to be the back wave of the IB.
The pics of the horn loaded under-the-floor 8 driver (each) sub was pretty crazy, but I liked it ;)

See the Gallery over at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled for just where they’ve been crammed.

By the way, as expected, I’m on the ‘Unusual and Extreme’ install page.

Funny thing just struck me, the tag line for the cult is ‘Thinking Outside the Box”, which of course applies to us ESL-heads as well ;)

Back