Red Book vs SACD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as I type this listening to BeeGie Adair, 'Escape to New York' (CD redbook) playing in the background !!!

Dave, do you Pandora much? I have a few Beegie CDs as well (love her) so I plugged her into Pandora and a wealth of her contemporaries have graced my listening space... some I've never heard of that are simply fantastic. It's worth checking her out on Pandora and letting all that piano-y goodness wash your cares away - assuming you have cares that need washing... I know I do ;)

Cheers

I understand the disappointment of not getting premium sound for premium money when that level of quality can be bought for far less money. I have had some SACD clunkers, but none more so than Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company SACD. In both MCH and Stereo, this is a mediocre-sounding recording. Obviously an artist of Charles' stature warranted the best recording techniques available, so I am bewildered as to why such a mediocre effort was put forth. Too bad, because the music itself is worthwhile.

OTOH, I also understand being pleased with an 'incremental' (for lack of a better term) increase in quality for a premium price. If it moves you, why not? I would think any audiophile/music lover would understand the pleasure that comes from extracting an extra nuance or two from some of our favorite music.

I understand the disappointment of not getting premium sound for premium money when that level of quality can be bought for far less money. I have had some SACD clunkers, but none more so than Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company SACD. In both MCH and Stereo, this is a mediocre-sounding recording. Obviously an artist of Charles' stature warranted the best recording techniques available, so I am bewildered as to why such a mediocre effort was put forth. Too bad, because the music itself is worthwhile.

OTOH, I also understand being pleased with an 'incremental' (for lack of a better term) increase in quality for a premium price. If it moves you, why not? I would think any audiophile/music lover would understand the pleasure that comes from extracting an extra nuance or two from some of our favorite music.

Asindc,

Amen, if the sound was recorded with a specific medium to a specific ear why is an Upgrade? in format worth the trip? Unless of course it was was laid down with the MAGIC medium originally...............

Last edited:
Back