solved problem with "boomy " bass in my Sl3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenake56

Reaction score
I had big problems with too much bass from my Sl3, moving them around the room didn`t help. Then i remebered a test in an hiFi magazine (Swedish) about Sonic Design feets. It`s a soft round foot of a secret material, there is several sorts depending on the weight of the speaker. I bought a package containing 8 feets to my Sl3 (28-50 kg) and that is the biggest change vs cost ever. The bass is smooth and tight as it never have been before ever, and my wood floor just loves them ( no scratches more) here is a web address. What`s the price you wonder, well i think it`s a bargain in Swedish KR 250 probably around 35 USD. http://www.sonicdesign.se

Hi Sven,

Great story. Vibration attenuation can yield amazing results.

May want to check out my post in the "Tweaks" section for further improvements.

GG

Great idea. I use washing machine vibration isolation supports for a similar problem. Hockey pucks may also work.

J

I use hockey pucks to tilt the speaker forward.
SD Feet are famous, and especially essential with Carlsson vintage speakers, OA50, and OA52 for instance but they can be used for all kinds of equipment, turntables also.
Another brand is Tema Isolator, also very effective.

I discovered for myself back in December that the booming is mostly caused by the inductor coil in the woofer's passive xo. Since I went active on the SL3 bass only, the boom has pretty much gone away: you can not only hear the difference, but also see it in the cone movement, feel it in the cabinet and all over the house...
Make your next upgrade an active xo on the bass!

Wow I ever heard anyone say that the SL3 has too much bass. Quite the contrary, mine have absolutely none. I guess I am spoiled though with my 2 JL audio fathom subs!

Last edited:
Wow I ever heard anyone say that the SL3 has too much bass. Quite the contrary, mine have absolutely none. I guess I am spoiled though with my 2 JL audio fathom subs!
Hmm, I don't hear anyone saying that SL3 has too much bass here either....? But I will say my expectations of a paper cone 10-inch in a sealed box have been surpassed. Then again, obviously some people just like 'subby-sounding' bass.

Back