Subwoofer Cable recommendation for Descent i.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longsofty

Reaction score
I am new on site and just got a Descent i Sub. I accidently damaged the Monster M1000 cable I bought cuz it was too short pulling it. I need a longer cable about 25 ft would do. I am not prepared to spend another $175 for the same cable. I have read on interenet that RCA cables dont matter as long as it is not a junk cable and as long as it is shielded. ANy thoughts is appreciated. Also, has anyone bought the MonoCable or Cables To Go cables and if they are any good? they are priced so low.

Hola. Try visit Radio Skack...they might have what you are looking for. Also, you could buy a RCA female plug and replace the broken one, get another RCA to RCA as an extension cable, long enough to reach your needs. Happy listening!

Well no disrespect softy but you have a very expensive sub woofer, but you want to use something cheap on it? To me its like buying a Ferrari and using unleaded fuel. But I digress.

I talk a lot about Magnolia a lot, but it is because those guys are sharp and they treat me well, but my father needed a 55ft sub cable and they made me one on the spot. Its about $2 a ft and then something like $18 bucks for the ends. I think all I paid was a $120 for a 55ft cable. They use all audioquest cables too.

If you're interested call up your nearest Magnolia Design Center and have them make you a really good cable for a good price.

Well no disrespect softy but you have a very expensive sub woofer, but you want to use something cheap on it? To me its like buying a Ferrari and using unleaded fuel. But I digress.

All modern Ferrari's use unleaded fuel.

;-)

I called and spoke to Martin Logan Tech support and now i am more confused. They kind of agree about overprice marketing buzz of cables. I was told a good RCA cable is one that is 15 AWG and shielded, nothing more. Any ideas of a good low cost option? I am sure you pros on this site have experimented.

I am in the same boat. I just bought 2 depth i's . They are just wired with Monster cable for now. I intend on going to Audioquest sub 3 cable. Do a google search on it. Just curious, do you intend to upgrade the stock power cable as well?

I called and spoke to Martin Logan Tech support and now i am more confused. They kind of agree about overprice marketing buzz of cables. I was told a good RCA cable is one that is 15 AWG and shielded, nothing more. Any ideas of a good low cost option? I am sure you pros on this site have experimented.

Good construction, quality connectors, great customer feedback (read the reviews) - and wildly affordable... easily the best value out there: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

I use 4 subs in my system. I have 2 Descents up front on short cables and 2 Velodyne DD-18's in the rear. The Descents are connected with short run RCA's. For the rears my run is nearly 50 feet. I am using standard 75 ohm coaxial cables terminated with RCA's. The results are very good and very cost effective.

Gary

I'm using a Signal Cable SW cable.. seems like a good bang for the buck.. as do most of their cables..

On another note, been doing some reading on subs lately and the cabling thing has me confused. What's the difference between standard audio RCA and a dedicated subwoofer cable? Read my AVR manual last night and it said to use an RCA audio cable from the sub out.

Last edited:
I use 4 subs in my system. I have 2 Descents up front on short cables and 2 Velodyne DD-18's in the rear. The Descents are connected with short run RCA's. For the rears my run is nearly 50 feet. I am using standard 75 ohm coaxial cables terminated with RCA's. The results are very good and very cost effective.

Gary

Translation: "$15,000 in subwoofers.................$50 in cables" :)

Sounds like a MASSIVE system. Need pics!

I am new on site and just got a Descent i Sub. I accidently damaged the Monster M1000 cable I bought cuz it was too short pulling it. I need a longer cable about 25 ft would do. I am not prepared to spend another $175 for the same cable. I have read on interenet that RCA cables dont matter as long as it is not a junk cable and as long as it is shielded. ANy thoughts is appreciated. Also, has anyone bought the MonoCable or Cables To Go cables and if they are any good? they are priced so low.

I have two Descent-i's and two Descents, all have long RCA runs (greater than 12 feet). Audioquest basic sub cable is what I use and it works fine without being hideously expensive.

Thank you all for replies. It continues with the high price recommendations vs. low cost cables. I have read alot of articles that state brands lke audioquest, Monster, ect. are just hype and create a needless worry for consumers. Especially when it comes to sub cables. All articles say that there is a few important things to look for shielded cable and thivk guage. Then I read articles that state low cost cables are horrible. I guess I will never know unless I try a brand.

I have two Descent-i's and two Descents, all have long RCA runs (greater than 12 feet). Audioquest basic sub cable is what I use and it works fine without being hideously expensive.

Yes, that is one thing that seems to be consistant in my research. All articles claim that a goodpower cable will make a difference.

Back