Squeezebox / iPod Touch Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
For all you Squeezebox users, I have a quick question.
The site says that the software can be controlled via a web interface. Makes sense for a PC or Mac but since the iPod Touch has wireless and Safari built in, can you control it through the Touch and what is the experience like?
I like the idea of the Duet but the Touch as a controller may end up being a more versatile controller.
Any thoughts?

Yes, you can control it via a web interface - but the interface is very much like you would expect a web interface to be - clunky.

It does serve its purpose though - and does some things better than the remote control.

What may be better is several specifically written remote controls - not sure if they are compatible with the iPod touch though.

I use SlimRemote and I believe it is written in EWE - you may be able to get that working on the touch - not sure. I use it on a HP iPaq running Windows Mobile 2003 and it's great - the only controller I use for my SB3!!

If not, there are a few other remote controls that may work.

I already have a Palm TX gathering dust somewhere and I read somewhere that it will work.
I love streaming music for background and currently have my MackBook streaming to an AirPort Express (optical out to recieiver). All of my new rips are Apple Losless and the quality is pretty good. I use the Griffen AirClick RF remote for basic control if iTunes.
Is there any real audio benefit to moving to the Squeezebox versys my current setup. (do like the carry around remote options)

Well yes, the carry around remotes are fantastic. You can be sitting outisde on the deck and control what you hear from there. I do that all the time!

As to the other advantages, you will have to decide how they fit in with your lifestyle. Personally, I love the idea of not having to interact with a laptop or computer when I'm listening to music, so the Squeezebox is a no brainer!

Thanks Adam.. that's where I think I'm heading.. all my interaction is with the MacBook with a basic RF remote. Once I've fully integrated my upcoming Rega Apollo (still waiting for it to come in), I'll probably go for the Squeezebox. In the mean time, I'll look for the Palm TX software for it. Should be quite nice.

Well, I found my solution. I found a program for the iPod Touch called Signal. It's pretty amazing and works very well. No need to go to a Squeezebox yet plus I can listen to my iTunes purchases.

Linky?

More info please, that sounds intriguing Mickey.

Back