Recommendations for Martin Logan Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthling211

Reaction score
ello experts, I am a noob when it comes to hifi audio and will appreciate your help in answering some of my questions.

I am considering buying the martin logan sources ~$700/each + pioneer vsx 1120 to drive them. My questions are

1) Can the pioneer drive these speakers? I have read comments on this forum that you would need to buy Emotiva XPA3 or similar in addition to the pioneer amp
2) What would be a good center channel that will match the sources?
3) Will buying any 10-12" sub fill the room? or would I need to buy a martin logan sub to match the speakers? My local magnolia rep told me that subs aren't that important for matching and I can buy any sub that fits my budget

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy holidays

ello experts, I am a noob when it comes to hifi audio and will appreciate your help in answering some of my questions.

I am considering buying the martin logan sources ~$700/each + pioneer vsx 1120 to drive them. My questions are

1) Can the pioneer drive these speakers? I have read comments on this forum that you would need to buy Emotiva XPA3 or similar in addition to the pioneer amp
2) What would be a good center channel that will match the sources?
3) Will buying any 10-12" sub fill the room? or would I need to buy a martin logan sub to match the speakers? My local magnolia rep told me that subs aren't that important for matching and I can buy any sub that fits my budget

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy holidays

I'm driving my Sources with a Pioneer Elite SC-37. The answer is that it will drive the speakers, but due to their impedance swing, if you try to push it too hard you can burn out your amp and/or damage your speakers. Which is a basic truism to every audio setup.

In general it's always better to over power than under power. Much of this is related specifically to how hard you like to drive your system. If you want it to go to 11, you're going to need something better to drive the speakers.

I think pioneer with martin logans sounds awful

I bought a pioneer elite avsx01 and have heard the sc25 and my conclusion was that it sounds amazing with cone speakers but not with the electrostats because you loose that lovely airy sound and get a bright harsh sound . Its kinda like a yamaha with cones... much too forward for my liking .

I would say you should go with a pre and amp . Check out the marantz av7005 that can be had for $1100 on videogon and audiogon as it usualy retails for $1500 and has balanced outputs .Pair it up with a sunfiire 200 wpc aamp and youl blow away any receiver because your gona ad an amp in the long run

I bought a tube integrated and realised just how mutch of a diff it makes to martin logans when powerd properly. I feel that my receiver cheated me out of the great sound these speakers I should have been hearing and they sound a billion times better

I think onkyo sounds good with logans and they can be had for buttons.

I bought a matinee centre channel and its just not got the oomph like my polk csi5 did on the bass but it goes great with my source se speakers so I say follow me

I plan to buy another matinee and use them for rear surrounds and buy a stage centre later then move the source back to the rears to pair up with the matinee as it will all have great timbre and add a pair of vistas up front giving me a heavenly 7.1 setup

I plan on getting the marantz av7001 in future when I sell my pioneer

Wow, your local Magnolia rep said that. (IMHO) your local rep should either learn his trade of find a new one.

It is true that you do not have to buy a Martin Logan sub but you don't want just any sub within budget. How big is the room that you will be using? What is your approximate budget? Will you be listening to music/movies what percentage. For example I listen to music about 80% to watching movies 20%. Some subs can roar for the LFE and others are more musical.

Regards,
Gary

Back