Subwoofer or Speaker upgrade (Ethos - Montis)?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTD

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Balanced Force 210 for my Ethos to get a little more (and quicker) low end. Now I don't know if it makes more sense to sell the Ethos and get a pair of Montis instead, or to get a Sub for the System. Price wise, it's pretty similar. Maybe someone has some experience - I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

The Ethos is a very nice speaker, basically the Summit panel, but just a passive woofer system. But nothing wrong with that if you set up to allow it work in the sweet spot, which to me is 60Hz and up for that woofer system.

Adding a sub crossed over at 60 to 80hz would relieve the woofer in the Ethos from the very low end and allow it to play cleaner up in the mid-bass.

So yes, adding a BF210 would be a great way to upgrade the overall bass performance in the rig.

Now, how that is integrated is critical. Do you have a simple 2ch preamp or a processor with crossovers for subs?

The Ethos is a very nice speaker, basically the Summit panel, but just a passive woofer system. But nothing wrong with that if you set up to allow it work in the sweet spot, which to me is 60Hz and up for that woofer system.

Adding a sub crossed over at 60 to 80hz would relieve the woofer in the Ethos from the very low end and allow it to play cleaner up in the mid-bass.

So yes, adding a BF210 would be a great way to upgrade the overall bass performance in the rig.

Now, how that is integrated is critical. Do you have a simple 2ch preamp or a processor with crossovers for subs?

The Ethos has a self-amped woofer, but the panel is narrower and shorter than the Summit's. The Montis has the same sized panel as the Summit.

The difference in the woofer between the Ethos and Montis is that the Ethos has a driven front woofer and down firing passive radiator. The Montis has DSP processing and a single driven front woofer compared to the Summit's two driven woofers.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I do have a "normal" 2ch integrated, but I could get the BF210 with PBK and tune the system. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much "better" the overall performance of the Montis is, as I never heard that speaker. At least, 2 Speakers are more flexible than a 2.1 System.

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Balanced Force 210 for my Ethos to get a little more (and quicker) low end. Now I don't know if it makes more sense to sell the Ethos and get a pair of Montis instead, or to get a Sub for the System. Price wise, it's pretty similar. Maybe someone has some experience - I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

It’s a no brained get the 210

and the Montis ! ......:devil:

The perfect solution :). If you are saying you can get montis or the sub at pretty much same price - I’d do the montis. :).
I always buy into best speaker you can afford. Montis has bigger panel and I think better bass response. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong there.

Go with the sub, your missing the low frequencies in your system without it.

Back