Room/EQ Management

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmd

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been taking some time re-reading these threads on sub management and room EQ with renewed interest as my (admittedly ancient) dbx 20/20 EQ/RTA recently "passed on" to the great audio room in the sky. It had been on life support for quite a while and recently a decision was made to "pull the plug" :sad:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2853

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3295

I did some googling and checked out the Behringer UltracurvePro 24/96 Digital Equalizer as it doesn't clash with my budget. This site had some very good things to say about it. Of course, some ML Club members have had some horrible experiences with it as well. Needless to say, as a result, I am apprehensive. Some more googling revealed this new piece from dbx: DriveRack® PX Powered Speaker Optimizer. There is no manual online for it yet, but it seems to be a simplified (but not stripped down "feature-wise") version of the dbx DriveRack® PA. Despite the marketing of this piece being geared to self-powered speakers (Purity, anyone?), I can't see why the dbx PX couldn't be used in a more traditional system, say between a processor and amp. Since the connections are XLR, for non-balanced systems XLR to RCA adapters would be needed. I know Cardas offers them for about $75 each.

Anyone have any additional thoughts or ideas?:think:

Well, I called Behringer today about my RA for the DEQ2496 and it was prossesed. Full exchange for my faulty unit. I can't say how the new one will stand up of course, but I have some faith left for them. I just bought the Behringer spec mike and extra cables to alter in anticipation of getting it back.
Save some money at first by getting some adapter cables from a music shop. If all works well, change them out for better ones. also use a test meter to see if pins 1 & 3 are jumped on the XLR end of the adapters, as per Behringer manual.

Well, I called Behringer today about my RA for the DEQ2496 and it was prossesed.

Save some money at first by getting some adapter cables from a music shop. If all works well, change them out for better ones. also use a test meter to see if pins 1 & 3 are jumped on the XLR end of the adapters, as per Behringer manual.

I'm glad to hear that Behringer made good and I'm hoping that you have a better "out of box" experience with your replacement unit.

Regarding cables, I did find these. Obviously not audiophile grade, but inexpensive for testing. The dbx PX is on back-order until mid-March, and hopefully they'll have the manual online at dbxpro.com soon. It's available for $399 from SameDayMusic.com and has a 60-day no-questions return policy. It just might be worth a try.

In the meantime, keep us all posted on your replacement Behringer unit.

Back