Snubbed by the Elite Reviewers - Again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense to the Vantage owners, but having had both I'd call it a bigger diff than 8%.

Uh oh.... I'm getting out of here.... before this gets messy between Vantage owners and Summits owners.... :eek: :eek: .

I've had 2 Vantage pairs and a Summit pair...... both are superb but I find that the Summits fit my bill more, though at a price.

Joey

Hmmmm....... Let's see Vantage 88%, Summit 96%. That's an 8 percent improvement for only double the price..... ;-) Sorry Joey, I couldn't resist!

It's called Law of diminishing returns. I once thought it wasn't worthwhile spending a lot of money for a small improvement. Nowadays, however, I feel the improvement is absolutely worth it and that's why I am aiming very high now on my next upgrades. Maybe because my listening has become more sophisticated and demanding. I'm sure other people feel the same.

QUOTE=tonepub;55804]No offense to the Vantage owners, but having had both I'd call it a bigger diff than 8%.

However it does depend on your room and associated electronics.

With great source components and enough room, the Summit does posess a lot more dynamic punch and weight. Overall a much bigger sound.

But in a smaller room, the Vantage is tough to beat.

Overall, they are both fantastic speakers though!! I could live happily ever
after with either....
[/QUOTE]

why live with either when you can live with both. After my girlfiriend forgets about my purchase of McIntosh gear( probably around Christmas) I'll purchase the Summits and use the Vantage speakers in my home theatre area in my lower level.:D :devil:
Jim

Because some folks have the funds but lack the space. Or vice versa.

No offense to the Vantage owners, but having had both I'd call it a bigger diff than 8%.

However it does depend on your room and associated electronics.

With great source components and enough room, the Summit does posess a lot more dynamic punch and weight. Overall a much bigger sound.

But in a smaller room, the Vantage is tough to beat.

Overall, they are both fantastic speakers though!! I could live happily ever
after with either....

Sounds like the 8% difference is an average for all room sizes : smaller difference for smaller rooms and a larger difference for larger rooms - is this correct?

What is your definition of a smaller room? What are your thoughts on the benefits of running the Summits in a small room, say 12x15x8 high?

How would you describe the bass between the two models? Spec-wise, this is where the Summit really stands out. Obviously the Vantage is not as deep, but is the Vantage as fast? I think the big knock on the previous generations of Logans including my Ascents was that the bass response was too slow for the panels, and thus was anywhere from mediocre to polite at best.

Does the increased panel size of the Summit make that much more difference for the midrange and other frequencies?

Thanks

Sounds like the 8% difference is an average for all room sizes : smaller difference for smaller rooms and a larger difference for larger rooms - is this correct?

What is your definition of a smaller room? What are your thoughts on the benefits of running the Summits in a small room, say 12x15x8 high?

How would you describe the bass between the two models? Spec-wise, this is where the Summit really stands out. Obviously the Vantage is not as deep, but is the Vantage as fast? I think the big knock on the previous generations of Logans including my Ascents was that the bass response was too slow for the panels, and thus was anywhere from mediocre to polite at best.

Does the increased panel size of the Summit make that much more difference for the midrange and other frequencies?

Thanks

One of thes best ways to determine all of those would be to listen to Summits in a smaller room. I know that both Joey and I have rooms that are smaller than 12 x 15, we are both very happy with them, and driving distance to you, pm us and come by for a listen.

For me even in the small room. (11 x 14) The summits were a serious upgrade. In 2 channel mode I have the subwoofer off. There is no need for it the Summits go down past 25Hz, about 6db down at 20Hz

One of thes best ways to determine all of those would be to listen to Summits in a smaller room. I know that both Joey and I have rooms that are smaller than 12 x 15, we are both very happy with them, and driving distance to you, pm us and come by for a listen.

For me even in the small room. (11 x 14) The summits were a serious upgrade. In 2 channel mode I have the subwoofer off. There is no need for it the Summits go down past 25Hz, about 6db down at 20Hz

Thanks for the invite! We will have to find time to do another Chicago meet.

I guess I wouldn't stuff a pair of Summits in a room that small, but if it's working for you, that's what counts.

Though having had various ESL's for the last 28 years, I am enjoying them
a lot more in a big room where they can get some space from the side walls.

What I noticed with both speakers, was that the overall tonal character was very similar. If Im correct, I thought the Vantage crossed over to the woofer at 400 hz and the Summit at 240hz (is that right?), so the Summit does have just a touch more openness in the upper bass/lower mids.

And of course the Summit goes a lot deeper and has more punch.

However, I think both speakers are fantastic at their respective price point and I would never stick my nose up at someone who preferred one or the other.

Why do you guys care what the rags say? Do you like the way your speakers sound or is this a search for outside validation for a big sum of $$$$ spent?

It's always hard to get the validation no matter what you own.

What I always do is look for a reviewer/writer that likes similar stuff
to myself. Then, if they are interested in something that will usually
prompt me a little more to investigate.

In the end you have to be thrilled with what you have, that's all that matters.

It's like I told the lady at the parking garage the other day when she asked me what I wanted, I said "what we all want, validation"

She did not think that was funny.

Oh well....

I guess I wouldn't stuff a pair of Summits in a room that small, but if it's working for you, that's what counts.
It sounds alright here at my place... I could use some more room though.

What I noticed with both speakers, was that the overall tonal character was very similar. If Im correct, I thought the Vantage crossed over to the woofer at 400 hz and the Summit at 240hz (is that right?), so the Summit does have just a touch more openness in the upper bass/lower mids.

Vantage at 400hz xo.
Summit at 270hz xo.

It's like I told the lady at the parking garage the other day when she asked me what I wanted, I said "what we all want, validation"

She did not think that was funny.

Oh well....

I think that's hysterical. She obviuosly wasn't operating in the same sphere as you at the time...

Back