Recommend ML for my room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linus

Reaction score
Hi!

Im a former ML owner (Aerius I) and now I want to start listening to music again. So I have decided to invest in a pair of ML again.

Do you have any advice on what ML would be suited for my room. Ill be using a Perreaux 200ip amplifier for them. Older models are also OK.

I include a very basic drawing of my living room.

setup.jpg

Thanks!

/Linus

Last edited:
Tough room with the couch there

Linus,

With the 9' dimension on the back wall and your couch position, IMHO, you are going to have a hard time getting anything to sound good assuming you want to do serious 2 channel listening. The ML's (left speaker) will need to be positioned "away" from the sidewall to sound good. Minimum 2' recommended. That leaves 7' to right edge of the right speaker. If you leave the couch in its current location, with the right side of the couch coming out further "into" the room, the right speaker radiation pattern will be compromised relative to a center listening position.

If you can, relocate the couch opposite the wall where you show the 14'-6" dimension.

Regarding recommends, you'll need to provide us with the usual information. Type of music you listen to, how loud and, of course, your budget. Big difference in what type ML you would want if you listen mainly to small scale classical / jazz type music versus high powered rock and roll / full scale classical music. As you may be aware, ML has basically revamped their entire line with many more choices since the Aerius I was introduced. Another consideration is if you intend to eventually use the stereo ML's as part of a HT system. Once you provide, I'm confident you'll get many ideas from this wonderful forum.

GG

I tend to concur with Gordon, can you do some furniture moving ??

Joey's idea of the Vista would be nice, do you have any ability to audition locally ??

Vista, Aeon-i, Vantage.

I think you can get them to sound quite well, granted you may need some acoustic panels to help diffuse the sound and/or prevent any slap-echo you 'might' have.

I also think many people don't realize that this is quite a common room size/layout in Europe, so don't be discourage by any means. I've seen many member systems on this site who have more compromising set-ups than what Linus will end up having, and who also report back with great results. Auditioning is going to be paramount.

Go for it and enjoy.:D

Last edited:
ok, thanks all.

The 14.5 feet wall contains a big window and a door leading to a balcony, which makes it obsolete to use it. Its a small appartment and I will not be able to make some furniture moving. I will use the MLs in a HT setup (phantom center). Between the speakers I will have a DIY screen for my projector, my plan is to combine the DIY screen with an acoustic panel / absorber. To the left of the left speaker there will be a curtain (or is it drape?, the thing you hang in windows :) pardon my english).

My preference in music is rather wide and contains classic, pop, rock, synth, goth and jazz :). I tend to listen at low volume levels.

New and used prices for MLs is alot higher here in Sweden then in the US so my budget limits me to a used pair. For the moment there is one pair of Aerius I, one pair of Aeon I and a pair of Ascent availible which would fit my budget.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back