Sequel ll crossover board

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundlab

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here. Got a pair of Sequel ll running since 1994 and it's about time to do some upgrading of the caps for the crossover board. Can anyone please advise or help? What about Auric caps?
I'd already scrapped out most of the Nextel paint and I'm going to give it a new paint work.
Thank you in advance.

Hi soundlab,

Welcome to the ML fraternity! I just upgraded from Sequel II to Summit. Had problem with the Nextel paint too, but never got down to having it redone. Am sure yours will look great after you've finished with it. As for the caps, I would find out what ML is using for its new generation models and use those. Suggest check with Ivan/Norman Audio.

Ben

Last edited:
My guess is that you probably can do better than the stock caps which ML uses. Speakers must be built to a price point and involve compromises. The more you spend on parts, up to a point, the better things might sound.

Mine Has Solen caps
confused.gif

My Sequel IIs are '89 models though.

Think I will juz change the two 15uf cap and leave the e-cap alone.
Wise decision?

Think I will juz change the two 15uf cap and leave the e-cap alone.
Wise decision?
Best thing to do is make the judgement call yourself.Try both!
My original Sequels will be receiving some upgrades before too long. I'm considering Auricaps, as I've heard good things about them. And I'll be using Alphacore foil inductors. I've used them before and had excellent results with them. They really do sound different than the conventional types! I'll also be replacing the 1N4007 diodes on the boards with HEXFRED diodes. They're MUCH quieter and faster than conventional types. I will double check with Jim Power about that though. They have a much lower impedance which could be a problem.

My original Sequels will be receiving some upgrades before too long. I'm considering Auricaps, as I've heard good things about them. And I'll be using Alphacore foil inductors. I've used them before and had excellent results with them. They really do sound different than the conventional types! I'll also be replacing the 1N4007 diodes on the boards with HEXFRED diodes. They're MUCH quieter and faster than conventional types. I will double check with Jim Power about that though. They have a much lower impedance which could be a problem.

Thanks for the info :D

Hi,
Make sure the replacement diodes have an equivalent or higher reverse voltage rating, the 1N4007 are rated at 1000 volts. They are used in the high voltage rectifier/multiplier circuit, and need that high voltage rating. The circuit works at the 60 cycle line frequency, so the speed of the diode is not at all a priority. The diode impedance should not be an issue, once the panels are charged, the diodes see virtually zero current, just enough to make up for the leakage current of the panel.

Peter

Hi,
Make sure the replacement diodes have an equivalent or higher reverse voltage rating, the 1N4007 are rated at 1000 volts. They are used in the high voltage rectifier/multiplier circuit, and need that high voltage rating. The circuit works at the 60 cycle line frequency, so the speed of the diode is not at all a priority. The diode impedance should not be an issue, once the panels are charged, the diodes see virtually zero current, just enough to make up for the leakage current of the panel.

Peter
The HEXFREDs I'll be using are rated at 3KV. The main reason I want to use them is their quiet operation; they're very close to a tube rectifier, which are just about dead silent. My impedance concern was for the charge-up; I'm concerned about stressing the transformer with more inrush current. Should've been clear on that.:rolleyes:

Back