Stereo vs Dolby 2.0

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I have heard many say that the Summits image well enough to eliminate the need for a center channel since the processor can send the center info to the left and right, is this the same as using an analog preamp in stereo mode? The main question is if were to set up a 2.1 or 2.0 channel system would I need a processor at all? Would Summits paired with a Krell 400xi perform well with HT as well as music? My original plan was to replace my Klipsch RC-7 with a Cinema or Fresco and my RF-7s with Vantages and my RSW-15 with a Depth or Descent. But when you add it all up and the additional amps, I may be better off with one pair of Summits and a good integrated amp. Is it wasteful to have a processor and only 2 channels? Is analog stereo and Dolby Digital 2.0 downmix the same? Finally would Vantages work with a phantom center as well as the Summits?

The answer to your question depends on how many people you are watching the movies with. Certainly, 2.0 movies will sound great over the Vantages, and if you sit in the center, the experience will be quite nice. However, if you have people spread to either side of the center, the voices will appear to come from the side of the screen near the closest speaker. The center channel centers the dialog for off center listeners.
For those who sit in the sweet spot, a phantom center or 2.0 is fine.
Chuck

The answer to your question depends on how many people you are watching the movies with. Certainly, 2.0 movies will sound great over the Vantages, and if you sit in the center, the experience will be quite nice. However, if you have people spread to either side of the center, the voices will appear to come from the side of the screen near the closest speaker. The center channel centers the dialog for off center listeners.
For those who sit in the sweet spot, a phantom center or 2.0 is fine.
Chuck

Thank you, and I do understand this but wonder if there is a difference between a processor in 2.0 mode vs an analog only preamp? I guess the difference would be the DVD players dac vs the processor. Is that all?

Actually, the DVD player would become your processor. In the setup, you would tell it that you only have 2 speakers and it will downmix for you.
After running my Clarity's in this mode for over a year and now being full 5.1, I cant see going back. I could live without the rears and maybe even the sub, but now that I have the center, for HT, there is now way I'd do without it. The voices are where they are suppose to be, and are very clear and distinct. I never got that with just the mains.
Your mileage may vary with the Vantage.

Back