Space Age Bachelor Pad Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satch

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I'm throwing around some ideas for a music project and I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with some of the late 50's early 60's Swank... Atomic Pop, Spy Jazz, Exotica, Jungle Jazz, Space Age Pop, ****tail Lounge, Rat Pack, etc. The whole Tiki Lounge Culture, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, Henry Mancini, etc.

Any opinions or memories of this type of music?

Also I'm looking to buy Albums of this kind.

Satch

Hey Gang,

I'm throwing around some ideas for a music project and I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with some of the late 50's early 60's Swank... Atomic Pop, Spy Jazz, Exotica, Jungle Jazz, Space Age Pop, ****tail Lounge, Rat Pack, etc. The whole Tiki Lounge Culture, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, Henry Mancini, etc.

Any opinions or memories of this type of music?

Also I'm looking to buy Albums of this kind.

Satch

Esquivel is a hoot! I'm not home now so I can't give you a list of his recordings. Never the less I have most of the Rhino releases, and to the best of my recollection are very good recordings. I also have a couple Perez Prado CD's, and although his compositions are right there with Esquivel, the source material for the CD's show its age.
I see the "Spy Jazz" catagory up there. An excellent composition and recording is The Propellor Heads remix of Shirley Bassey's "History Repeating". I forget the name of the album, but it also has more cuts that pay tribute to the "james Bond Soundtrack" style.

Thanks Beakman,

Two albums I recently found: The Music From Peter Gunn composed and conducted by Henry Mancini and the Original Hawaii Five-0 TV Soundtrack.

I'll check out Esquivel, Perez Prado and The Propellor Heads.

Satch

Wardsweb,

Too cool...

Had a problem with Ultra Lounge. I'm going to see if I can get my MacBook to program The Retro ****tail Hour via the Squeezebox III.

Another site with links to all things Tiki Culture is konakai.com

Thanks,
Satch

I have a CD called electro lounge that I just love. It more contemporary but based on the style.

Attachments

• 41YWYGNGA9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    41YWYGNGA9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 141
Henry Mancini composed the soundtrack to "Hatari!". Remember "Baby Elephant Walk" ?

Last edited:
Wardsweb,

Too cool...

Had a problem with Ultra Lounge. I'm going to see if I can get my MacBook to program The Retro ****tail Hour via the Squeezebox III.

Another site with links to all things Tiki Culture is konakai.com

Thanks,
Satch

Here are a few

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/music/B000E6ELHI/holly-ultraloungecd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IP2Z/holly-ultraloungecd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002TZL/holly-ultraloungecd/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/music/B000002U1T/holly-ultraloungecd

Be sure to check out the "customers also bought" titles.

Wardsweb,

Thanks for the links... I found about 10 must haves in 5 minutes:D:D:D

Do you know if any of this stuff is being remastered or any new vinyl pressings?

Satch

This is a great thread and needs to be sent BACK TO THE TOP !!

I have ordered a few of the CDs recommended here and listened to several hours of the radio show. AWESOME boozin' music !!!

~VDR

I can clearly hear the Hawaii Five O theme in my head..

C.A.P., "Book em Dano!" Great LP, although not the best quality recording in my growing collection.

VanDaRo, What stations are you listening to and how good is the quality?

I found some wonderful surprises in the Rhino ****tail Mix "Martini Madness" CD and ordered some LPs by the artists I heard on that. Concetta Franconero a.k.a. "Connie Francis" is one. Along with the Portuguese Bossa Nova, she sings in eight different languages. Another LP I ordered from this collection is Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 just because I liked the tune "Mais Que Nada" so much. The female vocals on this tune melt me. Also recommended as ****tail hour background music is "Best of Martin Denny's Exotica" with the strange bird calls and tribal jungle percussions, "The Best of the Arthur Lyman Group" and any of Les Baxter's stuff for the ambiance of the exotic tropical groove.

Is it Happy Hour Yet?
Satch

I highly recommend (and own both lp & cd of each) the Mancini soundtracks for:
Experiment in Terror
Hatari
Charades
Peter Gunn
NOTE: DO NOT buy a laserlight cd of Henry Mancini "Peter Gunn", it's not original, doesn't even sound like Mancini.

Also, ask at moldy used bookstores..."got used records" (sometimes down in the basement). They're very cheap and you never know what you'll find.

Back